Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)
  • Skyline cycles (Glyncorrwg), shop and cafe to close down
  • benpinnick

Yeah I like blade. Agree it’s a bit disjointed, but I like each part in its own right. There are some drainage issues mind. I remember riding last year down one section near the end where the water was pouring out of the hillside onto the trail for quite some way like a posh swimming pool fountain. Definitely unique.

The off piste stuff isn’t generally close enough to be convenient as a detour but some of it is if a quality that would merit being official.

Northwind

rob8624 – Member

Well, steep was mentioned above

Hah, I am an absolute cock, sorry about that! 😆

ctrl
    Free Member

BTW, felling most of the trees on The Wall will start soon.

Not good news. The felling that’s already taken part on the Wall already has ruined those sections. The windfarm I believe to also contribute to Skyline’s downfall too in parts. Used to love riding the full Skyline trail but since the felling it’s a complete waste of time.

marksnook
    Free Member

I was planning on riding afan first weekend in October, you are all putting me off! Skyline cycles have some cheap stuff online though. Gutted I bought a pro frame lid last month for more money!

chakaping
    Free Member

Great little shop with helpful staff and reasonable pricing. Sorry to hear they’re having to close.

Always did W2 from Afan just so we could stop at the café and pop in the shop halfway round (and finish with The Wall descent).

Also sad to hear The Wall’s getting felled, having seen Whites Level get a bit cack in places since the tress went.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

Nah, I don’t think so, it’s absolutely classic water erosion

There are foot peg marks in the gully caused by the bikes – at least there were the last time I was there.

orena45

A few of us from the southwest are off to Afan coincidentally on the weekend of the shop/cafe closure.

Rough idea is Cwmcarn Friday, Afan Saturday and BPW Sunday and W2 at Afan. However a couple of those coming know some of the off piste stuff at Afan so we might do a mix of trail centre and the other stuff. Looking forward to it but a shame to hear the cafe is closing – wonder if any decent bargains will still be there or whether it’ll be a mix of leftover 580mm bars and 120mm stems!

therag
    Free Member

There’s very little left there today

rob8624
    Free Member

Northwind. …. no worries dude!

rob8624
    Free Member

As a local, I hate to see anything negative about Afan (everything is constructive criticism on this thread btw) being written, but things need to move on in the area.

I live within 30 mins of lots of place to ride in S.Wales, including BPW, and I’d ride the Afan Valley before there 100%. I suppose it’s almost old school these days, it’s not manicured so the trails are not smooth, the trails feel natural, there’s not many berms, everyone says hello on the trails as you pass. IT’S FREE. forget the negative comments on here, forget trying to beat your mates times on Strava down Terry’s Belly and ride Blade, it’s long, mostly uphill, not looked after but it’s great.

The area does need to move on though, and I do agree with opening up some of the more technical off piste stuff, making it a destination for the more experienced rider.

Anyway, let’s hope the shop will re-open and the centre remains a hub of the community.

oldnpastit

Anyway, let’s hope the shop will re-open and the centre remains a hub of the community.

+1

Northwind

TBH what surprised me most last time was overgrowth, especially on Whyte’s Level it was encroached with brambles and woody branches and stuff all over the place, especially where there was a line choice. I know why it happens, but it’s a really bad sign when it gets that bad. (bracken and soft growth is one thing, it comes in so fast but on the whyte’s level black option there was a bloomin tree growing out of an option)

OTOH I think it’s pretty awesome that they’ve integrated the offpiste option down from the bike park with signage etc, we have harder/riskier stuff that’s FC managed and even built, but not actually signed.

joefm

The trails haven’t kept up with the way MTB has gone with trails getting more technical.

BPW offers an uplift service and better gravity focussed trails all closer to a lot more people. You also have a lot more riding in non official centres across South Wales.

Personally I don’t enjoy Afan at all. Lots of pedalling and very little reward. If they did a BPW type thing and focussed on descents with an uplift BPW might get some serious competition as the hills there have massive potential.

chakaping
    Free Member

Me and others I know enjoy the pedally nature of Afan and I think it has some fantastic descents, better than a lot of what I rode at BPW – unless berms are your thing.

There’s also a lot of memories attached to the place, so I’m saddened to hear it may be declining further.

Seen lots of Insta pics and footage of the off-piste, will try to seek some of that out as well as doing the customary W2 ride on my next visit. I won’t stop coming to ride there.

Trimix
    Free Member

I’ve always liked Afan because its Old School, peddaly and hard work to get to the downhill bits. Its mountain biking.

Some enterprising person could open an electric bike hire shop there and the lazy uplift lovers would then flock to Afan to go electric for a weekend.

mrlebowski
    Free Member

peddaly and hard work to get to the downhill bits. Its mountain biking.

This. I like earning my turns.

Some enterprising person could open an electric bike hire shop there and the lazy uplift lovers would then flock to Afan to go electric for a weekend.

+1.

maxlite
    Free Member

peddaly and hard work to get to the downhill bits. Its mountain biking.
    This. I like earning my turns.

+1.

+ 2…..but you can stuff electric bikes, unless you are over 60….oh I am 🙂

kiksy
    Free Member

I love Afan.

It’s a trail centre, but it still feels like you’re on an adventure when you do the loops, as opposed to places like BPW which are (quite literally) – bike parks.

The other trails in the area are some of my favourite that I’ve ever ridden, you just have to work a bit to get to ride them.

I can see the problem that if you aren’t great at climbing then its a long slog for each descent, which isn’t an issue at places like BPW.

pictonroad

the next load of money to fix it up. There’s one section- ghost train? that was just ****ed, gully erosion like I’ve never seen, they’ve obviously built themselves a river. But otoh it rode hilariously for all that.

I’d drive to Afan just to session that section, for those of us who dream of barely rideable nonsense it’s a Mecca…

kiksy
    Free Member

the next load of money to fix it up. There’s one section- ghost train? that was just ****ed, gully erosion like I’ve never seen, they’ve obviously built themselves a river. But otoh it rode hilariously for all that.
    I’d drive to Afan just to session that section, for those of us who dream of barely rideable nonsense it’s a Mecca…

Yep. Last time I rode it I was trying to work out if there was a quick way round to hit it again it was so fun. Horses for courses.

JackHammer

Ghost train is the best bit of the blade trail! It’s like almost natural haha. The last rocky bit into the trail center is nuts in a “I’m so effing tired, omg please stop”

oldnpastit

Is the cafe re-opening under new management or closing down for good?

Planning a trip and there needs to be a cafe!

misterlee
    Free Member

Café at neighbouring Afan Argoed is still open. Though when I was there last week, was told not to sit down anywhere because I was “too dirty”? Acceptable in a high street café, but a mountain bike centre café?

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

That’s a real shame. I like Afan – There’s easily a long weekend of good riding in and around the valley. The off piste stuff at the Masts is worth a visit. I like Blade though I think it suffered from really shitty weather and motorbike use when it first opened. I was there when it was only a few weeks old and I think Ghost Train already looked ragged with sheets of reinforcement fabric flapping about. You can put a lot of effort into drainage but if some one smashes through it on an MX bike and you don’t have the budget to repair you’re lost. CwmCarn is ok but the loops are so short you need to ride both to get a decent length loop and even then it’s sub 4 hours at a relaxed pace.

I suspect the thing that’s hit Glyncorrwg hardest is the refurb at Afan (which is closer to the M4 so the place most visitors will get to first). The Afan centre used to be grim – the old cafe that had the feel of a prison canteen and food to match and i was never sure what the rest of the building was used for. The cafe now has windows onto a terrace and decent food (whereas the food at Glyncorrwg has never been as good as when Ian first opened it). We were there earlier in the summer and Afan was doing a good trade.

The bike shop also feels connected to the cafe and centre. The building at Glyncorrwg ponds looked good but the layout was very odd with the end that faced the car park mostly wasted.

Steve’s a nice guy and his staff were good too – I wish them all the best.

mikertroid
    Free Member

That’s a shame.

I haven’t been to Afan however for probably 4/5 years as I found it not worth the extra hour+ heading past Cwm Carn. Plus too many stories of thefts to make it an attractive stop over and the felling ruined the place.

Was planning a bike/surf bivy mission in a couple of weeks to BPW but it’s been fully booked for ages. So looking forward to Cwm Carn instead as it’s been a year since I’ve been there.
    South Wales has so much to offer as an area….

P-Jay
    Free Member

The trails at Glyncorrwg are becoming pretty unique in South Wales, they’re tight, rocky single track like we had on all the TCs 5-10 years ago, but everywhere else has got wider, smoother and a lot more flowy, more bike park like, but it’s nice to have the option.

idiotdogbrain
    Free Member

I actually prefer Glyncorrwg/Afan for that exact reason – it feels more natural and less built than most centres, and once you get right out there it feels pretty lonely. This blown-out section of Blade sounds fun, think I might have to go ride it!

ragsdog1
    Free Member

it was the people of the glyncorrwg ponds who did this

munrobiker
    Free Member

U wot m8?

Mbnut
    Free Member

Saw this thread resurrection and was all excited about seeing what it said….

I second ‘you what mate?’

By the way, it’s still a great destination and the cafe is awesome.

martinhutch

I, for one, didn’t realise there were people living in those ponds.

Rubber-Duck

@Mbnut the Café and the bike shop are run by the same family and as you say the café is great. Great food great local beer and lovely friendly atmosphere. The shop is also friendly and helpful and we always have a great time when we visit.

Kamakazie

Odd timing for that post but it looks like Skyline is having work done at the moment for a full reopening in the summer.
    Blade also had some more work to fix certain bits.

I much prefer Afan to CwmCarn but it could really have done with all being based out of the same centre. With the 2 plus the cafe at the top it’s no surprise businesses have struggled.

oldnpastit

Skyline reopening? That would be great.

Kamakazie

Yup.
    MB Wales Instagram

An earlier post shows work to the skills park as well.

mrmo
    Free Member

any idea of timescales and any idea as too what the new skyline route will be? Similar too before or simply a name share?

Kamakazie

Nope, I’ve got no further info unfortunately. Try sticking a question on the Instagram post

P-Jay
    Free Member

Well they’re stating 46k so that sounds like the old Skyline (44k of fireroads followed by a decent descent 😉 )

mooman
    Free Member

It doesnt feel that it was that many years ago that you had to get to Glyncorrwg before 10am to get a space in the carpark. Every weekend it was packed.

The cafe and bike shop used to do great buisiness. I guess mtbing has been losing its popularity for a number of years now. How long before road biking follows a similar pattern?

It seems that most of the people I used to mtb with progressed onto road bikes after a few years (probably as the weight dropped off and wearing lycra didnt look so silly) … what is the next fad after road bikes? motor bikes?? e-bikes??

Twodogs

I loved the old Skyline…felt much more remote than the rest of them. And it had some lovely singletrack sections (which may not be so nice now as a lot of the trees have gone)

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 92 total)

The topic ‘Skyline cycles (Glyncorrwg), shop and cafe to close down’ is closed to new replies.