Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Sky vs Virgin ? Whose dunnit…?
  • Kryton57

Anything to be concerned about with the exception of the loss of Sky Movies & Sports as standard (on our current package anyway)?

I’m finding a December price increase to £89 a month too much to stomach, when I could be paying £52 AND get 200mbps not 30mbps broadband…

bikebouy
    Free Member

You Sir are not the only one thinking of shifting over.

BM’d for further reading..

Kryton57

…and HD included as well, I don’t have that on my current Sky Sub.

just5minutes
    Free Member

We got rid of virgin – the headline 150 mbit broadband spent months spluttering along at less than 10 mbit . Over a year of broken “fix dates” and periods when it didn’t work at all meant that we gave up and went to BT which hasn’t missed a beat in the 3 years we’ve had it – a steady 70 mbit is much more useful than an occasional 150meg. Our neighbours tell us the virgin service still has outages all the time so we’re glad we dumped them.

BT has also been much more useful than expected for the hotspot network to the point I have data turned off on my phone most of the time – in most places it finds and automatically connects to BT wifi.

We had Sky for a few years at the last place and like BT didn’t have any problems with it.

Cougar

…and HD included as well, I don’t have that on my current Sky Sub.

It looks to be standard on current packages, maybe ring and get them to change it?

Or as you say, jump ship. I would if it was an option for me.

the-muffin-man

I’d love to ditch Sky, but F1 is the hook they’ve got me by.

I’m still on the original ‘F1 is free with the HD pack’ deal, so it would cost me a small fortune to sign up again if I wanted.

P-Jay
    Free Member

I would if I could get cable, or fibre.

I’ve got a real love/hate thing with Sky, every year they put the price up, every year I think “I could do a lot with £80 a month” then the wife reminds me that I need Internet at home for work, so I have to have a landline so that’s £25 a month or there about.

So I could tell them to burger off, but I’d ‘only’ be saving £55 a month, I could still “do a lot with £55 a month” but of course I’m reminded that I quite like Game of Thrones, and Gold Rush, and Fast n’ Loud, and The Walking Dead etc. Also I won’t let much get in the way of my weekend ride so if I want to watch the F1, or MotoGP etc when I get home I’ll need some sort of Sky+/TIVO type thing and they’re bloody dear. So I think “we watch too much TV, we should go out more” and finally I’m reminded I’ve got two young kids whose bedtimes start at 6.30pm so I couldn’t really go anywhere anyway.

I thought I could live with Freeview, but then they mostly show Women TV during primetime now, endless soaps and programmes about houses I can’t afford or ‘talent’ shows with badly scripted drama and pantomime ‘celebrities’ to boo at and I’d rather not.

So, I mutter a few swear words and keep giving money to Murdock.

wrecker
    Free Member

Knowing what to ch
    Oose shoul
    Dn’t just be down to what add ons you want. There are opt
    Ions 😉

disco_stu
    Free Member

If your on Sky just ring and cancel, they kept calling me back.
    I took the call about a week or so after cancelling and managed to halve my Sky bill ( TV / Phone / Broadband / Sky Sports )

As this offer has just run out I’ll do the same with the option to move to BT if I’m not happy. BT with a NowTV box ( for GoT, box sets etc ) will probably do me fine.

craigxxl
    Free Member

I’ve been with Virgin since they were NTLworld. Got to say they have been reliable, broadband speed that actually lives up to those quoted and the TIVO box has been great.
    You still still get shafted with price increases everytime they announce their latest feature that you never wanted. There is no Sky Atlantic on Virgin so plenty of great shows you’ll miss out on unless they decide the previous series on Sky One.

P-Jay
    Free Member

disco_stu – Member

If your on Sky just ring and cancel, they kept calling me back.
    I took the call about a week or so after cancelling and managed to halve my Sky bill ( TV / Phone / Broadband / Sky Sports )

As this offer has just run out I’ll do the same with the option to move to BT if I’m not happy. BT with a NowTV box ( for GoT, box sets etc ) will probably do me fine.

They’ve caught onto that now, all their agents have access to a database of cable coverage, fibre coverage etc – if you’re in a cable area and you tell them you’re moving to Virgin they might offer you a deal, but they’re only looking to beat Virgin by a small margin to make the hassle factor to great for most people.

If you don’t live in a Cable area they’re pretty much don’t give a monkey’s.

robj20
    Free Member

Ive just cancelled Sky, for real though. The latest deal i have had is the full package i used to be on. All entertainment+movies+HD, for £16 a month. They just dont listen though i told them i was moving home and didnt plan on having a tv license. Catch up is all i use now.

Even if i did go back it would be via Now TV.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Sky vs Virgin ? Whose dunnit…?’ is closed to new replies.