• This topic has 8 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by pk13.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Sky Q Hub WiFi Woes
  • oikeith

Before I waste a few hours of my life on the phone to sky, can anyone suggest anything. I have Sky Fibre putting 40mbs into the Sky Q Hub router, however my wifi speeds barely exceed 20mbs sometimes dropping below 10mbs!

I have used my Mac to search wifi channels and toggled several channels to no avail for both the 2.4ghz and 5ghz bands. When searching for wifi channels, only a couple of other networks showed up.

What else can I try to improve the wifi speeds? My house isn’t full of wireless tech, the only things on constantly are two chromecasts, only me and the wife in the house using a phone each and occasionally a tablet.

DezB
    Free Member

Is it the wi-fi speeds? Or the internet? I just changed to Sky to save some dosh and the internet speeds are woeful. However, the wifi in the house is pretty good.

oikeith

The admin page for the router says 40mbs is being recieved by the box, so id say wifi speeds not overall speed. I havent been able to check the LAN speedyet, but  have an ethernet cable on order to check it.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Brother in law has the same problem. He’s a bit of an internet sleuth type who will search for info to the nth degree as he tosses it off in the office most days, his conclusion from various forums and web pages is that the hardware is shit and sky know full well of the problems but aren’t keen to help.

somouk
    Free Member

I’m with Sky and never had an issue with their wifi speeds but live in a modern box type house so not much to stop it.

I’d suggest using your mac to do a wifi channel scan properly instead of randomly swapping channels, try and get at lest 2 channels between you and the stronger signals in the area:

Wi-Fi Scanner Tool is Native in Mac OS X, Here’s How to Use it

Also consider things like wifi placement, if you have an older house then split your wifi in to 2.4 and separate networks and join stuff to the 2.4 which will permeate the walls better.

Cougar

How old is the Mac?  Older Wi-Fi cards will cap out at those sorts of speeds irrespective of how good your router is.

Run a speedtest from your phone, is it the same?  https://www.speedtest.net/apps

Do you have a young person in the house?

riddoch

Are you actually connecting to the hub? Sky q uses the TV boxes as WiFi repeaters. They all appear as the same network name and its never clear which one you connect to. If the TV boxes use wifi rather than powerlines to connect to hub it may limit the WiFi speeds.

oikeith

I’d suggest using your mac to do a wifi channel scan properly instead of randomly swapping channels, try and get at lest 2 channels between you and the stronger signals in the area

I did use the mac in this way, the program actually suggests the best 2 channels to try, I have tried the channels it suggests a few times now, they are typically the other end of the scale, the couple of 2.4ghz networks nearby used channels 11 and 13, I moved mine down to 1 and 2 as well as 6 and some others but saw no improvement when using the speedtest app on my phone. There were no other 5ghz networks in use.

Are you actually connecting to the hub? Sky q uses the TV boxes as WiFi repeaters. They all appear as the same network name and its never clear which one you connect to. If the TV boxes use wifi rather than powerlines to connect to hub it may limit the WiFi speeds.

How would I tell? the Sky Q box does connect via Wifi, it isnt hardwired via LAN.  I have been toying with getting a long ADSL cable and moving the router to be next to the Sky Q box and connecting via Ethernet cable.

How could I tell if I am connected to the 2.4ghz channel or the 5ghz channel? would splitting them out as two separate networks help? the house is late 70’s inner walls are compacted cardboard with plaster, outer walls are bricks so shouldnt be causing an issue I’d like to think.

pk13

Turn the 2.4 off on the tv boxes and push your traffic to the hub

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Sky Q Hub WiFi Woes’ is closed to new replies.