Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Sky HD question – cancelling…
  • the-muffin-man

If I were to cancel the ‘HD’ bit of my sky subscription will I still be able to get the main channels in HD? (BBC channels, ITV and Channel 4 etc.)

There seems to be conflicting evidence on’t Google!

Ta!

tracknicko
    Free Member
    the-muffin-man

Yes thanks tracnicko – but I like to get my facts right before phoning Sky! They are very good at making it easy to upgrade, not very good when you want to go the opposite way.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I recently had this whole discussion with Sky when I said I would leave them because I wanted HD without having to pay for it.

The guy confirmed that if I paid for a Sky HD subscription for one year, then after the year the Sky HD box would still receive the HD channels you get on Freesat. So I am now paying £30 for the year and got a free HD box, worked out much cheaper than Freesat!

Edit – Should have said I only had a Sky + subscription before and the option was stay with Sky or go Freesat.

tracknicko
    Free Member

aye but you wont get ‘facts’ just ‘experience’ on a forum.

ring em and tell them what you want.

mtbmatt
    Free Member

You still get C4 HD, BBC HD and other free to air HD channels.
    We cancelled the HD subs after the year was up, hardly ever watched channels like Sky One HD or Sky Movies/Sports. BBC HD has some good content though, worth having the box for that.

Chris.H
    Free Member

I’ve recently done this, saving the £10 per month HD fee. They will do it as long as you have had a Sky + HD subscription for more than 12 months. You should also retain the recording facility.

If you cancel your subscription completely, you will still get the equivalent of freesat (inc HD channels), but you will lose the recording facility.

dooosuk
    Free Member

I’ve got the basic Sky Subscription (£19/mth) but got a free Sky HD box last year as they don’t do the normal Sky+ ones anymore.

I receive BBC HD, ITV 1 HD etc. but I don’t think I get ITV 2 HD, E4 HD etc as they’re part of the Sky HD package.

unovolo
    Free Member

I’m a Sky Engineer and don’t trust anything the callcentre staff tell you,
    We get f3cked over by them all the time.

On a more positive note,If you cancel the HD subscription but retain your standard subscription ie.Variety or Knowledge packs etc,
    then you will still have all the Free to View HD channels, which should be BBC HD,BBC One HD,ITV One HD,Channel 4HD,Channel 5HD,Luxury Life HD,and NHK world HD.

As long as you retain a subscription of some sort you will retain the recording facility.
    If you have had the box for over 12months then in theory you can cancel all your subscription and retain the box to use as a freesat box,however the recording facility would then be disabled(Including the ability to view stuff you have previously recorded) unless you pay £10 a month purely to enable the recording function.

Also be aware that in Sep they are going to change all the packages.
    They are supposedly going to combine and simplify the packages into 2,entertainment & entertainment extra.
    Most people should gain extra channels for no extra cost.

Hope that helps

andygreener

Actually on the subject if sky hd I upgraded in march to hd because of the free install, hd box and £100 m&s vouchers. I know they had massive problems but it’s 3 months later now. Are other people still waiting for their vouchers?

Cougar

If you cancel the HD subscription but retain your standard subscription ie.Variety or Knowledge packs etc,
    then you will still have all the Free to View HD channels

You’re f’kn kidding me? I’m paying ten quid a month for Sky HD and RushHD? Cock to that, I feel a phone call coming on. Now showing on Sky Movies, “Disingenuous Basterds.”

phead
    Free Member

Just to add to this if you do tell them where to stick their box they will offer 6 months at half price, but can be sniffy about downgrading at the same time. Leave it 4 weeks cancelled and they will offer 1 year at half price.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Ok slight thread hijack… What I find a complete pain with Sky HD is that it doesnt automatically tell you if you can watch the equivalent programme in HD.

I know my Father-in-Laws Freesat box will tell you that there is an HD alternative to record.

unovolo
    Free Member

@Andy Greener , Have a read on Digital Spy there are loads who still have not received there vouchers,Chase them up otherwise you may never see them.

@Cougar
    , I think you will find that they removed “Rush HD” from the listings a couple of months back,and replaced it with “New Hongkong World HD”.
    God only knows why?

As a engineer there are loads of things we have suggested to improve both the cust experience and useability but we mostly seem to get ignored baring in mind that we have a better idea of the customers wants and needs.

Cougar

I think you will find that they removed “Rush HD”

Damn it. I really enjoyed that (though obviously not enough to realise it’d gone).

Cougar

there are loads of things we have suggested to improve both the cust experience and useability

Custom font sizes would get my vote. I’ve got a 42″ 1080p panel that’s close enough to kick, I’m sure you can fit more than six lines of text on the EPG.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Sky HD question – cancelling…’ is closed to new replies.