Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Sky+ HD box, any alternatives? Need to keep Sky
  • downhilldave

So I have Sky at home, have to as I can’t get a good enough signal via an aerial. Can’t get cable, too far away from the supply. Resigned to the fact that I have to keep paying Sky for their services. My Sky + Hd box is failing,keeps freezing and needing re-booting. Is there an alternative that would work with Sky and it’s card, keeping the program listings/search functions etc. Hopefully better quality hardware with maybe larger storage?

ton

plenty of streaming boxes available that run off dish and router.
    spiderbox
    dr hd
    blade
    technomate

downhilldave

Cheers Tony,will do some research. Just what I was after.

ton

I can help if needed.

martinhutch

I would’ve thought that Sky would replace the box either free or a nominal cost if you threaten to leave (or even if you don’t). I have similar freezing/rebooting issues.

You can upgrade to a much larger hard drive sky box as well for not that much.

See the FAQs on this linky

If this is getting in the way of new shiny, ignore me.

cranberry
    Free Member

So I have Sky at home, have to as I can’t get a good enough signal via an aerial

You could use Freesat instead, in which case the answer would be “whatever Humax set top box is current”.

Cougar

Ring Sky.

“I want a new box, this one’s broke.”

“Certainly, that’ll be £100.”

“I’m not paying that, and as I can’t receive your signal, I’m leaving.”

“Your box is on its way, sir.”

(… is how that scenario always played out in my head)

phead
    Free Member

>(… is how that scenario always played out in my head)

That how it plays out in reality as well, I’ve done it twice.

Then a couple of weeks later cancel the whole thing, they will offer 30% off, ignore that. Before it disconnects they will be back with 50% off.

If you are willing to disconnect it for a while they will also return with a 75% off.

Alphabet

Freesat runs from your Sky dish. Just buy a Freesat box and plug it in (it uses the same cables/connectors). Once you’ve bought the box there’s nothing to pay. Of course you won’t get Sky or premium channels so it depends if you need them.

downhilldave

Tied into Sky with, Tv, WiFi,and phone so the “I’m leaving” not an option I’m afraid. Still doing some research with ton’s options. Got a Freesat jobbie in tv, would like to keep my Sky premium stuff.

jfletch
    Free Member

Other companies do offer internet and phone and will give you a cracking sign up deal.

+ even if you do threaten to leave you don’t actually have to.

So here’s how it does

You: I’m leaving if I don’t get a new free box
    Them: Sorry sir, we can’t do that
    You: Ok cancel my contract

1 week later
    Them: Hello sir, can we persuade you to stay, we’ll give you 25% off
    You: That would be great, I’d need a new box though since this one is borked
    Them: Sorry sir, no free boxes
    You: Ok, I’m still leaving then

3 weeks later
    Them:Hello sir, can we persuade you to stay, we’ll give you 50% off and a new box for free
    You: <Bites off arm>

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

jfletch – You cant leave if you are under contract.

and just checking the website a new standard HD box is £199 + £60 installation, a 2 TB £249 + £60…

pedroball
    Free Member

Are you still in the 12 m contract? I moved to Humax and switched to EE broadband and phone (with £120 cashback through Quidco). Same functionality as with Sky, but I paid £200 up front for the Humax box and now pay about £22pm to EE rather than £60 to Sky…

jfletch
    Free Member

jfletch – You cant leave if you are under contract.

Where did the OP say he was under contract?

avdave2

Now really is the time to threaten to leave sky. They’ve just agreed to pay 11 million a game for premiership football, they are going to be desperate to keep you. According to the bbc in 2016 premiership football will account for 27% of all spending on TV content in the UK while pulling in 0.5% of Total audience. Strikes me that they might be a little nervous about people leaving.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Sky+ HD box, any alternatives? Need to keep Sky’ is closed to new replies.