• This topic has 27 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 2 days ago by Muke.
Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • SKY connection question
  • Premier Icon singlespeedstu

This may seem like a dumb question but here goes anyway.

We have bought a new house and are getting Sky installed.
    The previous owners had the TV on one side of the lounge when we went to view it.
    The input cable is on opposite wall but there is no trace of where a wire was been run from there to where the TV was?
    I don’t recall seeing a wire when we viewed either.
    How did they get the TV to work with no cable?
    They also had a TV in one of the bedrooms with no trace of any wires to run it?

How do we do this please?

Premier Icon scaredypants

“any” wires ? Not even a socket in the wall ?
    Sky do little multiroom boxes which can connect to the master box on wifi. Maybe it was that ?

Premier Icon singlespeedstu

There was a power wire for the TV nothing else visible.
    Does the Sky box connect to the router wirelessly?

Premier Icon Tracey

We upgraded to Sky Q. Main box is connected to router remotely and the mini boxes all connect remotely and act as WiFi boosters. They need to be plugged into the TVs.
    We have one booster box so we can connect whilst in the garage

Premier Icon martinb
    Free Member

Sky Q can have secondary boxes that are connected by WiFi if you have good signal, they also do wifi booster boxes that can also be connected to the secondary sky box on cat6 cable

Tracey.
    Thanks for explaining in a manner I can understand.😄

Premier Icon Muke
    Free Member

Cheeky Sky connection thread hijack…

Is it possible to unplug a Sky hd box, take it into another room, plug it into a tv and watch something that you have previously recorded on that box ?

I could just try it of course but it’s going to be a faff, I’m lazy and someone may already know the answer.
    Thank you

Premier Icon martinb
    Free Member

Yes, you should be able to do that as long as the card is in the box.

Premier Icon Cougar

Does the Sky box connect to the router wirelessly?

For networking:

Sky HD has to be wired to the router (or at least, mine does).

Sky Q – the only option these days – does not. In fact, IME you’re better off not doing so and using Wi-Fi.

Both still require cabling up to the satellite dish though. It’d be easier to advise if you can come up with something more descriptive than “input cable.”

It’d be easier to advise if you can come up with something more descriptive than “input cable.”

The only things on the wall apart from power sockets are what looks like a TV aerial socket and a BT openreach socket

Premier Icon Tracey

If you don’t have a Sky dish then Sky will run the cable when installing. If you have a Sky dish then follow the cable from outside.

The previous owners had Sky but there doesn’t seem to be a dish anywhere on the outside of the house?

Premier Icon stumpyjon

Our Sky HD is WiFi only, but obviously shotgun cable to link to the dish.

Premier Icon bigfoot
    Free Member

Sky Q – the only option these days – does not. In fact, IME you’re better off not doing so and using Wi-Fi.

not sure how using wifi can be better than being wired. our main box is right next to the router so has always been wired connection, when first setup the mini box was setup wireless but almost immediatly started having connection issues, luckily i was expecting it to happen from what i’d read up so had fitted ethernet cables when i had the wiring done.

Premier Icon pk13
    Free Member

Has the face plate got a sat feed on it screw on connectors rather than push on.

Thay may of had the Q box hidden and a longer HDMI cable the box is a Bluetooth remote now no need to have it next to the TV mine are hidden one in the loft the other in a wicker hamper box.

It’s not a “see the light property” new build with a gtu is it

Premier Icon Cougar

The only things on the wall apart from power sockets are what looks like a TV aerial socket

That’s probably the terrestrial aerial then. Push-fit connectors. As above, if you’ve got a satellite faceplate they’re screw-fit (“F-connectors”) and Sky+ requires two.

No other connectors anywhere that we have looked.
    House is four years old no idea what gtu is?

Premier Icon pk13
    Free Member

Gtu property will have a communal dish but NOT like a block of flats have your neighbors got dishes on the wall outside?

Gtu is
    Main dish on comms shed full fiber to house that takes your BB/FREE TO AIR/and sky signal.
    Gtu box splits the signals up.
    Very common in Milton Keynes Northampton Oxford area.
    Also a very nice system when it works.

Or maybe the old family just took the dish down and filled the holes.

Judging by the number of holes in the plasterboard were they’ve hung pictures with screws straight into the plasterboard I doubt they’ve removed or filled anything 😣

Premier Icon zzjabzz
    Free Member

Maybe they had a Firestick or the like running some dodgy IPTV service giving them Sky channels?

Premier Icon Cougar

Hang on a minute.

Did the previous owners actually have Sky? Or is the answer to your question “they watched terrestrial TV using the aerial connection you’ve already described”?

The bedroom one could’ve just been for DVDs?

I’m not sure how they could have been using the terrestrial aerial as the socket is on the opposite side of the room to where the TV was and there was no cable run when we viewed or any signs of a cable run now.
    also can’t see an aerial on the outside of the building.
    Oh well I’m sure Sky will enlighten me when we move in.

Premier Icon pk13
    Free Member

Arial will be in the loft

Premier Icon simondbarnes

I’m not sure how they could have been using the terrestrial aerial as the socket is on the opposite side of the room to where the TV was and there was no cable run when we viewed or any signs of a cable run now.
    also can’t see an aerial on the outside of the building.
    Oh well I’m sure Sky will enlighten me when we move in.

You don’t need an aerial, a satellite dish or Sky to watch television. All you need is an internet connection.

Premier Icon Tracey

They could have been watching Sky Go through a computer

Think I’ll just use my time to re shim the valving on a fork or something and let the Sky installer sort it out for me.😄

Premier Icon FuzzyWuzzy

Sky’s dishless service hasn’t been launched yet so either they just had a Sky Go subscription (my brother uses mine) or they just had NowTV (Sky’s streaming service but with limited channels)

Premier Icon Muke
    Free Member

“Is it possible to unplug a Sky hd box, take it into another room, plug it into a tv and watch something that you have previously recorded on that box ?”

Oh well I gave it a go , Sky box says no connection but you may be able to watch pre-recorded programs, please wait sky box initializing and that’s it. Seems to stop working at that point.

Plan B is a long HDMI extension cable.

Is there a limit on how long ?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.