Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sky
  • bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

Any idea how to get a better deal out of these lot. She is currently paying at least £60 a month for sky sports, movies etc and using a standard definition box from 2002. She has bought a brand new Samsung 4k and as you can expect with a none HD output coming from the box it doesn’t do £1000+ tv any justice. I know she can’t get a 4k signal but hd would be a improvement.

All I want from Sky for her is a HD sky+ box and fitting. Will they accomodate this or is it a case of threatening to leave and try and haggle.

disco_stu
    Free Member

I halved my bill by cancelling my contract. I got quite a few calls and emails asking me to come back but I waited 2 weeks after cancelling before I took the call – I was prepared to move to Virgin if what they offered wasn’t to my liking.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Decent internet speeds? If so 2 words: Android Box.

njee20
    Free Member

At the very least you can just buy an HD box online and stick your card in. You get BBC1/2 ITV and C4 HD without paying any extra.

But yes, the tactic seems to be threaten to leave.

philbert31
    Free Member

Just phone up and tell them your gonna cancel as its too expensive and not affordable anymore, they’ll bend over backwards to keep you. My dad uses this method to great effect and pretty much tells them what he wants pay!

martinhutch

Sky will want to give her an HD Box in order to try to sell her HD channels in future, I would have thought.

As above too, paying £60 a month she’s in a strong position with Sky if she phones up and threatens to leave. TBH she should get a bit of money off her monthly if she has a conversation with them.

muddy9mtb

what they said, follow this guide if not clear enough http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/cheaper-sky-cheap-cable

andy4d

My ancient sky plus box packed in an they told me they dont make them now so offered me a sky plus hd box as a replacement, no charge.They also upgraded our second even older standard box to an hd box as well as we have multiroom but this one cost about 30 quid .

martinhutch

I think there’s an HD box with a bigger hard drive now she should push for rather than the standard HD box.

the-muffin-man

If you want and watch all those channels then pay for them (or jump through Sky’s hoops to get a better deal).

If not cancel Sky and get Freesat or Freeview installed.

jambalaya
    Free Member

FreeSat box uses the same dish as Sky, they do cost a bit though £75-100 for something decent. You could probably install both the FreeSat and the Sky into the same TV.

If you threaten to cancel they will 100% give you a deal. You may be on the phone for some time.

martinhutch

You don’t need a freesat box if you leave. You can just carry on using the Sky box with the card (without recording capabilities).

bwfc4eva868
    Free Member

They do both watch the majority of the channels especially Sports. But she definitely needs the benefit of recording. Will I be able to speak to them or is it the account holder only?
    I’m with Virgin and although more expensive they good enough for me.

martinhutch

They may expect to be rung up from the phone line that’s either provided as part of the deal or the one in their records anyhow. You’d have to pretend to be the account holder!

If you can knock the price down a bit and get an HD box, then go back to the website and upgrade to the ‘family pack’ for £6 a month more (it includes all the HD channels and box sets) – you’ll get a free Galaxy Tab 4 as a bonus.

Has she got the ‘On Demand’ connector thingy – that’s free too.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sky’ is closed to new replies.