Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • SKS mudguard question
  • lemonysam
    Free Member

Do Chromoplastics come with longer bolts/spacers to fit disc braked frames these days? If not, does anyone know what lengths I’ll be after and a cheap source?

Singlespeed_Shep
    Free Member

Mine didn’t,

I found this a good tip from genesis bikes on fitting them:
    Linky

And bought some of these:

ebay link

D0NK

I use standard bolts and manipulate the guard stays, pretty easy to do.
    Front
    Rear
    For tabs on the stays/fork legs instead of the dropouts it’s more a case of bending it around the side of the calliper rather than under or over it, sorry no pic of that.

hatter

Ditto, I just took the upper brake mount bolt out, replaced it with a longer one and some spacers and mounted the guard onto that with a bit of stay bending to keep it clear.

GrahamS

Hey up Sam, I’ve got Chromos. They came with some bolt options but not many and none that covered the huge clearance on my CX bike when running 28mm tyres.

(My biggest gap was from the bottom of the rear guard to the mounting hole in stay bridge).

So I got a big selection of various length allen bolts from a fasteners. You’re very welcome to pop round and have a rummage through them.

Email in profile.

lemonysam
    Free Member

Great, cheers Graham, I might well take you up on that when they turn up.

tomd
    Free Member

Arghh you’ve just brought back bad memories.

I fitted some to my 26″ disc commuter running wide slick tyres. It was a ball ache but the supporting bits are long enough to bend around the callipers. A vice or mole grips is handy, and some trial and error. The end result is tidy and they work fine, just not something to be done in a hurry. It was a long evening to get them spot on.

GrahamS

Yeah best to set aside a full evening, several bottles of beer and a couple of elastoplast. And make sure there are no children within earshot.

But once they are on they are good 😀

This video is “inspiring” and has some useful advice:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lG_WZVS9SUY[/video]

(you might want to turn down the sound though!)

lemonysam
    Free Member

Yeah best to set aside a full evening, several bottles of beer and a couple of elastoplast. And make sure there are no children within earshot.

I found it irritating enough on a bike without discs. I am more than a little tempted just to pay someone to do it.

lunge

I’ve got 2 bikes with them, the first I did myself, it look hours and I was ready to kill when I’d finished. The second set I happily paid the LBS to fit them, they looked chuffed at the prospect.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘SKS mudguard question’ is closed to new replies.