• This topic has 102 replies, 50 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)
  • Skoda's, marital bliss and a repair bill
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

The guys behind you are right, I think we all said pretty much the same thing didn’t we… Just enjoy it and drive it like an italian (with shades on obvs)

8)

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

yes please keep driving it with that italian tuning style of yours.. looking forward to seeing that smartly dressed ray ban chap with a sooty complexion

Kryton57

Lol, that only happens on DPF regen. Lovely smooth non smokey drive in M25 traffic back to London last night including a 5 min stop by J19, 47mpg.

hora
    Free Member

My 86,000miler Subaru was due its MOT so I took it in and it failed on brakes. The rears needed a good service (down to 43% power) and I’d fitted one of the front calipers not quite right (cough, first time issue). £65+VAT later and my 86,000miler is GO-GO-GO. It does 33mpg on the motorway and has NO diesel car gubbins to worry about. It also sounds very nice.

Its been to France/Germany/Belgium last Summer and NY’s. It aint the fastest to 60 but is a brilliant thing.

If you do 8,000miles a year why not buy a bigger petrol that doesn’t have a turbo and isn’t a VW/VAG?

Why don’t more people in the UK buy Subaru’s? Why do people get so hooked into chasing mpg and believing that BMW/VAG offer the ultimate quality and reliability 😕

bigyinn
    Free Member

I’d fitted one of the front calipers not quite right

How? Theres usually only one way a caliper can be installed.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Why don’t more people in the UK buy Subaru’s?

Because they have all the charm of a red dog shit bin inside?

Kryton57

I’d like to, but what I want is probably out of range of what I’m willing to spend (the proceeds from the sale of the Alfa so approx 5k). When I change I want:

Leather + Aircon + Auto for cruising luxury, space for a bike in the back seats folded, fun to drive.

I had a go in a Volvo XC60 R Design 2.4d mapped to 240bhp the other day and that fit the bill quite nicely. Expensive though.

I have an issue with work in that becuase I’m paid a car allowance, I’m supposed to have a <5yo car. At the moment it helps fund the nursery bills though…

hora
    Free Member

Because they have all the charm of a red dog shit bin inside?

and therein lays the problem. You don’t look at the interior when you are driving. You look outside but people like a lovely feel dash/etc of say the MKIV Golf when the MKI Focus (horrible interior) was a far better steer/drive etc.

Bigyin- its quite along hose and when I’d put the caliper/up behind the shock spring to enable me to take off the disc I’d twisted the hose whilst refitting. I hadn’t noticed this at the time. First time I’d ever changed pads and discs so it was a lesson.

In 16,000 trans-Europe/etc miles its cost me one battery, one bulb, discs and pads (£70) and £80 for the brakes.

wwaswas

THEN buy the 330 Touring auto I will want

I bought a 330D Auto Touring a couple of weeks ago.

It’s the only car I’ve ever owned where you genuinely get pushed back in your seat by the mid range acceleration. 370lb of torque is quite addictive pulling away from roundabouts etc.

Cost slightly more than your budget and is older than the age limit, though.

Kryton57

How much money / mileage was that wwaswas? Isn’t it a 5? Thats ideally what i’d buy.

warns74
    Free Member

THEN buy the 330 Touring auto I will want

I bought a 330D Auto Touring a couple of weeks ago.

You know that’s a 5 series don’t you?!

wwaswas

yes, sorry 530D.

£6k/100,000 – it’s a 2006. FSH and all that, though. I don’t do massive mileage so it’ll only creep up slowly now.

hora
    Free Member

Weird- everyones different but a 330D or 530D just leave me cold. However a M3 would be awesome…and again if you are only doing c8k-lower miles miles why do you need a diesel OP/Wwaswas?

Kryton57

Bugger, my garage is 18cm too small for that.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Pragmatism.
    If you’re going to have a new toy it may as well be one with zero Fanny Magnetism.

I think my missus has the same thoughts on beards.

She hates it, complains constantly that it’s too long/rough/full of food/wet. Am I allowed to shave it off……………..no….no…no…no!

traildog
    Free Member

You don’t look at the interior when you are driving

Actually, you spend most of your time in the car and the feel and look inside makes a big difference to how you feel about it. What’s a better ‘drive’ makes little difference to me really as all cars nowadays are very good at getting from a to b.

stumpy01

hora – Member

Why do people get so hooked into chasing mpg….

Because some people do more than 8,000 mile/yr….

hora – Member

It does 33mpg on the motorway and has NO diesel car gubbins to worry about.

Eek!
    My commute would cost me £63/wk in petrol if I drove your Subaru.
    My Ibiza cost me a conservative £39 (at 55mpg, which is at the low end)…….so well over £1000 a year difference in fuel cost.

As for diesel car gubbins to worry about – I’ve not had to worry too much in the 263k miles mine has done – the only diesel engine specific component that has failed so far has been a couple of intercooler hoses – and of course turbo petrols have them too….

hora
    Free Member

263k, wow. How long have you had it?

wwaswas

if you are only doing c8k-lower miles miles why do you need a diesel

I’ve had one for 10 years now – I quite like the way they drive and it was useful for towing.

My wife has a 2007 Golf GTi – it’s fabulous but you do have to work the engine to get the performance. This BMW just *pulls* from about 1000rpm.

tbh, one reason I went for diesel this time is with a higher mileage car diesels seem to keep going much more than petrol.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

You don’t look at the interior when you are driving

Yes, you do. Unless you are one of those old ladies with your nose pressed against the windscreen, it’s there in front of you.

I’ve had a few Legacy’s and an Outback; great cars, but interiors of cars have moved on.

Subaru have traded on the Impreza reputation and banged on about the mechanicals to the expense of all other considerations.

hora
    Free Member

Ive never been one for an interior. Minimal and functional. Yet I like my women – complex to look at and understand, yet bomb proof 😀

stumpy01

hora – Member
    263k, wow. How long have you had it?

It’s 12 yrs old, but I’ve had it for almost 9 (in Sept). Bought it 3yrs old with 24k miles on, so put almost all of them on! Aiming to get to 300k and then replace, but still on original clutch so if that lets go it’ll probably be game over.

Oh, I mentioned above my mpg value was a bit conservative…
    Here is this evening’s commute home mpg…..

hora
    Free Member

You have good mechanical sympathy and a smooth(?) driving style.

However over 200k in a Ibiza. Bloody masochist.

Viewing 23 posts - 81 through 103 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Skoda's, marital bliss and a repair bill’ is closed to new replies.