Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Skoda Roomster, anyone got one?
  • twohats
    Free Member

Been looking at them 2nd hand to cart the kids around, they also look good for shoving bikes in too! Despite the oddball looks, most reviews on them seem positive.
    Anybody got one?

retrorick

I’ve got one, the scout version. Bought recently so no long term opinions yet. They were mentioned in a thread around xmas which brought them to my attention.

First thing i did was to see how many bikes i could get in it. With only the front wheels off i can get 2 mtbs in standing upright behind the passenger seat comfortably. I could probably get 3 bikes in and have 1 rear passenger seat at a squeeze. I made up an internal mount using some wood and 2 bike hitch fork mounts to stand them up. There are some fixed mount points in the footwells and boot to attach a ratchet strap to also.

They drive well (but i’m no expert on how other cars drive). The 1.9tdi i’ve got is returning around 50mpg on mainly urban roads with a bit of motorway. I am trying hard to gain this mpg though.

I bought from a skoda dealer which seemed like the best place to get one when i was looking. Mine also has a towbar and roof rails, don’t buy without the rails as i understand that it is impossible to fit a roof rack otherwise.

Happy? yes. Would i buy another? yes.

twohats
    Free Member

Are you getting the 2 bikes in with seats folded up or removed?

SammyC
    Free Member

Here’s a thread I started not that long ago:

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/skoda-roomster-1

We decided to get a Ford Grand C-Max in the end as the main priority was more room for growing boys and the Roomster didn’t seem to give that as much as the Ford did.

As for the looks of the Roomster, I think if you get it in the right colour it can look quite funky.

MoreCashThanDash

We test drove one, may have already said this on the previous thread.

Probably the nicest car we tested, 1.6tdi with dsg box. Just decidedit was only a foot shorter than our main family car (Octavia estate) so was too big as a second smaller car. Also fuel economy and car tax a bit worse than we wanted, so we got a Fabia instead as smaller and cheaper to run.

If I was after a car just for moving me and bikes it would be top of the list

hora
    Free Member

On holiday in Ibiza they presented me with a nearly new 1.4TDI Roomster, within an hour I’d brought it back. I said it felt vague, vague steering etc just didn’t feel right/comfortable driving it. They said the only other car we have is a battered 4,000km Fiat Panda. I took it and loved it.

I still remember driving the Roomster today, bland but vague.

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

Nice cars. Just don’t get one in white.

mudshark
    Free Member

I still remember driving the Roomster today, bland but vague.

Hmm well I disagree – mine drives very nicely which is why I bought it over various competitors, used to have a Puma and couldn’t face driving something dull. BTW, I got the 105bhp petrol version which does seem quite nippy really.

retrorick

Both left and centre seat behind front passenger removed. The 29er back wheel sits between the front seats but it doesn’t obstruct elbow or hand brake. Front passenger seat was in a mid position.
    Mine is a step up from a W reg 3 door 206 so i’m enjoying the extra space and power.
    Got a black one, the scout version has tinted rear windows also so it looks ok and it’s harder to see in.

hora
    Free Member

Mudshark. Dont be offended. I too had a Yamaha Puma. I now drive a cheap and bland Xsara Picasso 🙂

OP also look up the Seat Altea XL

mudshark
    Free Member

I wasn’t offended just think you’re wrong about the Roomster’s driving, Honest John says:

‘Roomy boot and plenty of storage space, decent handling and pleasant to drive, beautifully built, good value.’

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/skoda/roomster-2006/

Autocar:

‘With its long wheelbase and broad track, the Roomster changes direction eagerly, grips admirably and keeps its composure over undulations. Throw in accurate, nicely weighted steering and supple ride over sharp disturbances, and you have a car that delivers more smiles than you would ever expect.’

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/roomster/ride

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Roomster, anyone got one?’ is closed to new replies.