Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Skoda oktavia blinking spiral light, air intake, loss of power
  • howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Hi! Octavia from 2005 , which I love btw, has just encountered a problem. Whilst driving home today I heard what I would describe as an intake of air when I accelerated. Almost like the air conditioning was switching itself on. Moments later a lamp that looks like a spiral, yellow coloured, started blinking. The car loses power if I accelerate even slightly hard. It remain as on, and I can drive it, but there is no ‘ooomph’.

A quick google suggests a few things, but wondering if STW might know if there are things I can check myself to try to fix it before taking it to a garage. Many thanks

doris5000

that light means there’s a mouse stuck in the exhaust pipe. You could try tempting it out with a piece of cheese

johnnystorm

My Transporter recently ruptured the intercooler with similar symptoms to what you describe. The diagnostics blamed the air flow meter initially but the big hole and bulging intercooler I could see through the grille gave the game away.

tthew

Try looking for any large air pipes that have popped off the back of the turbo or split.

duncancallum

Turbo diesel? Or turbo petrol?

It sounds like a burst boost pipe or intercooler.

If its diesel it’ll smoke too as it’ll over fuel.

Pop bonnet and run it. Get someone to rev it and find the noise

Mister-P
    Free Member

Glow plug light? That just means there’s an issue rather than being any use in diagnosing the fault unfortunately. My Transporter had a hole in the intercooler which meant that light came on when I tried to accelerate.

stevie750

My fabia recently lit up traction control , EPS and emissions control lights and started driving like a dog with no power
    turns out cam chain tensioner had gone and the chain had slipped a tooth

Mister-P
    Free Member

The diagnostics blamed the air flow meter initially

Yep, mine too so I spent a load of money having that replaced first. Bugger!

johnnystorm

@Mister-P

Fear not, I replaced mine too!. £80 just to have a spare on the garage shelf! 🤣

The first one I got from Amazon had a manufacture date older than my van, clearly some cheeky sod had swapped their old out and returned it for a refund!

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

My Volvo did something similar recently. Strange wooshing noise when accelerating, went into limp mode, no power. It was an air pipe to Turbo that had split.

molgrips

It sounds like a burst boost pipe or intercooler.

This ^^ the hissing is a dead giveaway. Air is being blown into the pipes to and from the intercooler and is escaping somewhere. For a good test, find a suburban road next to a wall, wind your windows down, drive slowly in a high gear and apply throttle. The turbo will spin up and you will hear the hissing as it bounces off the wall.

The hoses often split or even just pop out of their connections. Fortunately, they are cheap and easy to replace.

Happened in the Passat when I hadn’t put the hose back in properly. Also happened in the Merc and it was the inlet manifold buried at the bottom of the side of the engine. Ouch.

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

Thanks so much all!

Its a SKODA OCTAVIA II Combi (1Z5) Diesel 2.0 TDI 4×4 103kW/140PS

tthew

Does all that fit on the bootlid? 😁

ButtonMoon

Similar on our 2004 1.9tdi.

There is a lever that is located behind the drivers wheel in the bottom of the engine bay.
    This moves upon acceleration to change the pitch of the variable turbo blades.
    if these are in the wrong position the engine doesn’t get the correct air pressure and goes to limp mode.

Doused in oil & whacked with a long bar solved my seized lever arm.

Get the fault code & see where the fault points to.🙂

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.