Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Skoda Octavia VRS (mark three)….opinions and experiences to date
  • mindmap3
    Free Member

I’m due to order my new company car in the next few days and having been sure that I was going to get a VW group car with the 1.4TSI petrol, I’m having to look at diesels again because these are the best things on my list.

The Octavia VRS hatch is on my list and is something of interest (performance, practically and spec). These appear to be the STW car of choice at the mo so I was wondering how owners are getting on with them.

My main concern is that there isn’t a dealer all that local which makes my life that bit more difficult whereas my other options BMW, VW, Audi and Ford are all local so servicing etc is easy.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

I love my estate vRS but I’m having to hand it back at the end of the month as I’m changing jobs. It’s the only good thing about my current job.
    It’s a very rapid car that great over long drives, it loves country lanes.
    The best company car I’ve had so far

17,000 miles and it’s only been the garage once, but due a service in 1,500 miles.
    Take you bike and while they service it go for a spin

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

A BMW will drive loads better.

renton
    Free Member

What’s that based on funkydunc.

Have you owned or driven both ?

Any particular BMW or just all of them ??????

sc-xc

I have a mk 3 petrol estate, it’s great. Really fast, great to drive, loads of space and plenty of toys etc…

It’s thirsty though. Mine lives in sport mode, and always makes me smile.

sargey

Vrs mk2 diesel here,great car,good economy and drives well,would love to change it for a mk3 but short of cash at the moment.some of the haters will say they that the build quality is not as good as a vw but when you change from a Renault Laguna anything is better.

JohnClimber
    Free Member

BMW 3 series with no options and no sports suspension will still cost more that the £22k a Skoda vRS hatch costs with all the toys.
    Get over the badge it’s a great car

Cammer
    Free Member

I’ve owned a mark2 diesel vrs for 3 years now. Can’t think of any reason why I’d want to swap it for anything else and i’m usually quite fussy! Way better to drive than my old golf, good space for bikes, trips away. Nice on the motorway, fun on the lanes.

mindmap3
    Free Member

I’ve narrowed my final choice down to three cars.

VRS hatch with privacy glass, black pack, colour screen between the speedo and rev counter and dimming / folding mirrors.

Diesel ST2 estate with city pack, privacy glass, cruise and nav

And my wildcard is a Cooper SD just because it’s the fastest thing I’m allowed and I like the interior of the new MINI. The exterior is horrid though.

I prefer the VRS to the Focus mainly on looks really (the Focusis a bit chavvy, even in estate form). I’m not sure where the MINI fits in though….I think it’d be a bit silly and selfish but could be fun. Hmmmmm.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Renton yep drove a VRS and drive a big standard 3 series estate. VRS is quicker but does not handle half as well. VRS is for grown ups who want a bling looking go faster car with bucket seats and painted disc calipers

trail_rat
    Free Member

“BMW 3 series with no options and no sports suspension”

You say no sports suspension as if it was a bad thing. Thats the downside to a vrs having to put up with the harsh ride.

Do they do a monte carlo in the octavia ? At least the harsh ride is optional there.

hora
    Free Member

I must admit it aint the best B road blaster but its a fantastic engine (2.0T).

What are the other options specifically?

isto
    Free Member

Ignore the typical snooty Bmw driver response as they are really nice cars to own. I have a 2 litre diesel black edition which doesn’t have all the sporty touches but has some without the harsh suspension, there is hardly any difference speed wise between it and the VRS as the black edition is lighter.

I have been really impressed with how well built the car is and how practical it is. Would def recommend any Octavia and am sure the VRS is loads of fun.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I was going to say regarding the chavvy comment in comparison to the Focus and VRS. I thought they were both chavvy cars – maybe aimed at different demographics, but equally chavvy nonetheless. No problems with that, i’d have either in theory, but, unfortunately i’m of the age where I now look at low profile wheels and think “The ride on those will be crap, also the tyres will be expensive and i’d give the rims two weeks before they get scraped up the side of a kerb”!

I’ve just got the wife sorted with a BMW 1 series. I got a great deal on a stock previous model (they’ve just brought out a new facelift version) so was not expensive and got free servicing chucked in – though the dealer cocked up, sold the car to someone else so ordered us the same spec in the new model for the same price, so we lucked out there. I’ve never been a BMW fan, in fact i’ve disliked them over the years, but as it was the wife car and I was wanting her to have something that was both sensible and fun, the 1 series seemed the only choice as they do drive really, really well. Its only the small turbo petrol engined model, so won’t be fast by any stretch, but it’ll be great fun. I can’t wait to get my hands on it.

But it sounds to me like you really like the VRS so why not stick with one of those? Wont Audi service Skoda’s too? They’re the same car, same parts etc. ultmiately. And in anycase you don’t have to stick with main dealer servicing to maintain warranty, so no need to limit your choice to what dealers you have locally.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Isto – it’s nothing to do with being snooty, the fact is the BMW handles better, and is slower at the same time.

If your a boy racer and just want to go fast in a straight line then the VRS is more bling and faster than a BM, and will undoubtedly give you that boy racer ego trip. If you want a car that goes round corners very well then it’s a BM

anagallis_arvensis

This thread is classic!! So glad I dont have a company car and my choices ate limited a meagre budget.

I especially like this, gives her more time to wash the dishes eh!

I’ve just got the wife sorted with a BMW 1 series

vintagewino
    Free Member

I’ve got an ST estate and I’m aware of the slight chavness of it but I don’t care! total hoot to drive. Of the hatch versions I think the VRS looks nicer though.

eranu
    Free Member

I have a vRS diesel hatch. I like it; fits the bike in, cruises nicely on the motorway, handles OK. However the interior is a bit crap; cheap plastic door cards etc. I have scratched mine already just by looking at them.

I test drove various BMW, Merc & Audi the Skoda was a better all round package imo. I will buy another despite the interior but it will be petrol next time.

Kryton57

I’m finding it hard to look past the octavia VRS on freedom lease for £176 a month Iirc.

A lot of car for that money.

ticsmon

Vw audi and skoda are all the same.just get a few nicer touches in the vw and audi, and the badge!

Kryton57

Is the Scout less harsh a ride than the VRS?

jimmy

Kryton – is that business leasing?

This is an apt topic as I was made aware of this yesterday:

http://www.simpsonsskoda.co.uk/new-car-offers/june-octvrspch/

Problem is, its WAAAAY more car than we need 95% (probably 99%) of the time, but at that price its really hard to beat with much lesser cars.

Kryton57

No it was personal lease but blimey that’s a great offer. Anyone want to buy and Alfa 159?

neilnevill
    Free Member

Petrol hatch vrs here. It’s thirsty if you drive it hard, very reasonable when driven normally. Long term average over 7.5k is 36.5mpg for me. Did south London to Chester last night, 44.2mpg. I love it. A year old now and no trouble yet

mindmap3
    Free Member

I don’t think the VRS is all that chavvy or too shouty.

Just been for a test drive in the Skoda and am really impressed. The engine wasn’t too diesely, pulled well and even revved OK. I thought the ride was ok, but our other car is a 330 M Sport on run flats. So e the interior plastics were a bit crappy, but the A3 and 1 series have a few too, they’re just better hidden. I was amazed at how big it was inside because it didn’t feel like a big car to drive.

I went to have a quick look at then ST and I’m not sure. It’s no doubt a better car to drive but I just wonder if it is a bit in your face. I’ve also had a Ford for the last four years and fancy something else, even nothing else to get away from the local dealers who are awful.

My original first choice was a 118d M Sport, which having had one for a morning was a good car. The trouble is that I can only have it without options which means no cruise, auto dimming mirror of privacy glass which are all deal breakers for me.

Nothing else on my list really grabs me. The Golf’s are mega one which again means no options although the R Line and GT are pretty well specc’d, the Passat, is well a Passat, Q3 is nasty, X1 a monstrosity, A3’s are all poorly specc’d with not enough room for options and I didn’t even bother looking at the Renaults or Toyota’s.

cheers_drive

The Simpson’s vrs offer is very good, ive got a 150bhp Scout coming in a couple of weeks on a 8k mile £180/month deal. The total lease cost is only equal to about half the 2 year depreciation, crazy.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Octavia VRS (mark three)….opinions and experiences to date’ is closed to new replies.