Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Skoda Octavia owners – why not a Superb?
  • csb

OK, the name is daft, but the name badge will prise off easily.

I need an estate. The Octavia seems to be the accepted best cyclists family car out there. But the Superb seems far better value for money – you can get a 9 month old one with metallic paint, alloys, aircon from a dealer for 13,500 with over 2 years warranty left.

Why are they not liked?

totalshell

caravan club car of the year.. the superbis an octavia with more bells and whistles when the whole ethos of skoda was basics the superb is seen as a bit posh..

mrs tts has an octavia the only issue i’d have with it is the rear suspension is too lightly sprung when fully loaded 3 adults 2 kids and a fortnights worth of gear..

CountZero

For a start there are far fewer Superb’s around, and it’s a more expensive car in the first place. It’s not a fancy Octy, it’s based on a different platform, which is why there are V6 versions. I’m sure if I had £13k+ to spend I’d jump at one, but I, like many people, have nothing like that amount of money to spend, and if I did, I’d buy a VRs, or a 1.8T 4×4, and get the engine tweaked and the suspension sorted for a lot less money.

chewkw
    Free Member

I prefer Superb over Octavia so if money is not a problem go for Superb. Better looking as well.

Gribs

The newer one is just a bigger Octavia as it’s based on the same platform. The previous model was built on the ’94 Audi A4 platform (B5).

I thought the Octy was built on a Golf and the Superb a Passat?

No foundation for that assumption though, so could be totally wrong.

Smudger666

Driven superb for last two years (59 plate 2litre diesel) and it is a cracking motor.

Boot the size of a tardis, amazing legroom in rear and so far, nothing to complain about. Nothing!

I also heard the superb was a passat chassis extended 6″ but can’t find anything to confirm that.

tron
    Free Member

The old superb was a lwb Passat, which is an A4 based car. Longitudinal engine, a million suspension joints.

Edit – by A4, I mean the Audi, not the MK4 Golf.

sam_underhill

No vrs in the superb! But if you go for a slower diesel, superb makes more sense. Awesome VFM.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Got a vRS estate. Great car. Think the only reason I’d get a Superb would be if I needed the space. Octy copes well with me, the wife, our little lad and the associated junk he comes with, bikes, surf boards etc. Seems to swallow everything with ease.

Also hired an Octy hatchback a few years back for a drive down to the South of France. Lovely. 4 adults and all our luggage easily.

Do like the Superbs. A lot. Just don’t need the extra space. We’ve already said when we change this car we’ll get another vRS wagon.

footflaps

Had both (GF worked for Skoda), both excellent cars, my favourite to drive was Octavia VRS petrol, although as FWD only it did spin a bit in the wet. Both were pretty cavernous in terms of boot space – the Superb Estate is just huge!

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

We’ve already said when we change this car we’ll get another vRS wagon.

Seconded here.

P20

I’ll consider one as a replacement for the current octavia 4×4, mainly on ride quality. The octavia is easily big enough for our needs. If the superb is too expensive, i’ll go for another octavia 4×4 or scout

ahwiles
    Free Member

my dad’s got a superb, it’s massive.

But, it’s a saloon isnt it? – makes putting bikes in the back a pain.

the octavia is a hatchback – makes putting bike in even easier than an estate (for those of us with creaky backs).

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

New Superb comes in hatch or estate options.

Old Superb (aka, a taxi) was saloon only.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hang on, a Passat is much bigger than an A4 surely?

csb

So considering one is not a complete faux-pas then?

Anyone got any experience of the VW family 1.4tsi petrol engine?

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I had a ‘mare with my Skoda. 170bhp CR engine. Whilst I was made up with the car itself, the way it drove, the economy and performance, the thing let itself down by popping various sensors. Throttle sensor then the exhaust sensor,then the secondary water pump sensor.

All this happened within a period of two months. Needless to say, we parted company. Shame as it really was a nice motor but it is without doubt the most unreliable car I have ever owned made even more annoying by the triviality of the things that actually let it down.

In the last two months of ownership it went to the dealer three times for four problems and was seen by no less then six breakdown men, all I’d whom said the Octavia was a reliable car.

I had to beg to differ and wouldn’t now consider owning another VW / Audi group car.

Edit, all this happened before it hit 50,000 miles and I had owned it since it had done 400 miles. It was approaching 2 and a half years old when I sold it.

br
    Free Member

Only problem is that where I live people will ‘hail’ you – one of our local mini-cab companies use them.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

So what? Does it mean you have to stop?

chrisdw
    Free Member

Anyone got any experience of the VW family 1.4tsi petrol engine?

My dad has an Octy estate with the 1.4 TSI 122BHP version. He has got it with the 7 speed DSG box, so not sure how much difference that makes, but for the engine size, it goes like a rocket! Very quick car.

The only problem is, due to it being a small petrol engine at heart, it doesn’t have a huge amount of torque for when the car is really full. But with the DSG gearbox, it will just knock it down a gear and be fine. Sits at 75 /80 fine with the cruise control on.

Does 45 MPG too

Also, Skoda don’t put the the supercharger on the engine too. So its only a TI really.

EDIT

Skoda basically take the VW car platform and stick a bigger shell on.
    Fabia > Polo
    Octavia > Golf
    Superb > Passat

el-Gato-Negro
    Free Member

Count Zero
    I’d buy a VRs, or a 1.8T 4×4,

I have a 1.8T 4×4, its great!.
    looking to sell it though, as I’d like to get a van.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Forgot, before I do get another vRS wagon, I’d want to have a go in an Octy Scout dizzle 4×4 thing.

mudshark
    Free Member
    mikewsmith
    Free Member

My GF had an Octavia Estate bog standard 1.9TD was fine for space 3 people 3 bikes was a push but for 2 it was great. Very reliable and economical. First 2 years was on Warranty which meant when the CD changer had a small fault they would pick it up have a look retrieve the offending thicker cd wash, and hover the car and return it to her work. Great service!!

When we decided we needed more space I got a van

sam_underhill

Coolhandluke, that CR engine has issues in all VAG cars. It has too be so complicated to get the refinement and emmisions sorted in a diesel. That’s why so many companies offer DPF removal on modern diesels.

Petrol ftw!

pmc00per
    Free Member

The current superb is based upon a golf chasis which is also shared with the octavia wiki link

The old one was based upon the past. its the cheaper chasis that makes it so profitable for VW

csb

Blimey, forgot I started this thread.

9 months on and I’m about to buy one, a 1.4tsi estate.

Anyone with any updated info on their Skoda Superb or the 1.4 engine in general?

timc
    Free Member

friend who is also on this forum has a superb estate with the same 170 engine thats in the VRS, got to say, it looks lovely!

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

My father has an Octavia estate with the 1.4 TSI and I drove it last time I was home, was somewhat surprised how quick it was for such a small engine, ok the torque isnt amazing but didn’t feel underpowered for a relatively big car. (I drive a 250+BHP Volvo V70 as well!)

trail_rat
    Free Member

For the Size of car isnt a 122 bhp 1.4 just asking for trouble ?

My mrs has a rubber band powered golf with a 90 bhp 1.4 ( non tfsi) engine and its as gutless as hell on motorway and to maintain 70 it returns about 25mpg…..load it up with 4 adults and forget hill starts without melting the clutch .

chojin
    Free Member

b r – Member
    Only problem is that where I live people will ‘hail’ you – one of our local mini-cab companies use them.

When I had my Octavia, I actually had people get in my car and sit down whilst I was stationary: “to the Dog and Whistle please, mate”.

This happened TWICE. Hmpf.

Pembo
    Free Member

Loving my Superb 4 months after trading ‘down’ from an E Class estate. The Superb was a bit of a wildcard when I was looking to change but gets some great reviews from AutoExpress and Fifth Gear. The guys at Fifth Gear pitched it against a new E Class estate and it came out very well.

Here are a few vids
    http://youtu.be/bIYs7oBUO3w
    http://youtu.be/8MFZvRF26vQ
    http://youtu.be/F04sfDCQxeU

hunta

Very happy with our Superb Estate. I’d say advantages over the Octavia are looks, space if you need it , plus it seems to be the flagship of the marque so more bells and whistles at each trim level as standard. We’re expecting twins so took the advice of friends who said go for as much space as possible. Mrs was a bit daunted at first but with rear beepers for reversing you get used to the size pretty quickly.

In terms of performance take your pick of engines. 170 diesel seems fine to me, wasn’t expecting much (this marks the move from boy to man so had to wave farewell to the high performance sports car so expectations were never high) but if anything I’m pleasantly surprised. Took a while to remember not to try railing roundabouts mind 🙂

All that said I’m sure the Octy is great too if those extra cubic litres aren’t a huge concern.

properbikeco
    Free Member

superb is not as well built as an octavia, and has more design faults and higher likelihood of expensive component failure.

unless you really need the space it is just not worth the hassle

Pembo
    Free Member

That certainly applies to the Superb I but since the II was launched in 2009 there have been major improvements.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

trail_rat – Member
    For the Size of car isnt a 122 bhp 1.4 just asking for trouble ?

My mrs has a rubber band powered golf with a 90 bhp 1.4 ( non tfsi) engine and its as gutless as hell on motorway and to maintain 70 it returns about 25mpg…..load it up with 4 adults and forget hill starts without melting the clutch .

Utter BS.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Of course it is…..i just made up my own experiances – how ever if you would like me to conform with your views please fill out the forms in triplicate and file in the b1n

trail_rat
    Free Member

The model we tested was the entry-level petrol, the 123bhp turbocharged 1.4-litre TSI, and Skoda admits this will not be a big seller. Punchy as the unit may be for such a small capacity, it struggles in the 1504kg Superb. To its credit, the small petrol engine never sounds thrashy but it quickly runs out of grunt on inclines, leaving you to stir the six-speed manual for all it’s worth. This would only get a lot worse if the car were fully laden.

Underpowered it may be, but even this entry version has levels of refinement a car of this price has no right to posess. Road noise is kept to a minimum and the ride is largely untroubled by the ruts and potholes we tested it on around Milan, wafting across them rather than crashing. Corners are disposed of in much the same way as the saloon, meaning safe, composed handling, if not quite as sharp as a Mondeo’s.

From auto car

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/skoda/superb/first-drives/skoda-superb-estate-1.4-tsi

curtisthecat
    Free Member

I’ve just gone from an old passant estate(98) that just kept going and going until a lorry smashed it, to a octavia. It is a few years old but absolutely loving it. Very high levels of equipment(leather seats, climate control etc) and has the 140 bop engine. Absolutely bags of power and torque.
    I looked at getting a superb but couldn’t justify getting another car that big.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Skoda Octavia owners – why not a Superb?’ is closed to new replies.