Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Skipton – route advice – shortish
  • dawson

I am taking SWMBO and kids to some Craft/knitting show in Skipton on Sunday, but I am taking my bike and plan to do a ride.

Currently, looking at doing Skipton, road up towards Rylstone, the BW across Rylstone Fell > Brown Bank, Turn right at Halton Height, road back towards Embsay, follow BW up around Embsay Crag, then back down into Embsay and back to Skipton.

Is this do-able in 2-3hours?

Any locals with advice on my route?

thanks

bspoked
    Free Member

Don’t turn right on to the road at Halton Height, go straight over and take the track to Halton east. A couplebof nice corners and then a flat out off road track. Nothing technical but big grins. The road from Halton East backto Embsay is still all downhill, just not as steep.

AlexSimon

Welcome to the Skipton Route #1 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Park in Embsay
    Ride to halton East
    Up Moor Lane (think it’s called that) to road
    thru gate and on BW down to Bolton Abbey
    Back to halton East on road
    Up Moor lane (again) to road
    Up Barden Moor BW to (Embsay Kirk) sign post
    down faint trail to Embsay Crag
    down to Embsay

two fabtastic descents and 2hrs, 3 max

dawson

Cheers – will have a look at those.

bspoked
    Free Member

Moor Lane is the descent I mentioned.

Basically B.A.Nana’s route you spent a long time going up gradual uphills. Your route has two killer climbs, then long steady descents. Depends how you like to gain your height I guess.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

The Embsay Kirk trail to Embsay Crag improves after a few hundred yrds

chestrockwell

Don’t turn right on to the road at Halton Height, go straight over and take the track to Halton east. A couplebof nice corners and then a flat out off road track. Nothing technical but big grins. The road from Halton East backto Embsay is still all downhill, just not as steep.

I’d do this but consider skipping the Skipton/Rylstone road by going over Sharp Haw (dropping down to Hetton) or at Halton East pop over to Draughton, then up to Draughton Heights and follow the BW/Roman Road back to Skipton. 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Skipton – route advice – shortish’ is closed to new replies.