Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Skin so soft – which one is best?
  • kevj
    Free Member

Off up to Peebles for a few days next week to play on Glentress and I imagine the midgies are going to be quite bad.

So, the err, wife has two bottles of this Avon skin so soft, one is a greasy spray and the other is more of a lotion. Which one works best?
    I wouldn’t want to be putting both on and smelling like a tart.

ton

greasy spray it the best.

trail_rat
    Free Member

all it does is greases up the skin so they drown …..

just get the baby oil out;)

never found it to work all that well tbh

z1ppy

all it does is greases up the skin so they drown …..

+1, though if it’s sunny you’ll fry nicely.

found it to work all that well tbh, & the locals @ the pub we used quite happily stole it off us.

jools182
    Free Member

its the soft and fresh one you need

got citronella in it I think

geoffj
    pitduck
    Free Member

it`s the dry oil one 🙂

bigbloke
    Free Member

Its this one…..

http://avonshop.co.uk/shop/larger_image_popup.asp?profile_number=1060351&name=Skin So Soft Original Dry Oil Body Spray

no shortage of Avon here, wife is an Avon rep……ding dong Avon calling 😀

emsz
    Free Member

Hhahaha You’re kidding right? some one has told you this?

brakeswithface
    thegreatape
    Free Member

I’ve never found SSS to be much more than a greasy midge trap, and I’ll take the bites rather than douse myself in it.

There’s a new product out called Smidge. I have no idea if it’s any good, but it is supposedly midge specific and does not contain DEET. That might be worth a try?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Used it whilst filming braveheart iirc??

Nick

Its crap, get something with DEET in it.

tron
    Free Member

I found IR3535 based stuff works well, and doesn’t eat plastics like DEET does. Decathlon’s own insect repellent is IR3535 based.

uplink
    Free Member

I use DEET, tried all sorts over the years but nothing I’ve used is as effective.
    It smells awful IMO but it’s yet to melt anything

jonb
    Free Member

DEET more than smells aweful, it’s toxic.

If you look at the MSDS it’s classified R23,24,25 which is toxic by inhilation, in contact with the skin and if swallowed. If we were to use it at work we would need special dispensation as it has these risk phrases so they are serious.

I found skin so soft to work if you reapply it. I thought it was the limonene in it but that article suggests otherwise. HAs anyone got access to the whole paper? I’d be interested in reading it.

As a side note, I’ve never hada problem with midges at GT. Up friday night and saturday and didn’t see any. Can’t remember ever seeing any ever over the last few years!

enfht
    Free Member

I find SSS works for everything except those extra large stripped mosquitos, still use it instead of DEET though for the reasons above

The only annoyance is forgetting to put it on before you leave home

trail_rat
    Free Member

Peebles would be on the wrong side of the country for the majority of the midges ………

trail_rat
    Free Member

Btw if they are Nything like mozzies best thing you cAn do is dump the shampoo and shower gel

Get a bar or “simple” soap with no perfumes in and wash your body/hair with that

Seemed to work excellent on mozzies without repellant ( as i was told it would ) where other folk i was with using shower gel and mozzie repellant were being eaten alive

uplink
    Free Member

If we were to use it at work we would need special dispensation as it has these risk phrases so they are serious

Same here at work with alcohol – fine when I’m not at work though 😉

Lots of things are toxic, but as long as it isn’t withdrawn from sale because it’s too toxic, I’ll keep using it – as I have done for umpteen years

druidh
    Free Member

I’ve had good results from this one…

http://www.amazon.com/Avon-Guard-Plus-EXPEDITION-Spray/

SSS as a barrier layer, IR3535 as a repellent and a SPF30 suncream in one.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Skin so soft – which one is best?’ is closed to new replies.