Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Skiing Helmets – does everyone wear them now?
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

bigsurfer – Member

…………. Makes you feel completely invincible with a helmet on while skiing…………

Do you guys not think this attitude is at least questionable? Are you more likely to crash when you ” feel invincible”

Like cycling – make an informed choice depending on the real risks and benefits.

Like cycling please don’t think you will be invulnerable if you wear one.

Whats the evidence base like for ski / snowboard helmets? I have never seen any research but I know that the helmets perform better in oblique impacts – less rotation from the cycle helmets comparison.

Just anecdotally there would appear to e more head inpacts in skiing / snowboarding – would that seem fair?

LHS
    Free Member

Whats the evidence base like for ski / snowboard helmets? I have never seen any research but I know that the helmets perform better in oblique impacts – less rotation from the cycle helmets comparison.

🙄

Please stop.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Why? I am asking a question and giving some info that I have. Not seen any specific stuff on snowsports helmets apart from one set of comparisons on oblique impacts where the snowsports helments outperformed the cycle helmet.

LHS
    Free Member

Ok, to humour you, take a look at some research that Dr. Stewart Levy has done – he is the chief of neurosurgery and neurotrauma at St. Anthony Central Hospital in Denver, Colorado and a close friend of the family. His research is suggesting about a 60% reduction in serious head trauma and an 80% reduction in fatalities with the use of helmets in North America.

About 15,000 people in the US alone get taken off the mountain each year with a head injury.

GrahamS

TJ: I’m with you on Risk Compensation, but there is definitely a decent case for injury prevention by snow helmets: low speed prat falls and being hit by equipment are pretty common and are the kind of things where helmets are good at limiting injury.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

About 15,000 people in the US alone get taken off the mountain each year with a head injury.

Sounds like a lot of people.

any clues how it compares per hour / mile / whatever with cycling?

Graham = sounds fair enough.

LHS
    Free Member

TJ, some reading for you…

http://www.cpsc.gov/library/skihelm.pdf

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Ta

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Sounds alot to me as well, and begs the question what the hell are people doing to have so many injuries that involve their heads?

If 15,000 people are getting carted off the hill each year with head injuries, then obviously helmets are not making it much safer. Either people need to improve their skills or all dangerous items on the slopes need to be removed.. even if this means limiting the number of people allowed on the slopes.

How the hell did we cope before helemts??

rkk01
    Free Member

From what I (vaguely) remember, snowsports helmets require more side impact protection to pass their required standards (compared to cycle helmets.

The forward rotating / over the bars scenario seems to be the main consideration in cycle helmet design (and criticism :wink:), but I am fairly sure that ski helmet design gives more consideration to side impact.

I’ve worn one for the last few years. Never used to, but returning to skking after a mainly mtb’ing kid break, I felt naked without it.

As others have said – what’s not to like. Warm, comfortable, good goggle mount, skullcandy side pads and even reasonably stylish 😀

And yes, helpful with flying equipment – in my case an over energetic poma lift release

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

funkyduc – don’t forget that is in the states – so a lot of folk skiing / boarding and also many of those will be minor injuries being evacuated as a precaution.

That summary of research LHS points to is very interesting.

LHS
    Free Member

From what I (vaguely) remember, snowsports helmets require more side impact protection to pass their required standards (compared to cycle helmets.

The area at the rear of the helmet is the primary point of impact for most ski accidents, usually falling backwards and impacting on the rear of the head. Ski helmets are designed with more side protection, but this is primarily aimed at minor oblique scuffs rather than hard impacts.

LHS
    Free Member

15,000 does sound like a lot but you need to take into account that head injuries are characterised as:

Head impact trauma
    Neck compression trauma
    Neck whiplash trauma
    Laceration to soft tissue
    Burn to soft tissue
    Impact to nasal and chin areas
    Impact from foreign object (ski pole, tree branch etc)

Woody
    Free Member

How the hell did we cope before helemts??

It’s amazing really that we survived.

The area at the rear of the helmet is the primary point of impact for most ski accidents, usually falling backwards and impacting on the rear of the head

That surprises me!

TBH having skied for a very long time, it never occurs to me to wear a helmet unless I plan on doing some tree skiing. On the other hand, when boarding it is reversed and I wear a helmet nearly all the time as the ‘fall mechanics’ are very different and the chances of an occipital impact are much higher.

I would hate helmet wearing to be compulsory.

juiced
    Free Member

wearing a helmet makes perfect sense.

DavidB
    Free Member

I learned and got to intermediate without one. Now I’m doing hard stuff wear it all the time. Keeps me head warm and has saved a few nasty bangs off piste.

footflaps

I always wear one, barely notice it’s there and as I’d wear a hat anyway, it’s no bother at all.

RicB

I wear a helmet whilst skiing in case some drunken tw*t wipes me out. I was the first in our group to wear one and my mates took the p1ss until I got wiped out by some daft Frenchie and the helmet ended up with a fairly big dent. Pretty much all our group wear them now, even the ones who worry about how their hair looks!

Nick_Christy
    Free Member

not everywhere its illegal here in austria 😉

there is no1 controlling for helemts for under any age.

i went last week and i saw older people with them ie 50+ and mostly girl boarders but myself and partner both dont wear one and alot of friends also not, but then again in sölden more wear than not and here in stubai not so many. think it just depends on people.

but as for a law 😉 aint seen that yet enforced 😉

I wear one. Not because I’m concerned about my own ability, but because I’m concerned about everybody else and their ability. The most dangerous place on the mountain is the intermediate areas because the skiers there are between levels attempting to get better but maybe skiing slopes above their control level. We have to wear helmets when teaching as per Vail Resorts.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I LOL at those people above feeling they need to give reasons of seeing someone fall nasty last year or “I fell and hurt myself last year, so that’s why I decided to wear a helmet”, so you never had a fall or saw someone fall and hurt themselves 3 years ago and before?.
    There’s no shame in admitting to being a fashion victim you know, especially when the new fashion actually improves your safety.

DavidB
    Free Member

There’s no shame in admitting to being a fashion victim you know, especially when the new fashion actually improves your safety.

But I seriously look a knob in mine. Is that being a fashion victim? I thought the idea was to look cooler?

myheadsashed

I just take my cycling p1sspot and put a balaclava under it Mace Solo and I have tunes to 🙄

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/product/199/550121/mace-trigger-solo-helmet–with-speakers-.html

I look like I’ve left my panzer in the car park but hey……

A woman hit me very hard a few years ago – 8 stone traveling at speed hitting nearly 16 stone stationary – she did bounce along way and I will admit it knocked the wind out of me as there was no warning. if it had been a fat bloke it would have smarted abit/alot.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Skiing Helmets – does everyone wear them now?’ is closed to new replies.