Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)
  • Skiing Helmets – does everyone wear them now?
  • ridethelakes
    Free Member

Going skiing in March 2011 to Austria but not been for a couple of years due to the rugrat coming along but last time (jan 2008 Austria) no one wore helmets apart from young kids.

I keep hearing that in Canada everyone wears them and I know its now compulsory for under 15’s to wear them in Austria.

I’m not that bothered about wearing one but I do appreciate the safety aspect so if everyone is wearing them then I will probably get one. The Giro Zen equivalent ones actually look quite cool too…

chunkymonkey1982
    Free Member

Skiers dont tend to, but most snowboarders do…. My friend was concussed on out first snowboarding holiday by crashing on his head, we have all worn helmets since…

LHS
    Free Member

Do you wear a bike helmet?

Seeing as you ski faster than you bike and ice is harder than dirt, its a no-brainer.

rockthreegozy
    Free Member

Same in Italy for 14 and under IIRC

willard

I’m planning on wearing one this year, but it will be the Bell one that I wear for dirt jumps and wakboarding. Last time I used a hire one it smalled like someone had taken a wee in it.

benjamins11
    Free Member

I wear one, irrespective of whatever the evidence base is/isn’t dont really fancy a ski boot or a snowboard or a runaway ski etc.. hitting me in the noggin. I wouldn’t go down same slopes on bike without one and I probably go faster on ski’s too, so for me its a bit of a no brainer. I’m a skier btw.

crispo
    Free Member

Im a skier and I wear one most of the time, however it does depend on what type of skiing im planning on doing on that day and who Im skiing with.

Ro5ey
    Free Member

Yep

I’ve worn one for 10 years, after getting flown down the hill after a silly fall but bashing my head.

After that the way I saw it and still do … is that I go faster and much higher and further on my snowboard than I ever do on my bike… and I wonldn’t dream of going out without my slid lid on, when going out biking.

The Giro G10 (i think) is lovely this year… white with tan leather … Mmmm

I suggest getting one with a movable visor (sp) Keeps the sun out of your eyes and keeps snow,when it’s dumping, off your goggles.

iwluap

It’s not really abolut what everyone else is doing. However, your observation is right, it does seem to be more prevailant these days. I wore a snowboarding helmet for the first time last year (always had wrist guards and impact shorts befor that) and felt so much safer. I wouldn’t board without one now.

bigsurfer
    Free Member

I started to wear one after seeing stars and feeling sick after a good snowboard crash, always wear it both skiing and snowboarding. Makes you feel completely invincible with a helmet on while skiing. They are also really warm when coupled with googles they are brilliant when its really cold. Think within a year or 2 they will be the norm and their will be a few folks not wearing them.

Their is stories every year of really experienced skiiers coming a cropper normally from a small fall resulting in hitting their head.

They are cheap and in my opinion look pretty cool as well.

Joe

I felt really vulnerable last year without one. I’ve never worn one before and then suddenly thought ‘what the hell am i doing?’

Rio

I always wear one skiing – not only does it protect you if you fall on something hard but it keeps your head warm and looks better than the stupid bobble hats people used to wear. Most people doing any sort of serious skiing seem to wear them these days, just as most serious cyclists wear them. Not sure why there’s a fashion for matt black helmets though; first time the sun comes out you’ll boil your head.

Last year I skiied with a group off piste one day with a local guide; coming off the mountain at the end of the day one guy without a helmet fell over as he dropped back onto the piste and was taken off the mountain with concussion. Next day the guiding company had made helmets compulsory…

GrahamS

Been boarding for more than 15 years (the usual 2 weeks a year plus the odd snowdome or Glenshee trip).
    I got a helmet because they are compulsory in snowdomes and if you don’t have your own you have to share with sweaty teenagers 😐

I wear it while in the mountains too. Might as well since I own it.
    Controversially I don’t think it makes me any safer (risk compensation and all that) but it is comfy, keep my ears warm and my goggles in place.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Yup, i wear one, i have hit my head once or twice hard enough to see stars, glad i had it on.

surfer
    Free Member

I wear one all the time now. I was taken out by an idiot and dislocated my shoulder the year before last. I banged my head quite badly as well as I was going quite fast.

philconsequence
    Free Member

helmet +1 here too 🙂 even if your own skiing/snowboarding is safe and awesome, another rider/skier might not be and when they crash into you putting you down hard on the back of your head its (in my humble opinion) much more comfortable with a helmet on.

ir12daveor
    Free Member

I live in Switzerland and ski a large number of different resorts averaging about 40 days a year so I get to see a fairly good representation of how it is here in Switzerland.

The vast majority of people (more than 80% from rough counts I’ve done standing in lift ques) wear them now. The people that don’t are usually tourists… and of those tourists I reckon the largest group to not wear them are English tourists. Everyone I ski with wears one.

Anecdotally, the people who put up the biggest arguments about not wearing helmets are the ones who think they are good, but in reality are not as good as they think they are! The really good skiers all wear them and the ones that have a good estimation of their ability all seem to wear them.

Jammy111
    Free Member

id say most people wear them now. you are definitely in the minority if you haven’t got one on. reasons for getting one:

1) protection
    2) warmth (keep whole head (and ears) warmer than a hat)
    3) look better than hats

bazzer
    Free Member

Yep I wear on and had a big smash were I broke my collar bone and smacked my head at the same time. Saw stars and nearly passed out even with the helmet on. Would probably have hurt more if I was not wearing it 🙂

I noticed the other day you can get a hat with D30 armour in it, did make me chuckle. I think I would want a hard shell if skiing off piste with rocks about etc.

Off for two weeks from the 23rd of December 🙂 cant wait 🙂

Bazzer

salad_dodger

Best check with TJ before making your final decision.

LimboJimbo

I got a Bern helmet for Austria last year and wouldn’t be without it now. Way more comfortable and warmer than a beanie. Makes me fasterer too. What prompted me to get one, was seeing some poor chap with a nasty head gash caused by someone elses ski edge. Blood soaked snow is certainly a sobering sight. I would say last year more people than not were wearing them in Austria.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Wear one if you’re planning on doing a spot of downhill or super-g.

Otherwise, don’t bother.

The biggest cause of death in car accidents is head injury but we don’t wear helmets whilst driving do we?

Anecdotally, the people who put up the biggest arguments about not wearing helmets are the ones who think they are good, but in reality are not as good as they think they are! The really good skiers all wear them and the ones that have a good estimation of their ability all seem to wear them.

Interesting point ir12daveor but I’m probably a much better skier than I think I am 😉

LHS
    Free Member

Otherwise, don’t bother.

Please listen to the sensible advice rather than to this.

MRanger156
    Free Member

After seeing my mate in a coma I wear mine all the time now.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Sorry to be blunt but its a case of:

If you don’t think you need a helmet, then you probably don’t !!!

ie, Have you got anything you (or significant others) would consider worth protecting?

Our kids have always worn them but, to be honest, the penny only dropped for me about 5 years ago. Since then the wife and I have worn them too. Now I’d feel vulnerable without. I’ve seen too many accidents where it would have made all the difference between laughing it off and being carried off.

I’d say the chances of somebody else hitting you are much higher on skis than when you’re on a bike.
    You’re probably also likely to be going much faster on skis than on wheels.

Last year, one of the kids in our party took a big fall, failing spectacularly to land a massive jump (maybe 20m+)
    She went down HARD on her back and hit the back of her head in the process.
    Her helmet definately served its purpose but unfortunately she was evacuated for suspected spinal. (Thankfully later given the all clear)

My eldest is now after a spine protector for christmas as he’s still narked that she outjumped him (even if she didn’t land it).

Get one!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I used to wear one racing, but have never warn one free skiing. The only head injury I have had was falling in GS practice where I high sided, I still got concussed but I guess the helmet stopped my head from splitting open.

They are definately a skill compensator though, and encourage you to go quicker than your ability etc etc, and over the last few years people do appear to be going quicker than their ability, and it tends to be the ones wearing helemts.

IMO learn to fall properly that wil save you from many injuries.

I would love to see the data from snowdomes which proves that compulsory helemts prevent accidents, and that in fact head injuries are one of the major injuries that people get a snow domes. I’m sure its probably more about being able to make a few more quid by renting them out.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“Last year, one of the kids in our party took a big fall, failing spectacularly to land a massive jump (maybe 20m+)
    She went down HARD on her back and hit the back of her head in the process.
    Her helmet definately served its purpose but unfortunately she was evacuated for suspected spinal. (Thankfully later given the all clear)

My eldest is now after a spine protector for christmas as he’s still narked that she outjumped him (even if she didn’t land it).”

“Now I’d feel vulnerable without”

Thats exactly what I mean !! Shouldn’t they learn to jump 20m safely first before attempting a 20m jump???

Feeling vunerable is good, it lets you know where your limits are.

LHS
    Free Member

IMO learn to fall properly that wil save you from many injuries

The serious injuries occur when you are suddenly hit by someone else or suddenly crash due to hitting ice or catching an edge etc, you can’t learn to fall properly in these circumstances as it happens too quickley. Most accidents happen when people are actually going slowly and not concentrating, usually after having just skied hard or at speed as you perceive the danger to be over.

namastebuzz
    Free Member

Please listen to the sensible advice rather than to this.

Each to their own.

The OP says he’s not that bothered but will wear if everyone else is. That’s fine.

Personally, I wouldn’t bother. The OP has skied before without one and survived hasn’t he? I’ve skied for over 20yrs without one (except for doing some GS races). I’m not skiing at my limit on a public piste so the risk of a major crash is very small so I’m happy to accept that level of risk. It’s one more piece of extra clobber I can do without.

lunge

I wear a helmet and a back protector. I hope that I don’t need either but I would rather they were there and not use them than need them when they’re not.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

FunkyDunc,
    In her case, the problem was that she wasn’t trying to do a 20m jump!!! (It should have been shorter) She just went too fast at the takeoff.
    That kind of illustrates my point, which is that sometimes you get it wrong and sometimes other people get it wrong. Either way, I’d rather have the benefit of the protection.

LHS
    Free Member

The OP has skied before without one and survived hasn’t he?

Fantastic reasoning. Ignore me, carry on. 😯

DrDomRob
    Free Member

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natasha_Richardson

But I am sure there are hundreds of people who fall over and don’t die. Just like on a bike.

I protect my head cause it earns me my money.

Dom

robertgray05
    Free Member

I was at Glenshee on Saturday when I got smacked in the face by a returning Poma. I now have 8 stitches above my eyebrow, a chipped tooth, a nasty cut/swelling on my lip and don’t remember hitting the ground when I fell.

I wish I had a helmet on!

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

This assumes that you are happy with where you think your limits are.

Yeah, there’s a skills compensator element to it but you can’t conversely say that you’ll get better skills if you ski without.
    It’s not like the “big forks” debate.

Crell
    Free Member

In Sweden and Finland the resort hire shops normally have a big bucket of helmets for people to borrow for free or for a small fee. The warmth aspect is a big bonus but after a couple of near misses with trees trying to keep up with my kids I can see the real value as well.

OP be aware that sizes are a total hit and miss affair between the manufacturers. I’ve got a Xen for the bike but hate the fit of the Giro ski helmets I’ve tried.

depth-junkie
    Free Member

I have worn a helmet for the last 2 seasons after a trip to canada. My last 2 trips to austria and france have seen the american/canadian trend of helmets being the norm and wooly hats being the odd ones out now, its good to see. Only a few years ago it was the total reverse.

I actualy prefer wearing my helmet with goggles, as it has a goggle reataing strap on the back, so i cant loose my goggles when wearing them on my forehead on lifts etc as i could with my hat. Also goves me some where to mount the go-pro.

ridethelakes
    Free Member

Wow great response thanks. Seems like an overwhelming case for wearing a helmet so will definitely buy one.

plumber
    Free Member

Keeps head warm
    Keeps headphone speakers in place
    Keeps brain in skull
    Keeps googles in place

its all good

GrahamS

Yep that why I said they don’t reduce risk (for me anyway). When someone says “I wouldn’t ride rails/boxes/trees/pipe/backcountry without a helmet” then they are openly admitting that having a helmet is exposing them to risks they otherwise would not take.

I’m honest with myself: I wear impact shorts and a helmet because it let’s me try stuff that I may otherwise reconsider.

I would love to see the data from snowdomes which proves that compulsory helemts prevent accidents, and that in fact head injuries are one of the major injuries that people get a snow domes. I’m sure its probably more about being able to make a few more quid by renting them out.

Nope. In Xscape they are free. As is board/boot rental. You can bring your own gear but it doesn’t alter the price (just the hygiene!)

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Skiing Helmets – does everyone wear them now?’ is closed to new replies.