Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Skiing. First world problem looking for a lazy answer!
  • keppoch

Hi All,

First world problem looking for a lazy answer!

I want to go skiing with a few friends; two couples, two rooms, half board. Departing 16 March for a week to Saalbach in Austria.

Requirements are specific as they are fitting it in as part of a longer trip from Australia.

We had just about got settled on an £800 each hotel option when it sold out so now feel like we are back to square 1.

I’m struggling with the higher prices; I last went skiing a couple of years ago and paid £500 for accommodation, travel, food and lift passes to a small hotel in an Italian resort (Cortina). With the small if critical fact that there was next to know snow it was great value so don’t really want to pay for whirlpools or a hotel room bigger than my house, just want something pleasant and functional with decent food supplied.

Have been looking at SkiSwift as a sort of reseller but any other options or suggestions much appreciated.

wallop

Saalbach is on the pricier side, unfortunately. We went Crystal Finest there a few years ago for Christmas and there was no snow! 😂

cb

Would a chalet not suit?

Skiing is crazy money these days unless you’re prepared to go last minute. Give your requirements to the likes of Crystal or Neilsen – they will be able to give you the bad news much quicker than you searching!

wallop

I’m looking to go back to Saalbach in January but will go B&B or self catering. TBH the half board hotels give you too much food. There are so many amazing restaurants in the town and on the mountain – I usually prefer to have a nice hot lunch and then a smaller dinner so half board is a bit wasted on me. There are lots of good pensions in Saalbach if you’re prepared to go B&B.

keppoch

Yes a chalet would be fine. Does that involve a different searching system?

I’m not a frequent skiier so the whole booking/package/constraints bugs me rather! I’m just not fussed on the luxury bit; and if I was there are better holidays to make the most of it IMO. Not to say I am looking for horrid just solid meals and a room at least as good as my house (not a tall order!)

Compared to cycling holidays it is horrible value – as you say it all depends on something which may or may not fall out of the sky!

earl_brutus

last few years Ive only ever booked ski trips through Skworlds black friday deals. Admittedly you have to be flexible on dates and resort and be quick as the bargains are snapped up. EG this season we are in a Signature catered chalet  flights acccomo transfer and lift pass £800 each. Wouldve been double that if bought normally / well in advance. they might have some options for you….

https://www.skiworld.co.uk/ski-deals/white-week-offers

toby1

Compared to cycling holidays it is horrible value

Supply and demand, there are a lot more people who now want to ski and it’s constrained in the places and time of year you can do it. As a result it’s a (substantially) high cost activity.

Also, the higher you go the more luck you have finding snow and the more you pay for it. ‘Bargain’ ski holidays in the past for me have meant looking out at green fields one side of the valley and ‘skiing’ in crispy compacted snow, sharing a ‘hotel’ with a bunch of Spanish schools kids who didn’t like to sleep ever, really long coach transfers in mental high winds and hotels that were falling apart. Spend a bit more and it’s quite a different experience (Les Arcs 1950 for example).

nickdavies

We often do ucpa which is about as cheap as you can do it, usually 6-700 inc meals lift passes kit hire and a half days guiding each day. Guiding is optional.

I’ll be amazed if you can do it for less in saalbach. Catered chalet hotels are about the best way of doing it easily but as you’ve found expect over a grand all in.

keppoch

Thanks for the suggestions.

I totally understand the supply and demand thing I just don’t like being part of it! UCPA looks a great option if I was going with my brother but I think the accommodation won’t quite cut it and likewise the Skiworld deals look great but of course deals restrict dates/location.

I realise I am trying to have it all ways and will have to compromise on something!

Is there a sort of Chaletfinder.com or is everything done through these megacorporations?

legend
    Free Member

You do realise that you can book accommodation through the Saalback website?

peekay

Searching for accommodation in Austrian resorts whilst in the UK usually just brings up the big tour operators,  and airbnb/homeaway etc don’t often have much on.

If you are happy to sort your own transport out then it may be best to call the local tourist office,  I’ve done that a few times for other Austrian resorts and they can usually find something suitable.

Alternatively,  a broker like iglusk or alpineelements has access to holidays from a lot of the bigger tour operators so can often be useful for comparing.

colp

Try https://www.skifix.co.uk who are based near Saalbach in Maria Alm, part of the Hochkoenig ski area. Much quieter than Saalbach but still loads of skiing

wallop

As above, all the Austrian resort websites have lots of accommodation on there to search through. Doesn’t need to be a UK TO.

keppoch

So just to say thanks again for your help.

Had a look at booking direct and decided to do just that; booked via Saalbach.com and went favourably timed Easyjet flights from Bristol as opposed to schlepping down to Gatwick.Transfers will be done using local buses (and hopefully without the vodka downing company of the people on the last ski holiday).

Total price looks good against the package holiday and won’t be missing what we didn’t use last time.

Looking forward to it.

colp

Have a look at the ÖBB scotty app for bus and train travel from Salzburg. Trains/buses to Saalfelden or Zell and change there for Saalbach maybe.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I think Ski Miquel does Saalbach on a standard chalet type holiday. I’ve been with them a few times and are good…though the last time was about ten years ago to be fair. You could stay a bit further up the valley at Hinterglemm, it might be cheaper (probably more expensive). But when I’ve skin’s Saalback in the past there are plenty of small towns further down the valley…would require a bus journey to get to Saalback, but no great problem. Also Leogang is linked to the same ski area so not sure if that would be cheaper or not.

peekay

@keppoch That sounds like it has all worked out well for you.

Enjoy the trip!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Skiing. First world problem looking for a lazy answer!’ is closed to new replies.