Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Skiers – decathlon skis and boot binding length, DIN etc
  • geoffj

I’ve spent the day at cairngorm mountain doing my best Prmin Zubriggen impression in glorious blue skies.
    It was only marred by the tedious ski hire collection process, so I want my own skis (I’ve already got boots).
    I suspect it will be a 2-3 day a year experience, so want cheap and functional.

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/onebreaker-groomed-slopes-skis-id_8316754.html

These look ok to me, but I need to know if the bindings will fit my boots. My boots are 31.5 (uk 12 or eu 47).

The skis are supposed to be good for din 3-10, but it looks like din also accounts for weight, so how do I know if these skis will fit my boots?

And yes, I could go to my nearest LSS, but I want to understand a little bit before I do.

TIA

scotroutes

Take your boots to the store and they’ll set them up for you. The chap on Snowsports in the Edinburgh shop is very helpful.

Fabby day. We were up there for 4 hours.

geoffj

Was hoping to do it mail order than have to traipse to the burgh though.
    You on skis yet Colin?

Edit: just saw your edit. I thought I saw someone who looked like you, but I wasn’t sure.
    ‘Twas glorious – had to smile at the furnicular operator reporting gusts at the summit of up to 5 mph.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    FunkyDunc
    Free Member

I can’t see how they can sell them with knowing your boot length unless it’s a fully adjustable hire binding.

DIN setting is just how easily they release nothing to do with boot size.

As your knowledge appears low I would definitely recommend getting some one to set them up for you ie go to decathlon

geoffj

I can’t see how they can sell them with knowing your boot length unless it’s a fully adjustable hire binding.

Indeed, hence my question.

I’ll give decathlon a call in the morning.

scotroutes

Your boots will possibly have another dimension stamped on them, in mm. Can you find it?

Clue: my 27.5s are 318mm

sweaman2
    Free Member

Stamped somewhere on your boot is a boot sole length which is mm. Most cheaper bindings can be adjusted to various boot sole lengths.

The DIN setting is a function of boot sole length, skier weight and skier ability. You can find charts online through google. However if I didn’t know what I was doing I’m not sure I’d want to risk my ACL setting up my own skis…

geoffj

Found the DIN charts and I understand what they are about.

I’ve found ISO 5355 stamped on the sole. The length of the sole according to my tape measure is 35.5 cm. I’m guessing the 5 prefix is an ISO width standard.

I’ll call decathlon tomorrow.

The skis have free returns, so there must be a mechanism for setting them up properly without having the boot with the ski.

scotroutes

Those bindings go up to a 380 so you’ll be fine.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

you really need your boot to set up your binding. The boot sole length will set the course binding distance, most bindings have ranges in 5 or so mm increments, so the fine tuning is done with the boot. The din is easy to set up, look up the web site of your binding manufacturer and tap in the details into their online calculator and you’re good. Most require you to put a score relative to your ski ability so look this up before hand. I’ve never had a problem with the suggestions from these online calculators.

I don’t trust ski shops to set my bindings, especially Decathlon. It’s easy enough to do yourself. I find ski shops never do it properly.

Of course two piece bindings are different but the ones with adjustable heel and toe’s are easy, which I think the ones in your link are.

geoffj

Thanks folks.

scotroutes

They are

surfer
    Free Member

Just my opinion but I wouldnt bother buying ski’s unless I was spending a few weeks a year using them.
    Leaving aside the purchase cost, transport cost and hassle as well as the maintenance they also change a fair amount over a couple of seasons.
    My BIL bought a set a few seasons ago he just hires them in the resort now.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

There speaks a man who has never stood for hours in a queue to hire skis at a Scottish ski centre…

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

There speaks a man who has never stood for hours in a queue to hire skis at a Scottish ski centre…

There speaks a man who has never skied in Scotland on Scottish rocks 😛

scotroutes

surfer
    Free Member

Fair enough. My experience has only been abroad where the process can be a bit of a faff but never enough to splash a few hundred quid on something partially obsolete after 2/3 seasons.

scotroutes

You’re not a cyclist then? 😆

geoffj

I’ve already got the boots. £120 for skis will pay for themselves in 6 days, which I hope to get in this year – with a bit of luck and some late season stuff around Easter.

The collection and returns process (all kit to be returned by 4pm) probably cost me an hour today. That’s a decent chunk of time out of a short Scottish winter day.

I’ll probably not take them abroad, but that isn’t going to happen for a couple of years anyway.

Now, which dedicated skiing backpack 😀

scotroutes

I didn’t know they made such a thing. You’ll have to explain to me how it differs from a walking, climbing, biking rucksack 🙂

mefty
    Free Member

My skiis are 12 years old, some would regard them as obsolete but they still work for me.

roblane65
    Free Member

have you thought about going down the second hand route ? an older better quality ski as opposed to a new cheap pair. theres some bargains to be had if you look. The fashion victims amongst skiers like to change their gear often.Usually for no good reason,quite often the only change from one year to another are graphics/ colours.So a 2/3yr old quality all mountain ski should suit fine for what you want.
    don’t get yourself wrapped up in all the tech talk you’ll end up with your head running round in circles the good brands know how to make ski’s just get out and enjoy them.

justatheory
    Free Member

If you intend to ski at Cairngorm regularly, there are loads of places you can hire in Aviemore (Ellis Brigham etc) or The Pinemarten bar opposite Glenmore Lodge.

If you’ve got your heart set on some of your own, I’d go down the 2nd hand route. I got some mint condition Head Titan 1 season old for £150 off eBay. As someone has already mentioned there are people, who like to change their skis more frequently than some of us lot change our bikes.

Jealous by the way, conditions look great at the moment. I was there over Christmas and they only had two runs and the funicular open, so went biking instead. Back up there for some ski touring in Feb, so hopefully it’ll carry on snowing.

geoffj

Well the Bulgarian made Decathlon specials have landed. They fit my boots and the DIN adjustment seems OK. I’ve also ordered some second hand Head XRCs off eBay for MrsJ, so we should be good for a couple of days at Glenshee or Cairngorm for the end of the week. Thanks for all the input.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Skiers – decathlon skis and boot binding length, DIN etc’ is closed to new replies.