Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Ski Touring set up
  • RoganJosh
    Free Member

Id like to get myself a Second hand/cheap ski touring set up but don’t really know what to look for, I live in the lakes and we’ve been getting good snow the last few winters and people have been making the most of it! I’m a fairly average skier, and a real novice to touring. I guess with lakes and Scotland I’ll be dragging them over some rocks from time to time too.

Can somebody give me some pointers on what set up/parts I should be looking for? I’m 6.2″, 85-90kgs.

Skis, bindings, skins and boots, although I’ll likely buy some new boots so I know they’ll fit and be comfy to walk in, but I need to know what will fit the bindings I need.

Cheers.

scotsman
    Free Member

What do you want from your touring, there is so much different kit these days. Do you want lightweight for long tours which will be compromised on the downs, depending on the type of skier you are. Or will your touring be a quick skin up to get to something steep in which case you could go for a burlier more down hill orientated set up using the alpine boots you already have with the appropriate frame type AT binding.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Answer in the dedicated ski thread ?

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be lightweight or long, day long tours at most, however I had planned on buying a boot that I could walk/scramble/climb in too to access different areas. Dynafit bindings the way to go? Any thoughts on ski length?

scotsman
    Free Member

Dynafit for pin tech are the go to for touring stuff but there are others, Marker, G3, Plum, I am not a fan of the frame type AT binding, pin tech are much more comfortable, lower to the ski for more natural movement. I have had all makes of boot over the years Scott/Garmont, Scarpa, BD etc and I now only use Dynafit but with the popularity of touring and back-country all the major manufactures do some form of touring kit.
    You could put a touring binding onto the skis you have using Quiver Killers and a generic cut to shape set of skins like Colltex.

Have a look here under Touring Ski http://www.glisshop.co.uk

geoffj

Decathlon (as usual) have some deals on touring stuff. Worth a fondle if you have one local.

scotsman
    Free Member

Ski length is the usual what you are comfortable with, going on the type of touring you describe as long as you don’t have a set of old school skinny skis you would be fine with those, maybe a little wider under foot, 80mm – 95mm maybe, but if you are going in search of the steepest deepest powder you will want long and wide 110mm+ with heavy rocker.

Edukator
    Free Member

I’ve used Dynafit bindings since the first generation, release isn’t as consistent as piste bindings but it’s good enough. Some of the latest ones with the flip-up “cale” are a pain on rising traverses where they can release due to the turning moment of the boot heel pressing on them – they’ve cost us seconds in races. The simpler version are lighter and more reliable.

Skiing up in fresh powder is such hard work you might not spend as much time as you think skiing down in deep stuff, not enough to warrant water-ski type skis. I’m quite happy up to my knees in Powder and find 78 under foot enough for my 68kg. I like my skis short if only because they are easier in conversions on steep ground.

As for rocker or whatever the latest tech is: when you’re skiing powder, crusted crap, avalanche débris, slurry or whatever it’s more important to have a nice stiff ski with an even bend than the latest ultra-light, rocker, high-teck marketing managers dream.

IainAhh
    Free Member

Have a look at
    Telemark Pyrenees

for an idea of the range of gear available.

I agree with the comments above about using quiver killers to mount more than one binding on a set of skis. You would be able to use your existing skis (if reasonably new style) to try it out.

You can get them from here.

The Piste Office

I have telemark and tech pin binding inserts on my skis so I can swap the bindings over as I want. If you are touring in the Lakes or Scotland there is likely to be hiking and rocks to deal with. The bindings are expensive so being able to swap them over to an older pair of skis you are not so bothered about is good. “Rock bashers”.

Ski the same length as usual unless to save weight or a more nimble ski. Weight does make a difference. Mainly for hiking. The current wider skis are great for soft snow, crud, powder etc. Touring boots with a walk mode are a hell of a lot easier to walk in, particularly if on mixed terrain i.e. rocks and heather.

footflaps

I’ve got a set of 99cm Ski-touring blades (with skins) which I’m about to put on Ebay. Bought them in the Cairngorms years ago so I could ski back from a days climbing in the Northern Corries rather than walk out. Never used the skins, they’re still in their wrapping.

£100 posted if you’re interested in having a play….

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Amazing, thanks all, didn’t know about quiver killers. Also boots with a walk mode are a necessity. Never going to get good snow down to the car!

footflaps

I’d look on Ebay, I sold some top end Scarpa Ski Touring boots (in VGC) and got all of about £45 for them, just because they were a few years old.

scotsman
    Free Member

I ditched the Dynafit binding last year and went with Marker kingpins for a change and put quiver killers in three sets of skis to suit the kingpins, the kingpins were the first DIN certified pin tech type binding to have an alpine binding style release. They are a little heavier than a touring Dynafit but offer the same benefits with added safety. Also if you go on holiday you can take 2 sets of skis with you in a single ski bag as you only have one set of bindings, back-country and a piste ski.

balfa
    Free Member

I’d keep an eye on the for sale thread on ‘British Backcountry’ on Facebook for second hand gear. I’m about to sell some 185cm salomon Guns (90mm) waist skis with fritschi free ride frame bindings. I also have skins and 28.5 Garmont the boots. I have used them in Scotland mainly but have seen use in the Lakes and Alps. Well used but plenty of life left as something to start with. I think 90mm is about the widest you need for the UK. I’m only selling as I have moved on to newer boots, dynafit bindings and stiffer skis. The newer boots are much better than older kit. Much more support for the same weight. Probably worth in getting newish boots. Skis not so much.

TheDTs
    Free Member

Have you looked on Ebay, often some old hire gear being sold from the alpes, I picked up a pair of good condition Dynasta Cham + Fritchi Diamir bindings for very sensible money. They were cheaper than I could find the bindings anywhere else.. Have now got the bindings on a new pair of skis but they will go back on the Cham if we get any snow here..

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Ski Touring set up’ is closed to new replies.