Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)
  • Ski Sunday Annoyance
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

Why doesn’t that bell end Bell stick a GoPro on his helmet for filming the run instead of holding the camera with one hand trying to keep control.

lazybike
    Free Member

He’s just showing off….

mildred

Unless you’re Mr GoPro, why do you care?

nealglover
    Free Member

Because a helmet mounted camera isn’t the best way to film it.

A handheld one is 😉

Hope that helps.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😉

He shoots in front, facing him for commentary, and from his ski. All of which really shows you how hard he’s skiing, and gives a great impression of the piste.

He’s also a waaaaay better skier than any of the Go-Pro touting “edit” filmers once sees “shredding the gnat”. Most of whom are male chickens who don’t know how to ski/board, let alone know the rules of the hill.

JEngledow
    Free Member

Maybe he read THIS and was put off!!

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Who’s the bell end?

Think about it, if the camera was helmet mounted, 90% of the time all you would see is white snow. About the only time he is stood up straight is when he crosses the finish line.

seba560
    Free Member

Because he puts the GoPro on the end of his ski.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be a go pro as I suspect the bbc will have far better kit, I would of thought there would be a better way of filming the piste, unless your actually standing on the slope you will not appreciate how bloody steep it is.

stevewhyte
    Free Member

Yet another arm chair stw expert.

I’m amazed the bbc are not knocking down your door and pleading with you to join there production team. 🙄

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Perhaps a viewers prospective is whats lacking, a camera mounted on a boom arm coming out from the back of his helmet would be a good start.

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Did you not watch the feature where he explained why he used what he used!!! FFS 🙄

flippinheckler
    Free Member

LOL obviously not! As you were, hope all your blood pressures return to normal.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Doesn’t have to be a go pro as I suspect the bbc will have far better kit,

A well known chain of bike shops, mainly in London, sells many, many, many of them to the Beeb every year. Notably for use on shows like Top Gear, Ski Sunday and Countryfile. Oddly, many, many, many of them seem to go missing at the end of each shoot…..

MrSparkle

ITV use ’em too. I found one at the 3 Peaks cx and later traced the owner with the help of Twitter (much to my son’s disgust!) and it turned out to belong to ITV who were filming one of the top juniors.

luffy105
    Free Member

Capt Flash, they do go missing indeed! 🙂

glupton1976
    Free Member

Adventure Show use GoPro cameras too.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Good endorsement for GoPro though!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

There’s one on Countryfile now, as it happens!

nealglover
    Free Member

I would of thought there would be a better way of filming the piste

There isn’t.

Otherwise they would be doing it.

Hope that helps (again)

hammerite
    Free Member

If you watch the Austrian dude who does the same job for Eurosport more often than not he has a helmet cam, hand held (which he points forwards and back on occasion) and also a cam on his skis. It’s a well rehearsed routine.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

I just watched that on Iplayer and reckon that was a great clip. About ten years ago I sneaked onto the course the week after the race late in the afternoon with a couple of racers/ guides. The Mausefalle was fenced off, but even without that the course was very, very scary. The start is much steeper than on tv and we made turns down the steilhang and still only just “made” the 90 degree corner. I wiped out on the Hausberg compression and ended up in the netting quite shaken up. From there, and from a standing start the final schuss is one of the scariest things I have ever done and that’s the easy bit. So hats off to Bell going pretty flat out, with camera and one pole. That’s guts!

I have walked down the Hahenkamm in Summer and it’s still bloody scary without snow!!!!

Woody
    Free Member

Why doesn’t that bell end Bell

……….

STW definition of ‘bell-end’ ….

Talented, successful and handsome male who your wife/partner fantasises about and wouldn’t dare mention but furtive squirming movements on settee are a giveaway, thus invoking feelings of intense jealousy. Can also be cross-matched with, knob, dick, prick and other slang for the male appendage in an attempt to assauge feelings of inadequacy.

Ed Leigh has recognised and embraced this with his email and twitter accounts 😉

allthegear
    Free Member

Woody is right. He’s definitely handsome…

Rachel

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

If I had to and i was given the choice I’d choose Ed.

hels
    Free Member

Is that the guy with the lovely eyes and smile ?? Another fan here. Shame about the accent but I guess that’s a detail.

hammerite
    Free Member

TeamHM – I did the run last April. Wasn’t as bad as the conditions you faced, in that it was soft going due to time of year and so little ability to get up to breakneck speeds.

The Hausberg was the most difficult bit for me, it’s unpisted the rest of the year so it was just a big mogul field.

hammerite
    Free Member

I’m at work so haven’t watched this video, but it may help explain the kit they use…..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/21219637

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

hammerite, I am sure it is a great run in normal conditions, but in race conditions it is truly scary. I was shocked to look out of the starting gate and how steep the first section is to the top of the Mausefalle. We stopped at the fence but looked down the jump itself and that made me feel a little sick! How those guys and especially Bell make the Steilhang amazes me, the corner is so tight and doing that at speed on sheer ice is full-on ballsy stuff (plus amazing edges and technique). I was shattered by the Hausberg and not expecting the jump. Plus had neither the technique nor the edges to deal with the compression. Ouch!!

I think Bell and Ed are doing a better job at trying to keep SS different and relevant. The snowboarding piece this week was really interesting IMO and some of their stunts are epic. I would like to see a bit more racing though.

But going back to the OP, I really take my hat of the Bell and enjoy his filmed runs almost as much as the race itself. He makes them (slightly) relevant to us recreational skiers IMO.

Woody
    Free Member

teamhurtmore

I’m always amazed when you see the DH runs first hand. When you see the speed they are going it brings home the level of skill/strength/fitness/balls these guys have.

The Hahnenkamm is on my list of ‘must do’s’ as I’m going there on Saturday 😀

nedrapier

I think Graham and Ed do a great job, I really enjoyed that other show they did (High altitide? or something?)

I’m also a big fan of Tom Burt, fantastic to see a decent piece on him on prime-time BBC. Love watching his lines, every single turn is perfectly judged to put him in the right spot to the next turn as easy and efficient as possible. Like watching a flawless 147 break, but more interesting.

Ed Leigh’s twitter name comes from his 3 x British Air Guitar Champion alter-ego, “Satan Whoppercock” with codpiece mounted Roman Candle firework finale. You can’t say the chap’s not versatile!

hammerite
    Free Member

TeaHM – I’m guessing you skied it much more like a racer than I did. I did it most days as the last run down, but only bothered with the mogully Hausberg once. My journey down included probably 1,000 turns and a couple of rest stops, and I’m guessing took 10 mins+!

The mousefalle wasn’t a jump for me, although by the end of the week there was only about a 1ft strip of snow on the entry to it (the rest was grass), so there was no choice of line.

richmtb

Hats of to Graham Bell. You can hear how hard he is working as he descends. The adverse camber on the Steilhang was amazing. To do it one handed fair play.

Liked the Tom Burt stuff as well, they were a bit “rad” but the stuff he was doing was pretty bonkers

v666ern
    Free Member

Not really relevant fact, Ed Leigh used to work at Noah’s Ark in Stoud, snowboard and bike shop…

your right dull 😐

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Have fun woody!!! I have only skied HKamm the one time. It was officially closed for good reason as it was still race set up. In addition to the “real” speed the thing that struck me most about a live DH is the noise of the racers. You hear them coming and then it’s like a bullet going past. Unreal talent and bravery.

Many, many years ago, I had one of the best days skiing ever with Konrad Bartelski in Val. Only four of us with a simple mission. Le Fornet to La Breviere via the Grande Motte and back without stopping. He was incredible to ski with, schussing mogul fields flat out. A great guy but a nutter on skiis – at least to the rest of us. We did cheat (ie stop) at one stage (ok several) when we skied the La Dialle DH course because he wanted to talk about the run and show us the jumps. He marked out the distance of the tunnel jump near the bottom of the La Daille run. Unreal distance covered in the air!!

Woody
    Free Member

THM
    Lucky you to get to ski with someone as good as that. Many years ago, I skied with a member of the British Olympic DH Team (female) after she had retired from competitive skiing and the ‘schussing mogul fields’ still lives in my memory. 😯

xcgb
    Free Member

On a side note, Ed leigh was the winner of the Official UK Air Guitar Championships in 2000, 2001 and 2002. he was known as Satan Whoppercock 😀

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

So nice to see some ski adverts now on the side of this thread – but there is still no escaping the bloody shed!!! Dunster House, I have NO INTEREST in your knockdown sale but would willing knock down you sheds and adverts!!!

hammerite
    Free Member

Dunster House are a decent company though, a local success story (local if you live near me!). I thought I must have written something about sheds somewhere to get one of their adverts!

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My late wife skied with GB on a press trip. She said he was lovely; a real dish!

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 47 total)

The topic ‘Ski Sunday Annoyance’ is closed to new replies.