Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Ski resort/chalet advice
  • samcamsdad

Reaching out to the STW hive for some advice on ski resorts for next winter.
    There’s 12 of us (6 adults, 6 kids) looking for a catered chalet for Christmas 2020, but we’re unsure of the best resorts at this time of year. We’re all at beginner level so we’re not after a full on crazy resort, just somewhere not too expensive with guaranteed snow.
    So does anybody have any recommendations of resorts, chalets or companies that would be worth looking in to? Cheers.

BoardinBob

Early season so look for high altitude resorts to guarantee snow.

I’d thoroughly recommend Cervinia. Just back from 7 days there. Excellent for beginners (you can access the entire mountain using gondolas). Stunning scenery. Much, much cheaper than France.

littledave
    Free Member

Bob”s advice is sound.
    We normally go skiing for one week at that time of year.
    We have been to Val Thorens, Val DIsere, Tignes and Cervinia. All of these work.
    I believe that many Austrian resorts have a good snow record.
    Some French resorts can be accessed by no stop Eurostar which is my preferred ski travel method.

samcamsdad

Sound advice thanks, I’ll start by looking at Cervinia.
    I like the idea of Eurostar direct as well so will also look in to this option.
    Cheers.

tuboflard

Are you wanting catered chalet or self catering OP? France tends to dominate the market for catered chalets for brits, Austria tends to be half board hotels.

I’ve done Grand Bornand twice now at new year and whilst not high altitude we’ve not had bad conditions on piste yet. Chinaillon is a nice little area and the chalet had backed on to a green piste. Perfect.

samcamsdad

@tuboflard, catered chalet ideally, as we just want to enjoy the snow and not have to worry about feeding 12 people!

tuboflard

@samcamsdad I’d look at places like Tignes then, as snow sure as you’ll get in France and nice and extensive ski area to work up to. Italian options suggested above also worth investigating.

EDIT: Avoriaz also a nice car free resort and pretty much snow sure as well. Nice long beginners runs as well.

thegeneralist
    Free Member

IMHO the high altitude snowsure advice is fifteen years out of date. Most resorts have such a high percentage of Kunstschnee that you’ll be sorted at Christmas regardless.

Yes, higher resorts are generally colder, and hence easier to make snow, but most years it doesn’t make much difference.

tuboflard

Don’t disagree @thegeneralist but Christmas really is very (some would say too) early for a skiing holiday, it’s only because people have time off that tour operators push first week of the season around then. There’s lots of snowmaking in every resort now but if that is all that can be relied on either due to lack of precipitation or just not cold enough then you get big crowds funnelled on to a handful of runs which doesn’t really make for a fun holiday.

There’s no surprise that resorts like Tignes and Val D’Isere get open early as they generally benefit from the natural stuff but also are good at keeping the man made stuff on tap.

Other places that do this as well are the Dolomite resorts but I find skiing down a white strip of snow with fields of grass either side takes the edge off the winter feel!

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Ohhhh….. and stay away from any resorts using Chambery Airport. I’ve just had some friends have their entire holiday cancelled on them after sitting on the runway at Exeter for 6 hours. ALL Crystal Ski planes from all over UK were unable to fly yesterday as Chambery was all fogged in.

Apparently its quite common at Chambery.

Also, get a copy of the book….”Where to ski and Snowboard.” Excellent information covering all ski resorts. It will help you make a decision.

I’ve spent ages pouring over books, websites and brochures.

Resorts which are great for beginners AND have a good value for money rating AND have good scenery AND have good snow AND have good apres-ski activities AND fly from my local airport would include:

La Flaine
    Passo Tonale
    Cervinia
    La Rosiere
    Livigno
    Montegenevre

Check out the book. It helped me narrow down my search pretty quickly. Have a read and draw up your own list. Only you know what you really want from a resort.

OHHHHH….. and Crystal Ski are owned by Tui. Tui have had a VERY tough year after the whole Thomas Cook collapse and the Boeing contract thingy. Tui have issued LOADS of profit warnings this year and are £250m in debt.

Have fun.

eskay

We have just spent Christmas in Levi (Finland). Pretty much guaranteed snow (being inside Arctic circle) great for beginners as well. The only snag maybe cost though, we always go self catering so not sure about catered chalets.

Loads of other stuff to do, we did ice karting this year and snow mobiling. Have done huskies sledding in the past and if the kids are small there is the whole Santa thing.

Great show of northern lights this year as well (see the photos you are proud of thread to see a pic).

BoardinBob

Yes, higher resorts are generally colder, and hence easier to make snow, but most years it doesn’t make much difference.

Not just making snow, but holding on to it.

6,000ft of snow sure descending in Cervinia

Compare that to Morzine where they’ve barely been able to patch together a run from the top of the Pleney to town.

27 years of snowboarding for me, and I’ll always pick the highest resorts.

If I wanted to ride down a strip of snow surrounded by green fields I’d just stick to riding in scotland

jimdubleyou

Have spent Xmas in Val Thorens a couple of years ago and Arc 2000 this year.

Both pretty reasonable prices (approx £1k all in each).

Neither are what you’d call “chocolate box” pretty, but both have had excellent snow.

Both times we’ve suffered from too much snow/wind for a few days each holiday – my advice would be to maybe go a smidge lower down where tree runs are more accessible. Either way, on days like that you’ll be queuing for one of the few lifts open…

Rockape63
    Free Member

Quite right Bob, despite the past few years, it can be very patchy in December, so choose a resort you won’t be fretting about.

I haven’t been to Cervinia, but VT is excellent for that time of year and has good beginner areas. You could do a lot worse’

JonEdwards
    Free Member

I’ll put a shout out for The Goat Shed in Les Arcs. On the map, the location makes It look a bit remote, but they’ll shuttle you up to the lifts every morning then collect you from the bar in the evening, so it’s almost ski in/ski out. Very easy access to the Vanoise Express, so the whole Paradiski area is available (some of which is pretty high), plus an easy transfer from the Eurostar in Bourg St Maurice. Then to top it all, the food is excellent. They also do mountain bike stuff in the summer (old skool Trail Addiction guests may well recognise it)

TomB

Jon- you’re right, but I expect Soph and Gordon are already booked up for next Xmas given their high number of returning happy customers. Christmas can be a bit funny- patchy or hard snow, weather of all sorts, cold for the kids etc. However, can also be a lovely time to be away.

singletrackmind

Plus short days, flat light, high winds, busy resorts, lift queues, rude French people
    However I am lucky to have been twice over Xmas and its been the most enjoyable Xmas ever. Sod the train, 3 car loads stretch it out to 8 or 9 days away, over night stops on both legs plus le funnel
    Won’t be cheap mind
    Oh and Chalets Direct will let you post a request and the owners get back to you with a price

samcamsdad

Thanks all, plenty to be looking at now.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Ski resort/chalet advice’ is closed to new replies.