Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • skewy tyre woes (tubeless content)
  • nostoc
    Free Member

First tyre.
    New set of wheels with Stans Olympics, new pair of Mountain Kings (non UST) After much effort I managed a super-ghetto tubeless set-up. But…..one tyre had a one cm bulge in one side. So best thing to do, I supposed, was to ride around on it and it would seat itself properly. I went off on a longish ride but it still bulged – making it look like I made crap wheels. Close inspection revealed tyre might have been faulty – the treads on either side of the tyre went out of alignment at the bulge spot. However, seeing as I’d had them a little while (unused) and I’d ridden them a bit, I didn’t send them back. I bought another tyre.
    Second tyre.
    Inspected new tyre closely. After much effort I managed a super-ghetto tubeless set-up. Went out for long ride – tyre perfect (except on wet rocks)
    Next ride – puncture on sharp rocks. Fitted inner tube and carried on. About a week later I get round to patching tyre – two small patches from Velox kit. After much effort I managed another super-ghetto tubeless set-up (including perfecting the car-tyre-as-compressor method) BUT – tyre is totally skewy, much worse than the last one – rubbing on the chainstay. Tried again – still skewy. Put it on a different rim with an inner tube – still skewy.
    So, am I buying crap tyres or am I damaging them? The repair was two 4-5mm pinch puncture cuts and the biggest bulge is on the opposite side of the tyre to the patches.
    Any ideas?

ballsofcottonwool
    Free Member

buy some UST tyres cheapskate

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Are the beads seating properly?

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    nostoc
    Free Member

TJ – yes, they snap into place and I take them off and put them on again.

ballsofcottonwool – yes, my thoughts too.

Sum
    Free Member

IIRC UST tyres have thicker sidewalls than non-UST. Perhaps nostoc's non-UST Mountain Kings are bulging at a thinspot in the sidewall?

scaredypants

hmmm, I've a UST nobby nic that's a bit shit – has a wibble and a "flat-spot" at the same point

fozzybear
    Free Member

i've just fitted maxxis HR to my stan's all ok, sounds like cheap tyres IMO.. you don't need UST tyres though… i've been fine with stan's and normal "tube" tyres…

njee20
    Free Member

I don't use UST tyres because they're at least 100g heavier (often a lot more!) than their non-UST equivalent, nowt to do with being tight!

Conti's don't really work too well tubeless anyway IME, particularly not Supersonic versions, Schwalbe or Maxxis are far better. I must admit though in all the tyres I've set up I've only seen a couple that've had bulges and what not, and I've always just sent them back and had them replaced.

STATO
    Free Member

There have been reports of 'skewy' tyres so thats a possibility, but if your running tubeless maybe its also possible they were overinflated and damaged that way?

Also, sealant can damage some tyres (Schwalbe had an issue with this didnt it?)

fozzybear
    Free Member

and conti do… maxxis are fine with sealent.. even on none UST versions..

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘skewy tyre woes (tubeless content)’ is closed to new replies.