Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • skatetrackworld – should I buy this?
  • ferrals
    Free Member

Since we are stuck at home I’ve decided to buy a skateboard. Hopefully this will not adversely affect A&E.

Does this seem a reasonable board to buy: https://www.skatehut.co.uk/skateboards/complete-skateboards/chocolate-cruz-dreamers-complete-skateboard-7-625.htm

Decision based purely on liking the graphics and vaguely remembering the brand from the mid nineties which was the last time I regularly put foot to deck…

crikey
    Free Member

Get it.

I bought a BFO cruiser for carving the local car park, expect bruises…

donkeysled

Thats a super skinny board (to me)
    What did you used to ride?
    How/ where are you intending to ride this one.
    Are you a cruiser or a tech head?
    So many variables.
    I would concentrate on what size and shape of deck first ( compare to what you used to ride) what brand of trucks you used to run and wheels to suit terrain you may ride on.

ferrals
    Free Member

To be honest I cant really remember width etc. I am just going to use it to ride around the local school car park trying to remember how to ollie/kickflip etc while my daughter uses her scooter; which is our current daily exercise… only I am not getting any exercise! I was never really interested in ramp stuff, only ever skated street and think will stick to that.. but until lockdown is over I’ll be sticking to the flat remembering the basics

Was planning on getting a complete set up for simplicity. No need for anything snazzy. I’ve a feeling in a few months whwen we are back to normal it will be relegated to a quick way to get from the car-park to work!

scruff
    Free Member

Does look narrow. You’ll need huge trousers and hi tops with the tops cut off.

ferrals
    Free Member

What is standard? 8in?

dc1988

It has own brand trucks and wheels, you can get some cheaper equivalents from various brands but it will still skate perfectly well compared to more expensive custom built boards.

finbar
    Free Member

It’s pretty narrow, but similar to what I would have skated back in the day (also, for me, mid/late 90s). Will be a lot easier to try and kickflip that than a wider board, but pretty nervy for cruising round on.

I think you’ll regret not getting something a bit nicer. It’s not that expensive (compared to bikes at least) to get a pro-ish setup.

Got to be Independent trucks: https://www.sluggerskatestore.co.uk/collections/trucks/products/independent-129-stage-11-standard-trucks-skateboard-trucks

Maybe some 54mm wheels if you’re going to be skating street/trying kickflips: https://www.sluggerskatestore.co.uk/collections/wheels/products/heroin-eyes-54mm-glow-in-the-dark-skateboard-wheels

Then you just need whatever deck you fancy and some bearings. (Links to my local skate shop in Sheffield, well worth supporting).

eulach

While we’re here, my 7yo daughter wants a board. She’s been playing around on an old bashed up thing and has basic moving along sorted. So a serious beginners board for small legs and feet. What size deck and trucks? IANASK8R.

finbar
    Free Member

A polyprop Penny board might be quite good for a 7 year old, as they won’t chip/delaminate when they inevitably get punted into walls like wooden decks do. The little 22″ one: https://uk.pennyskateboards.com/skateboards/skateboards-all/22-skateboards.html?p=2

brads
    Free Member

Oh god, dinnae start me ffs

Missus made me bin my last board when I was 34.

I retire soon at 55 and plan to buy a long board when I do lol. She is not happy.

Might need my new hips sooner rather than later hahaha.

butcher

It’s probably bigger than what you skated in the 90s. On the small side these days but all personal preference. 8s are very common now, and a lot of people skate bigger.

The actual quality is probably fine though. I bought a similar budget board and I can’t really tell the difference when pottering around at the local park occasionally.

crimsondynamo
    Free Member

Any views on the £50 Decathlon complete for a 15y/o beginner?

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/team-galaxy-skateboard-red–id_8311140.html

flyingmonkeycorps

I skate 8.25″, but that’s mainly for cruising around on massive fat wheels.

That’ll be fine for what you describe, though personally I wouldn’t want to go back to a super skinny board (and it’s quite short too). If you’re not too fussy about trucks you could probably spec up something nicer with clearance boards etc for the same money.

Plus it’s always good to support smaller skater owned shops like the one linked above if you can.

ferrals
    Free Member

Cheers all. Going to stick to a complete for simplicity and cost. Been looking at our local independant skateshop and they have a couple of completes so will probably go for one of them https://www.existskatestore.co.uk/collections/complete-skateboards/products/enuff-skateboard-complete

trumpton
    Free Member

Edit

trumpton
    Free Member

For a decent cheap board look at enuff. They do kids sizes too for a 7 year old. For just cruising on I would prefer a long board or a wider board with large soft wheels

easily
    Free Member

There was another skateboard thread a few days ago. @donkeysled recommended these:
    https://www.skatepro.uk/84-26238.htm
    At that price I think you can’t go wrong. Even if you end up just using it a few times it would be worth it.

Futureboy77
    Free Member

My youngest has an enuff set up. It’s grand for her size and age, but I wouldn’t fancy riding one as it’s not particularly good wood.

I ride 8.65/8.75 but I mainly skate parks and ramps rather than street (and I’m very old skool – I started skating in the late 80’s).

trumpton
    Free Member

What effect would it have if the wood isn’t as good

Futureboy77
    Free Member

@trumpton cheaply made decks don’t pop well when doing tricks, the tend to feel soggy very quickly so don’t last very long and I’ve seen my fair share of them snap on landing.

As I say, my kid rides one but she doesn’t weigh very much, my eldest who is older/heavier and actually doing tricks rides a better made board (PS Stix) for the reasons above.

There are constantly updated threads on skate forums tracking which brands are using which woodshops, as the woodshop is often viewed as more important than the actual brand of deck. I’ve skated 100’s of brands over the years but always tend to use brands which come from the PS workshop as an example.

ferrals
    Free Member

Ah well, my enuff complete arrived today… still I’m not in a position to notice too much at the moment if its not that good. Had forgotten what a workout skating is! Didn’t take long for me to remember how to tic-tak so had great fun buzzing around, got powerslides back and a few wobbly manuals… ollies tomorow! 🙂

Futureboy77
    Free Member

@ferrals enjoy. Skating is ace, just be cautious. I’ve been in A&E twice this year!

ferrals
    Free Member

haha yeah, I’m just messing around on flat tarmac while my daughter scoots so minimal danger really. Definitely won’t be taking any risks at the moment!

scruff
    Free Member

The ground will have gotten much harder and comes toward you much faster than when you used to roll back in the day.
    Take the pain.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘skatetrackworld – should I buy this?’ is closed to new replies.