Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Skateboard wheels – old man content
  • EddieFiola
    Free Member

Evening all.

I used to skate a lot in the late 80’s and up until about 98/99 sort of time.
    I mainly skated street and a bit of ramp, normally a set of 98a wheels would do for most things.

Anyway, I digress. Basically I need some wheels for a board that will be used in park,street and wood ramps. I used to know what I was on about, now I haven’t a clue.
    Some kid said get some Powell stf or dtf I think…..

Anyway, help. What wheels for a 44 year old who will break his neck trying to kick flip a four set?

Thanks

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Liar.

nealglover
    Free Member

Flying banana 🙂

butcher

Don’t think there’s a lot between them these days. I’d just get the cheapest. About 55mm, maybe.

bigad40
    Free Member

Check out Middleageshred forum.

scruff
    Free Member

EBay todd twist, Sean Goffs shop. Lots of choice new and old school. 60 mm is big enough but they go up to 101a now which will rattle your fillings out. Powell mini logos or something with skulls on.

chubstr
    Free Member

Spitfire formula four are getting a good name at the moment

Also Bones, I think ATF would suit your needs but check their website.

As has already been said, check out MiddleAgedShred forum

kayak23

You can still get Rat Bones. 85a

Haze

Spitfire Classics…

jkomo

Ask Mon at SS20, they’re old (Skool) as well.
    http://www.ss20.com/about-us-i31
    It’s my local skate shop, and they’re always willing to give advice and don’t seem to take the piss out of old people.
    I’m 44 and haven’t got back on my board even though I bought new wheels a couple of years ago.

mos

Sean Goff, crumbs i remember him, didn’t he used to ride Death Box boards?

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

Pacer Acid Drops.

Haze

I’m 44 and haven’t got back on my board even though I bought new wheels a couple of years ago

Applies to me also!

tpbiker
    Free Member

OOOOhhhh a middle aged skateboard thread!

What was everybodies best trick then?

Back in the day I could kickflip shovit down 4 steps, and also pull off a mighty impressive one footed stalefish as well..

over to you for further willie waving..

(can just about pull off an ollie nowadays)

binno
    Free Member

Wheel size is dependant on the truck height you’re running. Modern trucks are available in Low 47.5mm or high 55mm (ish), which restrict your wheel size options. It’s generally better to have as low a set up and as possible. 54mm is a good general size, with 56mm/58mm being a better fit for larger boards. You can obviously go bigger using risers under the trucks but you’re only really adding more weight, with little advantage speed wise unless you’re into big ramp riding.

Modern wheels are all pretty good. Bones ATF are quiet, soft and nice and trim keeping the weight down. Ricta Clouds or Spitfire HD’s are similar, there’s quite a few to choose from. I’m keen on wheels around 78A – 85A range.

Also if you’re running your old board, bare in mind that the deck is probably soft with age and has no pop left + old trucks have a different base plate fitting to modern decks.

I also have some near new 58mm Krooked Crushers 78A and a set of Girl 54mm wheels around 99A for sale, email me if you’re interested.

scruff
    Free Member

I’ve skated a vert demo with Tony Hawk.
    Daz, saw tot at unit360 the other week, brilliant place.

tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve skated a vert demo with Tony Hawk.

I certainly never skated with him, but I did see him at Livingston at the Powell tour once. I’d been ging there for years and never seen anybody close to being able to do anything more than grind the big bowl.

Then Hawk and Bucky came along and just ripped it up, it was simply amazing. Such a good vibe about the place, it was meant to be a demo, but they just sessioned the place with the locals, cheered on all the kids, and generallly were awesome.

One of my favourite memories..

Haze

Daz, saw tot at unit360 the other week, brilliant place

Had a gander once but didn’t have my board with me, wish we’d had these kind of places back in the day.

Not that I’d change anything mind, had many good times on Stampy’s bodges…

wilko1999
    Free Member

Back in the day – Tracker Ollie’s all the way. On my board now that I barely ride at age 41 – Spitfire Classics

bob_summers

Just bought a pink set of NOS Slammers, they’ll look suitably hideous on my purple Hosoi Hammerhead!

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

There is a huge difference in skate wheels, formula, profile shape, core etc etc, and like anything you get what you pay for but always sniff for bs first.

That said, if you want speed and amazing wheels with some unique flavours buy from these guys in the states.

http://www.speedlabwheels.com

EddieFiola
    Free Member

Im actually putting together a video of 80/90’s skating from the north at the moment, its a labour of love really, its ending will be 5 old men going skating again at barrow skate park. Ive compiled all the interviews and the like but editing all the footage we took from then is quite hard work.
    Its basically the z boys crossed with the young farmers!!!

Haze

Aah Barrow, loved the indoor ‘mini’ you guys had up there…

oldmanmtb
    Free Member

Eeeer mmmm I am an old skater ride a z pig with trackers and abec 11 wheels only n the summer

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Skateboard wheels – old man content’ is closed to new replies.