Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Skateboard or BMX for my mid-life crisis?
  • mdb
    Free Member

So I’m 40 in March and fancy doing something different. I used to skate until my early 20s so that feels like the obvious thing to go back to, but falling off hurts like hell. Maybe a BMX might be a bit easier and my MTB skills might transfer?

I guess a skateboard is a less costly mistake financially.

Welcome your thoughts, especially from any “old” skaters or BMXers out there.

5thElefant
    Free Member

Have you mixed up 40 with 14?

eskay

only one answer – both.

I usually nick one of my kid’s bmx’s for a few laps when we got to the track. I have come close to buying one a couple of times.

mdb
    Free Member

Have you mixed up 40 with 14?

My wife said the same thing.

eskay

Who says that you have to be 14 to ride either? If it puts a smile on your face then you are not too old.

totalshell

fat and 45 i bought a bmx went down the park and i could have been grandad to most thier.. but.. at a half decent park i can do some competant stuff now.. the quality of parks varies massively.. hebden littleborough all first rate whilst even some brand new parks must have been designed by someone who’s never seen one .. milnrow..

enjoy

i did recomend a competant bike but nothing flash..

phatstanley
    Free Member

i’m 44 this year and am loving skating more now than ever in the 30 or so years since i started.
    not super tech at all (never learned to kickflip even, but love boosting f.side bonelesses over a hip!), but the building of out and indoor parks around here (edinburgh) means there’s always somewhere to ride, regardless of weather….been off the mtb for weeks cuz the weather has been so pants.
    i wear elbow pads usually, cuz that’s my main impact area…

was helping my seven yr. old face his fear of dropping in today….

you’re too old *NOT* to get back on a deck. 😀 😀 😀

singlespeedstu

I’m still waiting for my mid life crisis and I’m 46 this year.
    Maybe you have to grow up first before you can have one?
    Maybe when i hit 50 I’ll buy another enduro bike and start racing against all the other ex british championship enduro riders that were touring europe back in the day and are still showing the uk kids how to do it…

cloudnine
    Free Member

It’s more the realisation that if you don’t do it soon you really will be too old to play skateboards and bmx.
    Don’t wait another day my friend.. life goes by in a flash.

fervouredimage
    Free Member

Life’s too short to get caught up in self imposed rules about what we can and can’t do at certain points in our lives. If you fancy doing it, do it. I’d never ridden a BMX until last year (30) and now have a proper race BMX and dabble in a bit of racing and am down my local track every other weekend having a blast trying to clear the doubles, triples etc. I initially thought i’d look like a fool turning up at 30 years old with a load of kids and teenagers practicing but no one could care less. I realised it was just my problem and overt self awareness. No one else is remotely interested or bothered.

eskay

I would also add that the bmxing crew are a really nice bunch.

Walking past you would think they are a load of louts but when you ride with them they are really friendly and they have always been really caring when one of my boys have fallen off. Stereotypes and all that eh!

Age doesn’t appear to be a boundary for bmx.

Tom83

30 here, bought a bmx last year and loving it. Tried skateboarding but couldn’t get on with it. Hastings has a great outdoor skatepark, luckily it dries quickly!

grannygrinder
    Free Member

Last year i was 40 and i decided on a Longboard and 24″ wheel cruiser bmx.
    Only downside is my son seems to have taken ownership of both!!!

passtherizla
    Free Member

Used to skateboard…. Always a skateboarder. You know the right choice.

paulmgreen
    Free Member

I started skating again aged 40. ( am 50 now )

Go for it…… Or like posters above said…. Do both…. And just go with whatever’s the most enjoyable…… Or just do both! No law against it!

One life….. live it fella

Northwind

You can have my 30-something BMX for cheap. Fixed up then ridden once 🙂

qwerty
    Free Member

If it’s pain your fretting about, I don’t think it matters which you choose if your just rolling around. But, if you really start pushing some boundaries then I think BMX will beat you harder when you get it wrong.
    I’m 42 and just brought myself a BMX to roll around at my very local indoor skatepark. Most of the BMXers there are either at school or 30-40. Age DOES NOT have any affect on ability. Learn park etiquette and no one minds if your crap. It is amazing how breathless you can get from just pumping round a bowl without pedaling. I acknowledge that I’m rather late to the BMX party and wish I’d gotten into it years ago!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Skateboard or BMX for my mid-life crisis?’ is closed to new replies.