Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • SJCam 4000+ M10+ or GoPro3+ Silver?
  • iain1775
    Free Member

4000+ – £92
    M10+ – £108
    GoPro – £150 (incl additional battery backpack)

All seem to have similar specs (the bits I’m concerned with anyway), the SJCams both are the ones with image stabilisation

Pros and cons of each please, not going to be doing anything fancy with it, occasional use so at the moment I’m thinking the cheapest but the temptation of the cheap GoPro is tempting

geoffj

I think the 4000 can be had for nearer £60.

spacemonkey

Worth digging out the 1 year old thread on the virtues of the SJ4000 vs others. I got mine + extra battery + extra mounts for about £120 from Banggood, then picked up a fat SD card for another few quid.

Very impressive piece of kit for the money.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I’m going through the same dilemma at the moment and have come to the conclusion that the Hero is the benchmark as funds allow, the sjcam is a toe in the water before buying the gopro. Remember that not all sjcams are the same.

flyingmonkeycorps

My SJ is great, but it cost more like fifty quid. Not sure I’d be so happy with it at close to a hundred.

iain1775
    Free Member

It’s the + I’m looking at for £92
    Wifi
    2k recording
    Image stabilisation
    And rotation feature over the basic £60 4000

….and a small remain for a UK seller genuine one

growinglad
    Free Member

I bought a QUMOX SJ4000 recently.

Had to buy a memory card and also choose a spare battery.

Very impressed so far with the quality, good camera, plus it comes with all the gizmos.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Just get the gopro. They are the benchmark and you know it will turn on and work every time,it will be genuine. the software will work and will be worth more than 2p if you decide to sell it. It doesn’t take much googling to find pages of problems with the cheap Chinese ones.
    I started looking for a cheap one but quickly decided to buy a hero 4 black. The cheap Chinese cameras seem as much of a minefield as lights.
    No one is ever sure they have got a genuine one and no one can point you in the direction of a guaranteed genuine one to buy.
    Also from what I have seen the image quality is never very good.

HoratioHufnagel
    Free Member

Just get the 30 quid one. No amount of fancy high-res super image quality is going to change the fact that most of the videos will be incredibly boring, and the camera will spend most of its time in a draw. (my experience)

nickjb
    Free Member

Lack of screen on the GoPro would be a deal breaker for me. Not much use as an action cam if you need to get your phone out to use it. The screen and controls on the SJ are a bit fiddly but easy enough to use. I don’t really use it for biking, mostly due to what HH said above, but it does come in handy. Got some great underwater footage. The video quality on my SJ4000 is excellent straight out the camera, the compression for youtube and the like can really mess it up though.

iain1775
    Free Member

Just get the 30 quid one. No amount of fancy high-res super image quality is going to change the fact that most of the videos will be incredibly boring, and the camera will spend most of its time in a draw. (my experience)

This is indeed my thinking which is why I think Im favouring the SJ as it can also be used as a dash cam so Im likely to get more everyday use out of it

timmys

Copy and paste from your Argos thread;

“Based in my SJ4000 (not 4000+) I’d go with the GoPro at that price. I’d say the video quality is as near as makes no difference the same, but the build quality, on my SJ4000 at least, is pretty poor. For example, getting the buttons to recognise being pressed requires 10,000 tonnes of force which makes it very irritating to use.”

I’m sure my SJ4000 was around £35-40. Probably fake to be honest but the image quality is great.

Personally I’d go cheap (ie. SJ4000 not the plus), see if you actually use it. If you do then consider at that point if it’s worth upgrading to a GoPro. Best thing about the SJ’s is that the mounts are all GoPro compatible so there’s no danger in investing in all the mount kit if you upgrade to GoPro later.

Only other thing I’d add is to definitely avoid the TomTom, Garmin, Contour, Sony ones. Unless you are riding at Red Bull Rampage, any helmet mounted video looks totally mince-core due to flattening of everything. Handle bar mounting is just too rattly. That leave chest mounting as the only viable option and you really need a GoPro shaped camera for that.

andysredmini
    Free Member

I would rather have a proper gopro without a screen than any of the other options. I bought the screen for my hero 4 black and I barely use it. its completely useless having a screen to show you where to point the camera when most of the time its not in a position where you will be able to view it anyway e.g helmet mounting. Much better to be able to connect it to your phone and view it real time with the camera in position. The screen is useful for quick reviewing and changing settings but I wouldn’t say its essential as you can do all this on the phone as well.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘SJCam 4000+ M10+ or GoPro3+ Silver?’ is closed to new replies.