Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Sizing of Santa Cruz 5010 2018…M or L
  • breninbeener

I have seen some attractive offers on SC 5010 2018.

The SC website says M is for up to 5’10 tall.

Im not quite 5’9” so usually ride a medium in most stuff, but SC seem to have a reputation for being short? Is it a medium.i want, or an L?

Can anyone advise?

Beener

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Im not quite 5’9” so usually ride a medium in most stuff, but SC seem to have a reputation for being short? Is it a medium.i want, or an L?

Read the actual numbers, the reputation is generally in the past. I’m 5’9 I’d say I’m right on the line depending on how it’s set up so depends if you are all legs or arms really.

https://www.jungleproducts.co.uk/dealers/santacruz/

Near any of these?

breninbeener

Im much more arms than legs…so maybe the L.

Im not near a dealer in the NW of Wales…argh

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Well Llandegla has a Medium demo, stand over is the same on both bikes so it’s just a length question of length, a sit on the med should tell you if you want longer. They have bronsons and nomads in large so that might help you decide

nuke

What do currently ride & how do the the figures compare to the 5010?

Fwiw im just under 5’9″ and id not even consider the large…medium all the way

breninbeener

I will check my curremt numbers….i have;-

Orange Gyro in medium( great fit)

Cube Stereo 160 HPC ’13( a tiny bit short)

Production Privee Shan M (a bit short)

Cube Reaction gtc M (great fit)

robgclarkson
    Free Member

I’m 6’… had;

Yeti SB66c in medium perfect

Alpine 160 in medium too small

V2 5010 in large perfect…

Blackflag
    Free Member

Im 6′ exactly and i’m on a large. Feels spot on.

clubby

OP, I’m same height as you and long body/short leg and I’m on a large.  Also sat on an xl and it wasn’t overly big.

Large comes with a 50mm stem, so option to go down to 35mm long stem if needed.

nuke

Intrigued by the length of dropper travel you guys are using if sizing up…im just under 5’9″ and, on my medium Remedy with 420mm seattube, 125mm dropper is the max i can use; a large 5010 is 450mm seatube so would be max 100mm dropper for me

tails
    Free Member

Where are the good offers you’ve seen OP?

nuke

Where are the good offers you’ve seen OP?

Stif 50% off for black friday….

https://www.stif.co.uk/features/black-friday-2018/

Shame its not 50% off Hightower though 😞

clubby

Nuke – 150mm KS lev.

I’ve 30” leg measurement for jeans/trousers.

gkeeffe

I’m 5’9” on a medium bronson2.  Perfect for me with a 50mm stem and a 170 dropper

iainc

5’10.5” here, 30 inside leg, on a Medium 2017 Anthem 1 and looking at the Stif deal too…. seem to be between M and L….. must resist…

breninbeener

i phoned Stif and they thought an L would be best

zerolight
    Free Member

I’d go large too if I were you. Had same dilemma with my Hightower, albeit L vs XL. I reckon the Large would have felt slightly small, the XL felt slightly big, but I just put a shorter 40mm stem on it. Pretty happy with the fit now.

edit: looks like a cracking deal!

tails
    Free Member

Didn’t realise the OP meant the last edition. Does anyone know if Santa Cruz frames get discounted when they change the colour or only when they change the design.

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

I, 5ft10 1/2 and the large 5010 mk2 is perfect, my 150mm reverb dropper is pretty much as far in the frame it’ll go and saddle height is perfect for me

quality bike and 130mm front and back is plenty and it climbs well too.

cant see me changing mine anytime soon

@tails
    they do drop in price but only a small discount, as a lot of the bikes are on backorder such as the new bronson and 5010 mk3

ubyk have 20% off for Black Friday so maybe consider their otherwise

I bought a heavily discounted chameleon of the Madrid SC dealer on eBay

seller:ltmracing17 , he had the black/yellow cc 2017 5010 frame for £1700 a few months back

dyls

Be careful if you have shorter legs though and upsizing to the next size bike with a dropper post.  If you have long legs then its not soo much an issue.

mark90
    Free Member

I’d want the length of the large but at 5’7″ I’d need the seat tube of the medium with that generation of frame. At least the newer SC frames are coming with seat tube << reach so you can size up.

nuke

I bought a heavily discounted chameleon of the Madrid SC dealer on eBay

Been watching a couple of Hightowers from that seller…good feedback but any idea how it’d work with warranty?

whatyadoinsucka
    Free Member

@nuke, not really sure, I registered mine on Santa Cruz when I got it and uploaded a picture of the receipt/invoice a few days later they confirmed all ok, so presumably I’d deal with jungle direct if any issues.

iainc

I was close, itchy fingers, but on looking at the specs, the geometry and the reviews, I realised that my 2017 Anthem 1 was slightly better specced, esp with current wheels and dropper and I’d be daft to change it for an 18 5010, even as tempting as it looked. I imagine they probably feel similar to ride and thankfully I have saved myself about 2 grand by being sensible 😜😜

breninbeener

iainc….the force is strong in you!

iainc

Beener – only just😀!  The Anthem fits me perfectly and is a cracking bike, and is as new with some recent replacement bits. I suspect the 5010 would be a shade lighter (though Anthem only 26 lb) and maybe stiffer, though Anthem has carbon linkage, and SC has a cooler image. For my ability I doubt I’d notice much difference riding them back to back..

breninbeener

im still agonising…

geex
    Free Member

There’s usually a pretty good guide to this sort of dilemma available in most local librarys

lets hope it’s not been put on a high shelf

facian
    Free Member

I’m 5’8″ and I have a Large 5010 (2017/18 model, not the “new new” model).

I have short-ish legs for my height (I wear 30″ leg trousers) and it’s fine, I was worried because my Medium Whyte was too high on the standover but this feels spot on.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Sizing of Santa Cruz 5010 2018…M or L’ is closed to new replies.