Size curious…

Home Forum Bike Forum Size curious…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Size curious…
  • Premier Icon Kryton57
    Subscriber

What would happen if I put a a 650b or 29er wheel in the front of my Kinesis Versa Decade SS, which has a 29er Exotic carbon 465mm fork on it?

Will the trail come alive?

Actually, no seriously, what are the mechanics of what’ll happen…? And, good or bad?

Premier Icon jairaj
    Subscriber

You will slacken the head angle a little bit and raise the front end and the BB height.

The slack head angle will give you slower but more stable steering when descending.

The higher front end will possibly make the front end pop up more on climbs or might mean you have reduced grip as you can’t get sufficient weight over the front of the bike.

The higher BB height means it won’t turn in as quickly and could be a bit more unstable but you will gain more clearance and less pedal strikes.

To what extent each variable will have on the handling not sure. It might effect it loads, or might be a very subtle change and hardly noticeable.

beefheart

You will die Shirley.

Premier Icon paulosoxo
    Subscriber

Do it to your mates bike and see of they notice. I bet they don’t.

Premier Icon mboy
    Subscriber

With a 650b wheel, assuming the same sized tyre is used, your front end will be raised by 1/2 an inch, and the head angle slackened in the region of half a degree.

With a 29er wheel, assuming the same sized tyre is used, your front end will be raised by about 1 1/4 inches, and the head angle slackened by a degree and a bit.

I know people that have gone from rigid with 465mm forks on a 26″ wheeled bike, to 445mm rigids with a 29er front wheel (thus creating a 69er) and absolutely loved the way it rode. Personally, I just prefer both wheels to be the same size and am happier on a 29er.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Size curious…’ is closed to new replies.