Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • six speed thumb shifters – where from?
  • ji
    Free Member

One of my boys hates the grip shift on his bike, and desperately wants thumbies. Only problem is that I can’t find a SRAM thumb shifter for 6 speed. I don’t really want to change the rear mech as well – any suggestions?

nickc

I though thumb shifters could be run frictionless. It doesn’t matter then, no?

ji
    Free Member

How do you make them frictionless then? Do all types work like this, or just some?

andym
    Free Member

jl

If SRAM don’t do a 6-speed shifter then you may need to go to Shimano and change the rear mech as well (the front mech will be OK):

http://www.ukbikestore.co.uk/Product/97/SLTX50R6/ukbs/shimano-tx50-6-speed-thumb-shifter.html

(though the picture seems to show a 7-speed shifter).

nickc is talking about the thumbshifters sold by SJS that use a Shimano 9-speed bar end shifter which have the option of working in non-indexed mode. An expensive solution for what you want.

hoodoo
    Free Member

ji, I happen to have some 6 speed XT thumbshifters somewhere in my garage. I could look for them if you are interested.

You can still get bikes with 6 speed blocks?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

may have some shimano 6 speed shifters and a mech (its rodie kit though). You can heve them for free if ican find them.

the shifters are the down-tube type so would need the SJS addapters. If/when he grows out of the bike i’d happliy buy them 2nd hand but can’t justify spending money on the ratty commuter.

ji
    Free Member

Hoodoo – I would be grateful if they are going spare – how much did you want for them? The Islabikes Beinn 20 (older model) came with a 6 speed block. The newer model has a 7 speed.

thisisnotaspoon – thanks for the offer – will see if Hoodoo’s will do the job first.

gwaelod
    Free Member

if the bike came from Islabikes then give them a ring and have a chat with them…they may be able to help.

hoodoo
    Free Member

ji, no idea what the price should be, maybe £12 + P&P I’ll find out how much to send it by registered royal mail and let you know.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘six speed thumb shifters – where from?’ is closed to new replies.