Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Sitting in a car with the engine running
  • aracer
    Free Member

How long is it acceptable to do this for?

scotroutes

For however long it takes the windscreen to demist?

Can be a looong time sometimes.

RobHilton
    Free Member

Are you playing banging techno at ear-bleeding volume at the time?

somafunk

Depends on the size of the joint surely?.

aracer
    Free Member

Ok, just to avoid going down that wormhole, arriving somewhere and sitting in the car with the engine running.

p.s. I have a Mondeo 8)

cloudnine
    Free Member

Are you parked outside in the street reading emails before heading off to work?

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

😆

garage-dweller

Edit: end of journey not more than 30 seconds or so.

Edit 2: On current car you get about 2 seconds before the stop start switches it off for you. Quite happy with that.

prettygreenparrot

Put a jumper on. Then you can turn the engine off right away.

Flaperon

10 seconds. Beyond that punishment by being killed to death with a pair of nail clippers from a Christmas cracker.

I can’t stand it. Like littering. Only on a small scale but it’s the blatant disregard for the environment and other people that gets me.

MartynS

The engine powers the kit in the back of the van via an inverter, so hours sometimes…

hh45
    Free Member

I’m with Flaperon – death is too kind to these irritants. and several local authorities have brought in rules to stop this although not much improvement. its just plain selfish and anti social and we need less of that.

aracer
    Free Member

Really? I’ve done trials in a big van with lots of kit powered off an inverter which ran off the battery when stopped. ISTR we had a dedicated battery installed for when we were stopped for long periods.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

I can’t stand it. Like littering. Only on a small scale but owning a car is a blatant disregard for the environment and other people that gets me.

Isn’t flaperon a pilot? If so, I’m sure there are that piloty things upset others. We all do things that annoy other people then, as long as there is no malicious intent, we should all be a little more tolerant.

MartynS

Yep,
    Have the option of battery but it can’t run below about 50% or it seems the battery’s get damaged beyond recovery.
    Everything on, it’s about 2 hours to 50% could be onsite all day with very heavy use so safer to keep battery’s topped
    Up.

TheFlyingOx

The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986, s.98 covers this. No mention of fines or punishment for offenders though, so I’m assuming death isn’t off the cards…

hora
    Free Member

Somafunk you eat Brisket inside your car?

aracer
    Free Member

Fairy nuff – you’re effectively running it as a generator then and I can’t really argue with that. We weren’t generally stopped for more than an hour or so when I was doing things like that.

pistonbroke
    Free Member

Used to work as a mechanic in a much loved producer of carbon road bikes. One day I was told to drop everything to do a cracked frame swap under warranty for a triathlete customer who had driven across from Manchester to wait while it was done. Cue a burly ex rugby league pro with our lightest framed model that looked like it had been through WW3, covered in grime, dried on gel liquid, sweat, the works. I set to swapping all the components, wheels, cables, headset,BB etc. The process took about 11/2 hours and the whole time he was sat on the car park on the phone with the engine of his X5 running, presumably with the aircon on as it was a warm day.

aracer
    Free Member

Dammit, you win pistonbroke.

I’m sure everybody will have realised there was a point to this – sitting in the car watching son play tennis this evening I noticed the car next to me had the engine running. I went to the cafe – was planning on doing that anyway, but at least I didn’t have to put up with noise of engine in there. When I picked son up after an hour the engine was still running – also headlights on.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

One minute over here. Even have laws about it.

Never bloody enforced though.

enfht
    Free Member

Petrol leaf blowers are worse.

twisty

The main concern of authorities is areas where air pollutants exceed European air quality standards. Therefore, they generally focus their efforts on putting up signs/enforcement on major roads where lots of vehicles sit idling together for extended periods due to traffic congestion etc.

People leaving their engine idling away from other traffic, outside their house etc whilst wasteful and not good for the environment is much less harmful to peoples health than the cumulative effect of lots of vehicles idling in close proximity to each other.

Have the option of battery but it can’t run below about 50% or it seems the battery’s get damaged beyond recovery.
    Everything on, it’s about 2 hours to 50% could be onsite all day with very heavy use so safer to keep battery’s topped

Leaving the vehicle engine idling all day is burning up fuel and knackering the engine. Investing in a small inverter generator instead would probably save quite a bit of money in the long run, depending on how how often/long you are using the equipment.
    e.g. http://www.screwfix.com/p/impax-im800i-700w-inverter-generator-230v/15760

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

Long enough to cool the turbo or flush the top end out, depending what I’m driving.

Probably more environmentally friendly than engine rebuilds every 80k.

I do drive old cars though, I would hope the newfangled stop-start jobs are intelligent enough to know when keeping running for 30 secs or so is the best option.

hora
    Free Member

Cars are nothing compared to pollution commercial buildings (aircon etc) pump out. Then there’s the proposed new runways to make us a terminus. Massive pollution there but hey, the Politicians will then just blame cars as it’s an easy target

trail_rat
    Free Member

What Kenneth said .

Nothing worse than burnt oil clogging you turbo oil feed

onehundredthidiot

This year in France an older English couple camped opposite us. He, a retired church minister, would sit in the car with engine running, presumably air con on for up to an hour at least three times a day.

Only slightly more annoying than their rampant xenophobia which, according to an overheard conversation, extended to us uncouth jocks.

glasgowdan
    Free Member

It just makes me think “useless lazy oafs”.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Is there a pipe leading from the exhaust, back inside the car? Hopefully not, as this post might be too late and past the point of acceptable. 😉

gummikuh

There’s a guy who two doors down warms up his impreza every morning around 06:00, for twenty minutes I have to listen to this deep throaty burble sound between two houses that makes me feel sick.
    I often have to pick my daughter up from cadets in an evening and nearly all the parents sit there with the engines running.
    I feel for all the residential houses that have to put up with this nuisance. I feel quite smug taking my Africa bike, she sits on the rear rack, side saddle style.

I do have an issue with waste, we are just wasting precious resource.

bigyinn
    Free Member

If the car has a turbo in it, perhaps 30 secs from coming to a stop, if no turbo, perhaps 10 secs.
    If you sit with the engine on tickover for long periods frequently you risk carboning up the engine and glazing the piston bores.

matt_outandabout

If the car has a turbo in it, perhaps 30 secs from coming to a stop,

Surely that is the gently, over geared, few minute slow into the 30mph zones / car park / residential street?
    The only time I am stationary with engine running is to defrost – but I am also out with scraper.

trail_rat
    Free Member

“Surely that is the gently, over geared, few minute slow into the 30mph zones / car park / residential street?”

Assuming thats where your going.

potentially i could be doing 60 right up to my door…. i dont but i could.

How ever having a boost gauge fitted i can see my turbos working pretty much any time i have the throttle engaged – which having the aerodynamics of the average static caravan is almost always i like to give it 30 seconds of zero work at the end to cool down.

especially with the old stuff – but then people dont do it these days and i hear of alot of turbo failures at early miles these days….. is that causation or is there a link i wonder.

molgrips
    Free Member

Surely that is the gently, over geared, few minute slow into the 30mph zones / car park / residential street?

Yes for many people (the majority perhaps) then yes. Turbo won’t be working at trundle speed. I come down a hill at about 10mph for 30 secs before getting to my drive, that has it covered I think.

matt_outandabout

potentially i could be doing 60 right up to my door…. i dont but i could.

trail_rat
    Free Member

mudshark
    Free Member

Never understood why people do it, so wasteful. I even turn my engine off at a traffic light on the way to work as it’s red for 4 minutes at a time.

captainsasquatch
    Free Member

Yes for many people (the majority perhaps) then yes. Turbo won’t be working at trundle speed. I come down a hill at about 10mph for 30 secs before getting to my drive, that has it covered I think.

I hope that that is in a 10mph zone so as not to unneccesarily hold up other traffic.
    #POV

trail_rat
    Free Member

an overtaking queue will be taking numbers at that speed.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yeah of course, I am so inconsiderate that’s exactly the kind of thing I’d do.

🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Sitting in a car with the engine running’ is closed to new replies.