• This topic has 174 replies, 94 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by j_me.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)
  • Site Updated
  • tomdebruin
    Free Member

As you can see the site has been updated. Have a look round. Have a look at your user profile area. The Classifieds have been split into two – For Sale and Wanted.

Please post any technical problems here. That is things not working, clearly not lined up properly, etc.

Also state which web browser you are using. (if you’re not sure visit http://www.whatbrowser.org first).

woffle
    Free Member

The ‘wanted’ section doesn’t work for me – whether that’s because there aren’t any posts yet I don’t know. Clicking the button just gets me what looks to be a view across all forums (ie same as when I click the topmost banner ‘forum’ button.

Oh, and from a UI point of view some of the buttons aren’t consistent but that’s nit-picking – Edit Post and Preview Post for example. I’m guessing one is a button, styled, the other a link, styled to look like a button. That’d be a theme issue rather than a technical one though…

(Firefox 3.6.8)

Yes, forums->wanted (on the menu bar) doesn’t work. Clicking on Classifieds – Wanted from the list of forums does work.

I like the new look.

psling
    Free Member

Looks fresh.

Getting some double/split drop down box interference when I hover cursor over log-in/profile name tab on Safari. In fact, the drop down box is still there now! The page scrolls visibly behind the log-in bar which is visually a bit distracting.

allthegear
    Free Member

Looks good on iPhone!

Rachel

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Very nice, good work chaps.

wrightyson
    Free Member

+1 for the wanted button taking you to the main forum page! Other than that all good!

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Looking good on my iPhone on the train so far. Will have more of a nose round when in the office on evil ie

Wally

Tarty – I like it. Even the sticky login bar.
    However from my experience most people resist change.

woffle
    Free Member

The page scrolls visibly behind the log-in bar which is visually a bit distracting.

I think that’s intentional – I agree it’s a little distracting – I didn’t realise it was ‘sticky’ until I’d noticed that it was overlapping and looking a little odd when you’ve scrolled down the page a little. Looks better when you’re at the top but less so if you’re half-way down a thread and it’s over some text. Bit of a jumble.

Jamie
    Free Member

Change?!?!?

*runs*

Is their a PM function yet? 😉

Option to choose themes would be nice as not a fan of the current diamond bg.

Bear
    Free Member

wanted button also takes to main forum page

the-muffin-man

Really not keen on the black background either side – seems to jar against the freshness and openness of the rest of the site. Makes the site feel ‘hemmed-in’ especially on my big monitor.

Overall though I like it!

simonralli2
    Free Member

Hi guys

I really don’t want this to be seen as a grand criticism, but I am struggling to read the blue text on a white background. I don’t know if it is just me getting old, but the colour scheme really isn’t working for me.

petefromearth

like the new look!

on my screen the little buttons above where i’m typing now (bold, italic, “quote” etc…) are massive and each one is stretched so it’s the same width as the main column

i’m using IE7 on XP (ducks tomatoes from firefox users)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

To be fran k I think the colour scheme is goppin’. Looks all washed out and cheap. Sorry.

mogrim

Holy Huge Login Screen, Batman!

Doesn’t look bad on Chrome/Ubuntu, and works fine on my Nexus One/Android 2.2.

Edit: not sure about the design, though – the rounded buttons look cheap, and there seems to be a bit of mix between rounded and square. Add in the technicolour Ragly ad, the ST Premier ad, and you’ve got a real colour mishmash going on…

flip
    Free Member

Love it 😉

orena45

on my screen the little buttons above where i’m typing now (bold, italic, “quote” etc…) are massive and each one is stretched so it’s the same width as the main column

Same here on my works PC with IE7.
    Like the new look tho!

gothandy

Really like the new design.

Did notice a lot more advertising, do you remove that if you become a premier user?

Also I personally don’t like the way the dark background builds in chrome. Makes reading page after page in the forum a bit of strain on the old eyes. Any chance you can get a white strip in the background while the page loads?

EDIT: Also like the ASCII art when you view source … nice touch 🙂

gothandy

Another quick one, video player sits a bit to the right in Chrome.

maxray
    Free Member

I’m liking it.. good work guys.

It is funny because the “old guard” don’t like change here but they always seem to manage in the end.

Nice to see you trying to devlop the web offering.

Jamie
    Free Member

After a bit of consideration I am not sure if I am a complete fan of the “revolutionized” new face of stw.

Few tweaks should see it alright tho. As mentioned previously, a light and dark theme option would be awesome-sauce.

ollie
    Free Member

Bloody hell that’s a bit of a shocker this morning, I like it 🙂

titusrider
    Free Member

+ 1 for the black background being too stark on a larger monitor

GrahamS

Looks great on the iPhone. I like the delayed loading of images in a thread. Smart and will hopefully save me some mobile data. 🙂

BTW you forgot to fix the “up to15” spacing 🙂

brant
    Free Member

Tom – that .png file of Matt and the Bike Bag man on the homepage is a bit big and takes ages to load. You can easily zap it down to a 96k .jpg as opposed to it’s current 430kb size.

Or am I missing something?

Jamie
    Free Member

Or am I missing something?

A decent internet connection? 8)

Anyways, this looks a bit naff while loading Tom:

vinnyeh

Tom, how bout a consolidated view of the classifieds, as there is for the bike/chat ones.
    I’m sure a lot of stuff that gets sent in response to wanteds isn’t because people are looking to sell, but becasue they stumble across an ad, and think ‘I’ve got one of those, don’t use it et etc’. Far fewer people browse the wanteds than the for sales, imo.

the-muffin-man

Black blackground looks even worse on my biggerer 24″ glossy monitor at work. Just loads of reflections now in the black areas on the glossy screen which is very distracting.

Can we an an option to switch to a different colour scheme?

Harry_the_Spider

It sort of works on my IE6 at work (bang goes any chance of my career progressing), but if I should be logged out I can’t see a way of logging back in and my user account / Premier stuff has gone too. Oh well.

It looks quite smart on my newer computer at home where everything works.

ebygomm
    Free Member

It’s wordpress! 🙂

I get the IE7 full width buttons issue too.

I miss the “No replies since” bit on the profiles page

Latest discussions doesn’t even make it onto the page when I view on my widescreen laptop at home because there’s so much else above it.

tomdebruin
    Free Member

@brant – you’re missing something.
    IE6 login at bottom of page (the menu bar position isn’t supported by IE6)
    Dark background issues noted. Will most likely just revert back to old white liney one. But people with large monitors, do you really browse with a maximised window?
    IE7 button issues noted, though work on my test machine – will fix over the weekend.

wwaswas

+n on the black background issues – it kind of strobes if you roll down a topic quickly to get to the bottom too.

Other than that looks good and a worthwhile change to make 🙂

tomdebruin
    Free Member

And out of interest, if you’ve got IE7 why not just upgrade to IE8 which is a far superior browser?

the-muffin-man

But people with large monitors, do you really browse with a maximised window?

Not maximised, but my browser window fills a good 2/3rds of the screen. This means a 50-60mm of black either side of the main forum window.

ebygomm
    Free Member

I would imagine a lot of people on IE7 are at work and can’t just upgrade. That’s the case for me anyhow.

It’s looking fine on opera mini, not looked at it on opera 10 yet which is what I use at home

Harry_the_Spider

IE6 login at bottom of page (the menu bar position isn’t supported by IE6)

Wahay!

epicsteve
    Free Member

But people with large monitors, do you really browse with a maximised window?

Yes, always.

Stoner
    Free Member

The wandering grey bar at the top is a pain on Dolphin browser (Android) when scrolling/pinching to zoom/double tap to zoom, it doesnt always know what to do with itself – ends up stuck middle of the screen.

EDIT: Actually its hilarious, it ends up all over the shop.

Apart from a bit of a coding show off, what’s the purpose of it? If I know that stuff is up the top, when I need it (which is not that often) I’ll go and get it.

KISS

EDIT. Have just checked and there’s the same problem with the native browser too.

On Chrome (On my desktop) tabbing between hyperlinks doesnt seem to highlight buttons like “Edit Post”. Some of us who dont use Fisher Price Computers (aka Macs) are able to use a keyboard when navigating you know 😉 )

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 175 total)

The topic ‘Site Updated’ is closed to new replies.