Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Site survey software/hardware
  • stormtrooper
    Free Member

I work for a fitted furniture manufacturer and part of my job entails visiting construction sites (mostly education sector, so new schools, colleges etc) to confirm site dimensions, services, access etc prior to the furniture going into manufacture

I currently do this by taking hard copies of the layouts with me, taking measurements and annotating the layouts. I also take photographs on my phone and mark on the layouts where the photos were taken for future reference. Then, when I get back to the office I scan the annotated layouts and copy the photos from my phone into the project folder

I’m aware there is software available to streamline the whole process (especially for when I’m doing it on my own) but haven’t used any before, so what do you recommend? The company are happy to provide the software and any hardware (iPad?) required

Thanks in advance

Rich

bentandbroken

I used to do site surveys for WiFi. Do not underestimate the importance of the weight of any hardware you have to carry whilst held out in from of you all day. Weight (or lack of) was the number one consideration when purchasing new hardware for the task. In days of old battery life (or the option to swap batteries part way through a day) was the second consideration.

jimdubleyou

Have you got a fancy iPhone? Surely somebody has written/built something using the LiDAR Scanner/AR capabilities?

Aside:

I used to do site surveys for WiFi.

My degree final project was on mini cellular signal propagation. Test kit was heavy as 20 years ago!

joshvegas
    Free Member

If you want a 3d record you will need either a laser scanner or use photogrammetry.

If you just want a better way of measuring and logging the measurements. Leica disto 900ish and a tripod would allow you to set up in one point in a room and target Avery thing you want it logs them and can Bluetooth to an app aswell from memory.. it can also take photos as you measure.

airvent
    Free Member

Bluebeam would be ideal. Allows you to annotate, alter and measure off PDFs on a tablet while on site. I think it was fairly cheap at 150 quid ish.

FuzzyWuzzy

Sounds a good use case for an AR app on an iPad that allows you to add custom objects (your furniture) and then annotate pictures taken through the app later – no idea what one though as I don’t use them…

joshvegas
    Free Member

Actually. Bluebeam is a good shout. I misread the op a bit and if you are just trying to repeat the process you do now digitally it is a good option.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Site survey software/hardware’ is closed to new replies.