Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Sit on top kayaks, what do you wear when you're paddling?
  • colonelwax
    Free Member

Been thinking about buying a SOT or kayak for a bit so had a session today in an estuary then along the coast. I’ve made up my mind and going to get a sit on top.

Wore a wetsuit (and PFD obvs) today, but mostly I’ll be using mine on my local canal and river, and not planning on getting wet.

So a wetsuit would be a good idea for playing in the sea as there’s a good chance of a dunking, but seems overkill for the canal. How wet do you get wearing “normal clothes” in a SOT, worth buying kayak waterprrofs or will normal w/proofs do?

Crell
    Free Member

As my kids spend more time standing on them and using using them as a mobile platform to jump off, a wetsuit comes in handy 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Clothes normally 😆

Depends on Wind/Tide conditions, windy and bumpy then a wetsuit (shortie if warm, longie if cold)

If it’s SUmmer and warm either a thermal rashie or suncream.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    aracer
    Free Member

Depends on the conditions. Personally if it’s warm I wear wetsuit shorts and a short sleeved merino top on the sea. On the river sometimes not even that – I’ve been out in lycra shorts and normal synthetic short sleeved top. If it’s colder and rougher on the sea and I’m going to get quite wet then I’ll wear a cag and maybe a long sleeved base layer.

Of course mine isn’t the normal SOT and I probably go out on the sea in rougher conditions than most, but also possibly stay drier on the river than a lot of people paddling SOTs (I’m not throwing water about!)

kayak23

Wetsuits, as you say, are designed to work when you are immersed. Otherwise, you are better off wearing some good synthetic base layers and a windproof.

Semi dry top, it’ll keep you dry and protected from the wind but doesn’t have uncomfortable latex neck and arm/wrist seals like a full dry cag.

A sea kayaking cag might be a good idea too, again, usually without the latex neck seal.

colonelwax
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips (especially “clothes” bikebouy!)

To be honest I’m wondering how wet my arse is going to be in a SOT pootling along a river/canal. I’ve paddled normal kayaks with a spraydeck just wearing boardshorts or thermals.

aracer
    Free Member

Depends how much water you throw about and whether there are drains in the seat which let water in. I don’t and mine doesn’t, hence I wear similar clothes to what I wear in a kayak on the river (an open cockpit one, usually without a spraydeck).

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

My boat has seat drains so I get a wet arse whatever. On cooler days I’ve used waterproof cycling shorts, unlined waterproof motorbike overtrousers or a thin shortie wetsuit that was £20 or so from decathlon, all with success.

edhornby

if you do wear a wetsuit, wear a cheap pair of boardshords over them to stop the backside getting friction holes

matt_outandabout

As above, wet bum through splashes/drains gets you wet.

I have worn waterproof cycling shorts or my Nookie baggy paddling shorts (that have padded bum and waterproof).

Lots of wicking Base Layer and fleece with spray top or waterproof jacket.

Think “what dries quickly” rather than “what keeps me dry” for any paddling IME.

aracer
    Free Member

Or better “what will I be comfortable in when wet”

scotroutes

Most SOTs have optional bungs that will prevent the drains from letting water in. They are fine to use on still water where self-bailing isn’t necessary.

If you are an untidy paddler then you might still get splashed. I find it worse in a tandem (when at the back).

Wetsuits are great if you are larking about in and out of the water. Other than that, something quick drying will help though waterproof shorts are a good call.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Breathable spray tops ar Ok, but if you are putting in some effort then they’ll get hot and sticky and make you feel like a boil in the bag Chicken.
    Wetsuits are indeed made to “get wet” before they work “properly” but they are very flexiable and if you do dunk it, you’ll be warm enough afterwards.
    On yer arse, we’ll I have know some Dinghy mates use a small foam pads between thier bottom and the side deck (Finn sailors especially) but promerrily thats for grip. You could get an off cut of wetsuit and glue it to the deck, that may help, it’ll look rubbish unless done propers like, but it’s an option. You’ll not take away the “soggy bottom” predicament, part of the game I’m afraid.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Sit on top kayaks, what do you wear when you're paddling?’ is closed to new replies.