sissy post

Home Forum Bike Forum sissy post

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • sissy post
  • darkcyan

badgered into buying a dropper post.

what will I now be able to do I couldn’t before.

no rudeness please!

legend

drop it like it’s hot

darkcyan

may well be;-)

Premier Icon AlexSimon
    Subscriber

Go and watch that youtube video of Danny Heart winning the World Champs.
    That bit where the bike slides one way then the other under him down a chute.
    There is now nothing stopping you from riding like that apart from your skill.

jekkyl

You’ll be able to roll gently into tech downhill sections without stopping to ‘undo Qr, lower seat, fasten Qr’ and you know you’ll be like 400% cooler.
    What did you expect?

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

You’ll be able to sit down on those short climbs in the middle of descent sections that used to be a pain. Forget about dropper posts, lifter posts are what it’s alllll about

Not hold me up on the singletrack? 😛

darkcyan

yes, definitely expect to be 400% cooler, faster, and ride like danny hart.

chief groove rider, i’ll try not too;-) . BIg Dog?

godzilla

Bitch about your broken dropper?

batfink

You’ll discover how much you relied on stopping (to adjust saddle height) for a rest.

as per NW, for me it was more about climbing – being able to put your seat UP for climbs (without stopping) made the biggest difference

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

Bitch about your broken dropper?

😆

darkcyan

Gonna bitch like hell when it goes wrong, which it will. Especially as buying off my riding buddy!

Somehow it just seems wrong to have that much tech in a seat post.

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

darkcyan – Member

Should have got a gravity dropper! About as high tech as a horse-shoe.

Premier Icon shortcut
    Subscriber

With a dropper post you will become another one of those people with surplus levers on the bars, cables or hoses on frame and the belief that it makes them a much better rider.

darkcyan

hmmmmm, my ludite heart is aching just at the thought of it. nb looks wrong on a hardtail, like an air foul on a mini metro!

With a dropper post you will become another one of those people with surplus levers on the bars, cables or hoses on frame and the belief that it makes them a much better rider.

Definition of surplus: adjective; – more than what is needed, or used – excess.

I have 5 levers on my bars including brakes – all of ’em get used and the dropper remote is one of the more frequently used ones.

I have no belief that it makes me a better rider, just the belief knowledge that it makes my rides a damn sight better/more fun/flowing and means my body can always be at the optimum position on my bike. As important on a modern bike as suspension and disc brakes – FACT.

Anyone who bangs on otherwise is a luddite with their head in the sand.

You can use the saved time at the top of descents to moan at your mates for not having dropper posts!

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber

shortcut – Member

I think on average I have the average amount of cables and hoses, am I awesome or not?

It makes you more enduro 🙄

Premier Icon Northwind
    Subscriber
    darkcyan

they are so enduro;-)

darkcyan

gonna get some enduro clothes too from primark!

Dude you are sooo enduro I take my googles off to you 😉

TimP

Like ChiefGG I pray to god it doesn’t make you any slower

darkcyan

get back on your cx bike, wrong forum for roadies timp.

TimP

Awwww you have been missing me haven’t you?
    Off to Ireland this weekend but fingers crossed I will be out to taunt you the week after

Premier Icon JoeG
    Subscriber

darkcyan – Member

get back on your cx bike, wrong forum for roadies timp.

Only if you have a new KC Lev Carbon dropper! Only 65 mm drop, bud made for CX. http://singletrackworld.com/2013/11/remember-that-ks-lev-carbon-dropper/ 8)

darkcyan

timp my dropper will b so enduro you wont b near enough to roll out the wise cracks!;-)

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

badgered into buying a dropper post.

. 😀

chiefgrooveguru – Member
    Not hold me up on the singletrack?

😆 😆 😆

Gonna bitch like hell when it goes wrong, which it will. Especially as buying off my riding buddy!

… You can put it on EBay then for £250 “mates rates” Darkcyan. Sold as seen 😉

…didn’t the high tech bits of your Boredman seatpost explode when you gate crashed that CX race on your hardtail Darkcyan?? 😉

darkcyan
    Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

LOL 😆

You’re right they’re not for everyone Darkcyan, and they are another piece of kit that could potentially go wrong, but that’s the same for every part on a bike. It took me a journey to eventually settle on advantages of using a dropper post. The original Crank Bros Joplin I had I just never warmed to, perhaps due to the under-saddle lever which was risky at best to use as you were hurtling towards a drop, but more so because I just couldn’t understand the benefits. Again the Reverb took me awhile to get but it has been faultless through all riding conditions and I now won’t be without it. The bar mounted remote is lever fantastic.

For me the benefits are more about being able to raise the post than drop it; I’ve always run my seatpost around middle ish height, i.e. sacrifice some climbing benefits to have my saddle a little lower and not in the way when I move around on the bike. The dropper post enables me to run the full extended height at maximum climbing efficiency XC stylee and gives me the ability to drop it a couple of inches for the local twisty stuff when I want to lean the bike more. I only drop the post fully on the steep downhills which are very short on our local terrain but the post being that low is very confidence inspiring nonetheless. On weekends away to Wales etc these benefits are amplified even further as the descents and climbs are much longer.

They’re another expensive bit of tech on your bike as you say, but unlike many other new developments which drop weight, or make your bike more efficient, I believe a dropper post changes the way you ride, and rather than being a “sissy-post” will more likely help you to ride difficult trails / sections more comfortably and confidently, hopefully with more flow 😉

Have a read of this for others views:-

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/dropper-seat-posts-are-they-worth-the-200

Paceman

darkcyan

cheers paceman, far more constructive than timp, as predicted;-)

Premier Icon Paceman
    Subscriber

It’s the future Darkcyan… even The Horse has a dropper post on his MTB and he’s a full-on roadie. 😉

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘sissy post’ is closed to new replies.