SIS gels – leaking packs?

Home Forum Bike Forum SIS gels – leaking packs?

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • SIS gels – leaking packs?
  • Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Had some problems with leaky SIS gel packets (over half in a box, unopened, given a squeeze, they leaked) from two different batches. Used them for years without any problems but a bit hesitant to order a new box. Anyone else had any problems? This common?

MTB Rob

I don’t use SIS (I use torq) but one of the teams I worked with last year had some issues with SIS leaking all over the place through out the year, very mess!

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

i’ve got half a box which i’ve not used cos they leak if you look at them. The unleaky ones have fluid kind of leaking at the seams but not actually out of the packet, and they seem to self implode inside a camelback or jersey without much trouble.

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Nickdavies, exactly the same experience here. They actually seem to leak between an inner and outer layer, then out the seams. Sent photos back to SIS but they didn’t seem too bothered. Guessing it’s a known problem. Shame really as I like the SIS gels as they work well without water.

Bit of a pain too when they leak in the camelback or jersey pocket 🙁

Edit…

Looks like this… (You can see the bubbles in the gel between the inner and outer packaging.)

… then leaks out the seams.

Premier Icon on and on
    Subscriber

In a store recently I saw a bunch in the box like this so didn’t buy them.
    Instead I went for torq rubabr and cusrard . Yum 🙂

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Don’t really like the torq ones, too sickly and need to be taken with water. Any other recommendations? Like SiS but without the dodgy packaging please 🙂

baznav73

we stock them and never had a problem, will check stock more closely tomorrow.

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

A gentle squeeze should do it if it’s got the same sort of defect.

Kuco

I had some High5 energy gels that leaked 🙁

Premier Icon nickdavies
    Subscriber

^^^^ That’s exactly how mine look.

Premier Icon Haze
    Subscriber

Yep, my last lot had a few leaky ones.

Just had a scan over my new box and they seem fine.

clubber

Seems that this was tempting fate

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/healthandfitness/536350/inside-the-sis-factory-the-production-line.html

The original article made a fair bit of mention of their burst testing to avoid the situations above…

FunkyDunc

OP – What did SIS say when you contacted them?

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Not much really. Just asked that I sent some photos. They said they’d send a replacement batch but i was a bit surprised when I only got 5 new ones to replace my box of 30! Couldn’t be bothered chasing it up though.

Edit: … and of the new ones they sent me most of them leaked!

I too have had several leaky gel packs, in the bottom of my kit bag. tedious!

SIS seem to have lost their way a bit since being bought out by the money men the other year. Was a small family owned company with a load of good people working there that cared. I have had several orders recently that were wrong, over charged, missing items. contacted them but no one seemed to care all that much.

edward2000

My SIS gels also fell apart when I looked at them. I was also gifted an SIS water bottle at Christmas. It’d seems like you need to be able to suck a golf ball through a hosepipe to get any liquid out of it.

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Is a shame. Been using them for years without any problems. May give their gels one more go but any more leaks and I’m out.

stanleigh

Could have just been a dodgy batch.

I went through a patch about 6 months ago with SIS Gels leaking in my shorts pockets ( ugh ! ).

Touch wood , no problems since.

Premier Icon mrblobby
    Subscriber

Yeah could have been a dodgy batch, but the fact that the packs they sent as replacement for the ones that leaked also leaked… well it’s not encouraging. And if it was a known dodgy batch to SIS they didn’t really make much of an effort when it came to sorting it out. Shall get another small batch and see how it goes.

turbo1397

I bought a box on special a while ago from sports pursuit. Most of them leaked, I had taken them abroad and thought it might have been the pressure in plane.. but seems from this thread that its a common problem

nicolaisam

Had 1 box at work like this, Was the Sis Blackcurrant ones,about 10 in the box were leaking

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘SIS gels – leaking packs?’ is closed to new replies.