Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • Sirloin steak – cooking tips!
  • Premier Icon mactheknife
    Free Member

Got 2 cracking steaks from the butcher today but to be honest im usually a chuck them in the frying pan for 2 minutes kinda guy. But its a shame not to give these the full treatment.

Marinade?? how long etc.

What ideas have u got??

Premier Icon Drac

No marinade, keep them out of the fridge and season heavily a few minutes before you cook them to your liking. If it needs a sauce or marinade it’s shit steak.

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Free Member

Cool, easy peasy 🙂

Premier Icon CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

No marinade, keep them out of the fridge and season heavily a few minutes before you cook them to your liking. rare. Anything else is a waste of good cow!

If it needs a sauce or marinade it’s shit steak.

This is true, however. Also, rather interesting to see that the word shit is apparently not on the swear filter. That’s a bit shit if anyone’s ever had a warning for using shit in the past. It might make them feel shit about it. 😉

Premier Icon hugor
    Free Member

Really hot buttered pan. Flip once only. Cracked sea salt after cooked.

Premier Icon theotherjonv

cook it Heston style. It really works……

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/inspire-me-meal-ideas-for-fillet-steak

Free Member

Flip once regularly while coking to ensure it’s evenly cooked only.

Good call on the salt, though. Nom. Nom. Nom.

Premier Icon Rusty Mac

When i cook steaks i put oil, salt and pepper on the steaks and leave them to sit on a plate and get to room temperature. I will then get the griddle pan as hot as i can then cook as required.

Premier Icon mactheknife
    Free Member

Cheers theotherjonv, great thread. So many ideas 🙂

Premier Icon highclimber
    Free Member

Make sure it#s room temp before you cook it. season heat pan with oil and nob of butter, cook evenly on both sides until the desired style. done.

Premier Icon boxfish
    Free Member

Don’t forget to let it rest after cooking 😉

Premier Icon steveoath
    Free Member

Sear on both sides then bang it in the oven under tin foil.

Dribbly good!

Premier Icon geoffj

water bath + blow torch

sous-vide

Premier Icon leffeboy

season heavily a few minutes before you cook

Drac has it. You can also use way much more salt than you imagine as long as you don’t do it too far in advance.

Premier Icon curtisthecat
    Free Member

As above, season with lots of salt and pepper a room temperature steak. Get griddle/fry pan red hot(and I mean RED HOT!) With a pair of tongs, sear the fat side for a few minutes to get some colour then place the steaks face down on the griddle for about 2 minutes per side(depending on thickness/level of doneness) Flip and repeat. When done take off and rest(the steaks, not you :D) while you finish cooking your chips etc. Nom nom

Premier Icon jamj1974

No steak needs a sauce or marinade! But a good sauce makes excellence even better! Don’t oil the pan – rub the steak with oil and place on a non-stick griddle or in a non-stick pan.

Premier Icon jamj1974

Oh and season really well before cooking!

Premier Icon BigJohn

Crush a load of peppercorns and press them into the steak before cooking.

Fry in a mix of butter & oil

Take out & let rest. Deglaze pan with favourite spirit or wine. Stir in double cream. Voila – Steak au Poivre.

Premier Icon glupton1976
    Free Member

CFH – you have disappointed me. No flaming of sirloin steak? No suggestions that it’s peasants food and no suggestions for fillet steak. Recession biting hard?

Free Member

Glupton, men eat sirloin. Fillet is for the ladies. 😉

Premier Icon glupton1976
    Free Member

CFH – You’ve changed.

Premier Icon NZCol
    Free Member

No to pepper, it burns in a hot pan. Get to room temp, season with salt and pan fry to your desired state. Rest and season.

Free Member

Nope. Always been a sirloin man.

Bought here, preferably.

As I did this weekend. Multo-nommage!

Premier Icon glupton1976
    Free Member

See – that there exposes a lie. I once posted a thread saying how much I’d enjoyed a big dirty sirloin steak that i’d had. Your response included all of the things I mentioned above.

tut tut tut.

Premier Icon smiffy
    Free Member

Only turn once, cook the fat first then the presentation side, then turn.

pan very hot and dry, steak oiled.

rest on a warm plate for the same amount of time as cooking.

learn the done-ness test; place your first finger gently against the tip of your thumb and press the pad at the bottom of your thumb – that’s rare. repeat with the other fingers and feel it going up the scale.

Don’t be told how to HAVE your steak; but considered opinion does SUGGEST the best for flavour. for sir loin I like the contrasts of char outside through to rare within.

Premier Icon hugor
    Free Member

I’m a firm believer in one flip.
    You’ve just got to be confident, get the timing right, and commit. Flip too early and you risk multiple flips resulting in a dried out old leather boot piece of meat.
    Definitely no salting until after its cooked or you’ll draw the moisture out of the steak again resulting in leather boot syndrome.

Premier Icon mefty
    Free Member

Robinson’s are good but he is very expensive these days, I remember when he was no more expensive than the other local butchers and he still uses the same wholesaler as some of them.

Raymond Blanc’s mums recipe is the simplest and is essentially what most are trying to do, plus deglazing to create a jus.

Premier Icon fatsimon mk2
    Free Member

steak out of fridge bring up to room temp lightly oil(extra virgin olive oil) salt and pepper bring good quality griddle pan up to VERY high temp cook steak to prefered state turn once only allow to rest serve with good chips and salad(rocket) 😀

p.s. good red wine is a plus point 😀 8)

Premier Icon rkk01
    Free Member

Yep, hot griddle… Sear fat side first then a minute or two per side.

Not normally a man to advocate steak + sauce / marinade, but some of my best efforts have sat in a bowl of teriyaki for an hour or two.

Only thing to beat the hot, hot griddle is a proper charcoal BBQ. Not briquettes or , heaven forbid, gas. Something about steak, lightly teased by glowing orange charcoal embers….

Premier Icon rkk01
    Free Member

Oh, and don’t bother with that overrated Aberdeen Angus. Very little to compete with Welsh Black, for flavour and tenderness….

Premier Icon molgrips
    Free Member

chuck them in the frying pan for 2 minutes kinda guy

That’s the best way!

Really smoking hot pan, then a few minutes each side. Extreme heat is the key – the crispy black bits on the outside are just amazing, and if it’s hot enough you can get this with the inside still soft and juicy… mmm..

A lid for the pan helps though otherwise you smoke out your house.

Premier Icon tomhoward

Rkk speaketh sense re welsh black beef, best steak I ever had!

Premier Icon mefty
    Free Member

Should not waste extra virgin olive oil on something you are going to cook, the impurities in it cause a lower smoking point.

Premier Icon DougD
    Free Member

preheat the oven to about 180, get a dry frying pan really hot, oil the room temp steaks with an oil with a high smoke point – e.g. groundnut oil, don’t use extra virgin olive oil, season with a bit of salt and pepper just before putting in the pan, sear it on one side then flip, chuck in a bit of butter then put straight in the oven for a couple of minutes. done.

Premier Icon trout
    Free Member

I sometimes do mine in the wood burner .
    when the wood has gone down to glowing embers steak in one of those mesh fish bbq holders and into the stove couple of mins and its done to my liking pretty intense heat in there crisps up the fat too .

Premier Icon colournoise

Agree with many posts here already.

EDIT – I like my steak rare or even blue – if you want to (subjectively) ruin yours by cooking for longer use a less hot pan or finish in the oven as mentioned below.

Bring steak up to room temperature before cooking.
    I personally trim off any ‘edge’ fat before cooking.
    Searing hot pan (I use a cast iron skillet rather than a griddle pan).
    Oil (with a flavourless oil), salt and pepper on steak just before cooking.
    Into the pan for 2 or 3 minutes depending on thickness of steak (nothing worse than a steak that is cold in the middle).
    Flip once and cook for slightly less time on the other side.
    Rest for at least as long as you cooked it for.
    Lightly season again and serve with wedges, salad and fried mushrooms.
    If you’re not making a sauce, pour any resting juices over the steak once served.

Only thing I take issue with is the choice of Sirloin. Rib-eye every time for me.

slainte 😀 rob

Premier Icon Ramsey Neil
    Free Member

Why the insistence on such a hot pan . Great if you want it blue but if you want it medium or more then it will be charcoal on the outside before it is cooked on the inside .

Premier Icon DougD
    Free Member

good caramelisation with hot pan, then oven cook once sealed to cook through at a more even temp to your preference.

Premier Icon grum
    Free Member

Why the insistence on such a hot pan . Great if you want it blue but if you want it medium or more

Because you don’t want it medium or more. How very dare you!

Premier Icon montylikesbeer

As has probably been said, steaks at room temp.

Then season steak, lightly oil , then into a smoking pan.

3 mins then flip , then 3 , remove and rest for 7 mins.

Works for me

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘Sirloin steak – cooking tips!’ is closed to new replies.