Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Siri – swearing at it doesn't help
  • Woody
    Free Member

Err ………got annoyed when it kept referring to ‘stuff’ in N. America (doesn’t seem to understand ‘North England’ or ‘non-american’ english) and called it a stupid american m…..f…… shit system several times.

All the damn thing seems to be capable of replying is NOW NOW !!!

Is that the best they can come up with?

headfirst
    Free Member

HTC Desire FTW 😉

Woody
    Free Member

I just find it really irritating most of the time. Must be my accent 👿

transporter13
    Free Member

I expect that in a few months there will be an update that will allow us to use it for european stuff

If that does happen then it will be a brilliant tool

Drac

Work pretty good for me but there was an issue with Scottish accents, so guess what Woddy? 😀

http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/Article.aspx/2493045

CountZero

It’s a Beta. Microsoft have been selling OS in Beta form for years and seem to have gotten away with it, and
    this is free. 😈
    In fact, the voice command part isn’t strictly speaking Siri, it’s Dragon Dictation licenced by Apple and tweaked to run with Siri, Siri is the AI assistant ‘ware that Apple actually bought outright.

CaptJon
    Free Member

mine works fine, but i don’t use it.

Woody
    Free Member

Bah! Thought as much Drac.

From the article
    “The Speakin’ Scottish software teaches people how to pronounce common Scots words such as neeps, tatties, loch and kilt.

How many different ways could you pronounce neeps and tatties FFS ?

CountZero

Bit more Siri background:

“For a half-century, the concept of communicating with computers as effortlessly as we do with each other has remained as illusive as it is captivating,” Steve Tobak reports for CBS News. “That is, until October of this year, when the technology that will change our lives in ways we’ve always dreamed somehow managed to sneak under the radar in a smartphone upgrade.”
    Tobak reports, “That technology is Siri, the eerily human-sounding interface in the iPhone 4S. Apple calls Siri ‘The intelligent assistant that helps you get things done. All you have to do is ask.’ Beneath that innocent-sounding marketing blurb, however, is a remarkable innovation that took two dozen of America’s greatest research institutions more than 40 years to develop. The current version of Siri represents the first stage of a breakthrough in the field of artificial intelligence — the study and design of intelligent systems that perceive and act on their environment.”

“Siri’s technology represents decades of combined research on artificial intelligence from more than 20 universities, including Carnegie Mellon, Harvard, MIT, Stanford and Yale,” Tobak reports. “It’s a spinoff of SRI’s Cognitive Assistant that Learns and Organizes (CALO) project that was originally funded by the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) under its Perceptive Assistant that Learns (PAL) program.”

I_Ache
    Free Member

How many different ways could you pronounce neeps and tatties FFS ?

How about Turnip and Potato?

Woody
    Free Member

Pronounce, not translate 🙄

organic355
    Free Member

there have been other devices that dont work with Scottish accents too:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFcZIY-t1bc[/video]

Woody
    Free Member

😆

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Siri – swearing at it doesn't help’ is closed to new replies.