• This topic has 57 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by nikk.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • Siren sounds, big wave coming,..where would you ride to?
  • Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

would it be to your local favorite singletrack for one last blast before you are taken…?

or try and escape to the nearest high ground….?

lets say we have 2 hours before it hits…

and what bike for survival?

shoot…

dingabell
    Free Member

Holmbury. Would do the fun bits then over to Leith Hill for a bit of cake at the tower while I watch the countryside being decimated below me. Or I’d rush home and get my surfboard.

VanHalen

Given I live on top of a hill I’d just nip down the garden for a few laps of the pump track then sit on my balcony with beer in hand and watch the carnage unfold. Or maybe fix the hole in my dinghy.

Stoner
    Free Member

I live at the foot of the Malverns, when the klaxon goes off Id head en famille to the Hills Hotel Bar and make the best of it.

I’d pack a lido.

Northwind

It’s going to have to be a very big wave.

ska-49
    Free Member

Hmm. It’s unbelievably flat here. Think I’d just go for a rider in my boardies and leave the surfboard on route. I’d be on the fat bike 8)

Rorschach
    Free Member

I’d Stop in bed….the village is at 300m above sea level.

boxfish
    Free Member

I’d head up to Beacon Batch with a flagon of scrumpy and some sandwiches.

Drac

Home.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I’m in brum on a hill… Pretty safe from a tidal wave I reckon.

Toasty

I’d disassemble my old Stumpjumper and get all of my friends and family into my old “FSA Pig” headset. Whatever the emergency I’m sure it would survive it.

matt_outandabout

It’s going to have to be a very big wave.

jivehoneyjive
    Free Member

I was intending to post a comical video of the Wavey Davey from Vic Reeves Big Night Out, but you’d have to watch a whole episode to get there.

In the meantime, I discovered Wavey Davey is quite something else in the age of Youtube!!

I have henceforth retreated to high ground!!

paladin

I’d cycle to harbour and jump aboard my lobster boat

Tom-B
    Free Member

In all honesty I’d probably just stay in bed and have sex.

scotroutes

I’ll throw a lifebelt out of my window on your way past.

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

i would be a stickler for survival, reckon i could make it to the Long Mynd in time, they are a fair height, probably take the racer as avoiding scrotes looking for a quicker ride would be everywhere

unknown
    Free Member

Last year in a coastal city in Chile, the wife and I were walking along the beach and the dirty great tsunami alarm went off. There are signs all over the shop showing you were to go (up, and away from the water) but no one else was panicking. Turns out they test it at that time every Wednesday…

yunki
    Free Member

I live below sea level less than a mile from the shore so I’d be heading for the high ground sharpish

warton
    Free Member

doesn’t it take more than two hours to inflate the doll?

Moe

Hmmmm, living pretty much central East Anglia, bit limited for choice! I’m with Tom B ….. eeek! no, no! In my bed with my wife!… I mean 😳

scotroutes

Currently 195m above sea level here.

molgrips
    Free Member

My favourite singletrack is all up hills, so I’d do both.

Mal-ec
    Free Member

Take the fatty ride the coastal path then hop on to my board for free ride home.

andyl
    Free Member

time the money shot for when the wave hits 😀

Depending on time I’d either head up to the old fort just up the road (one of the highest points around here) or I’d head up to Crooks Peak as it’s got much more height difference than the surrounding land and nearer to the coast so I’d get a fantastic view of the wave coming ashore.

Would make sure I had plenty of gravy bones for the dog too so as we may be up there for a while.

Tom-B
    Free Member

Shut up Moe you’ll get people talking!!

bruneep

56M above sea level,will I be ok?

houndlegs
    Free Member

I’d head the same direction as the wave but try to go a smidge faster. They don’t go much faster than 13 mph do they 😀

fr0sty125
    Free Member

I would ride into south peaks I think.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

What fat bike tyres for apocolyptic wave?

trevron73
    Free Member

I live on the beach in East sussex about 3 meters above sea level? so i would get on ape tube and crack a few off the wrist.

ragger
    Free Member

Ride to Arthurs seat and watch the world burn…..MUHAHAHA

hot_fiat

Hmm at 4m above sea level if I couldn’t be with the family, I’d go to the beach (its 1/2 a mile away) with the longboard, paddle out and wait for the great leveller. would probably end up over the falls but it’d be good to try.

Otherwise it’s me, heavily pregnant o/h and the dog onto the KTM and off up to deadwater fell above kielder with a tent.

Tbh you’d probably not want to survive at all: if cholera and dysentery didn’t get you in the months after, fallout from our coastal nuclear installations going haywire will.

Northwind

ragger – Member

Ride to Arthurs seat and watch the world burn…..MUHAHAHA

Til the big wave puts it out

deadkenny
    Free Member

I’m 80ft above sea level anyway as is the surrounding land and it only goes upwards into the Surrey Hills up to 900ft-ish. Would be like riding on a cliff top with a view over the sea to the south, and maybe the south downs as an island.

Pretty much how it would have been however many millions of years ago. Just look at a terrain map and you can see the North Downs and Surrey Hills are a sea cliff, or the edge of a glacier.

andrewh
    Free Member

I live in Lincolnshire. I’m screwed.

JoeG
    Free Member

I live near Pittsburgh (dot to the left of “PA” on the map). That would be a really big wave! 😯

Edit – at 1000+ ft elevation with higher mountains to the east as well.

timidwheeler

I’m currently on top of a small hill in Oxford. About 65 miles from the sea. I think I would stay in bed and turn the radio on.

timidwheeler

Thinking about it, I’m fairly sure Oxford doesn’t have a tsunami warning system. Maybe I should write to the council and suggest it.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Maybe I should write to the council and suggest it.

LOL! Please do this! And post their replies here.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘Siren sounds, big wave coming,..where would you ride to?’ is closed to new replies.