Viewing 40 posts - 15,121 through 15,160 (of 16,027 total)
  • Sir! Keir! Starmer!
  • chewkw
    Free Member

There isn’t one type of inflation, and this inflation is mostly driven by supply-side. Not demand

Pandemic, sanctions and grain shortages.

ernielynch
    Free Member

Saw this gem today from Austin.

Ian Austin is truly remarkable. His ability to twist the truth and tell downright lies is quite exceptional, which presumably is why the Daily Mail pay him to write for them:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-10928651/IAN-AUSTIN-quitting-best-thing-Sir-Keir-help-Labour.html

In that ^^ article he makes the claim that Keir Starmer is a bit of a lefty who can’t be trusted, is it any wonder that he had a problem with Corbyn?

But for me the scary thing is how he was allowed to remain in the Labour Party and have the Labour whip right up until the day that he himself decided to leave the party, for which the Tories rewarded him with a peerage.

It would appear that it is impossible to be too right-wing for today’s Labour Party, it simply won’t get you thrown out. But God help you if you have any left-wing views which the current leader doesn’t approve of.

kelvin

Same as Kate Hoey. Both with lovely new Jobs for life from Boris Johnson. Brexit dividends.

rone

There is something particularly grating for me about Austin. I suppose it was what Ernie says – he was allowed to act like that.

Why on earth did he ever join the Labour party? His values are so confused – he doesn’t have a sparkling record on expenses either. He also had that oddball ‘mainstream’ party.

And like John Mann – Austin’s attitude towards removing anti-Semitism from the party was so hysterical and way ahead of anything else you might campaign for such as poverty or Islamaphobia for arguments sake.

Also like John Mann he got a peerage from the Tories.

(John Mann’s missus Jo White is standing for candidate in Bassetlaw and she’s making all the right noises for me as far as it goes. But I can’t get past the relationship with Mann!)

I even quite like the slogan Traditional Values in a Modern Bassetlaw as long as traditional values doesn’t mean chasing out foreigners with a pitchfork.

But I would take anything – anything over Brendan-Clarke-Cock-Smith at the moment. Anything, a lamp post?

rone

BBC News – UK government debt on unsustainable path unless taxes hiked, says OBR
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-62079052

The OBR need chucking in a bin. They’re an utter menace. Government spending needs to increase, not taxation. The economy is not overheating so there is no logic to tax more.

Which bit about government debt is unsustainable?

(This is not the same as recognising there are huge problems with the economy looming.)

rone

Interesting US inflation summary.

Revisiting Peak Inflation

ernielynch
    Free Member

three major drivers of inflation — Automobiles, Homes & Wages

I know nothing about the US economy but is it surprising that they might have had issues if they are still driving automobiles? They need to ditch the starting handles and start driving modern cars!

And the article claims that an increasing number of layoffs suggests a reduced ability to demand higher wages. So we are presumably back to cutting people’s purchasing power to tackle both demand and business costs.

Unless of course “a reduced ability to demand higher wages” refers to a reduced ability to demand wages higher than the rate of inflation, the article doesn’t specify, which isn’t particularly helpful.

rone

I know nothing about the US economy but is it surprising that they might have had issues if they are still driving automobiles? They need to ditch the starting handles and start driving modern cars!

Well yeah and they sold off all the rental stock too in the pandemic.

rone

Unless of course “a reduced ability to demand higher wages” refers to a reduced ability to demand wages higher than the rate of inflation, the article doesn’t specify, which isn’t particularly helpful.

I think wages (especially very high wages) do play a part in inflation just not a huge factor for the current type of inflation.

I just think it’s an observation that the down turn in the economy and poorly paid jobs will of course play it’s part in taking demand away.

kelvin

Starmer and Rayner not fined. Still, expect false equivalency with Johnson on a few front pages tomorrow.

martinhutch

Full statement from Durham Police here:

welshfarmer

Good.

Houns

Ha!

rone

That’s pretty impeccable timing!

kimbers

Oh my goodness

Just for the pure incandescent rage that Johnson, Dories, that prick of a Durhma MP, all teh Daily Mail hacks etc will be feeling

martinhutch

Good week for Paul Dacre so far. Boris ousted, no fine for Sir Kier, Mail article on Harry deemed defamatory by a judge. Thoughts and prayers, hope his peerage is still going to be OK.

kelvin

that prick of a Durham MP

Richard Holden

kelvin

This bit of fluff and nonsense properly tickled me…

chakaping
    Free Member

Well I’m sure it’s the correct decision, I’m just slightly disappointed that it hasn’t created the perfect opportunity for a change of leadership in parallel with the Tories.

rone

So looks like they’re pushing for VONC in the government next week. It’s going to take a while for me to process that.

Won’t the Tories just jump to?

kimbers

So looks like they’re pushing for VONC in the government next week. It’s going to take a while for me to process that.

Won’t the Tories just jump to?

Now they have to either back Johnson- which looks deeply hypocritical and a lot of MPs still furious with him, or risk a GE if they cant form an alternatvie government, ie get rid of Johnson

rone

I don’t think they care about looking deeply hypocritical would be my hunch.

They will just say party above Boris.

Or perhaps they will totally unload.

Who the hell knows?

Pieface

They could put anyone up as leader and the idiots will vote them back in

kimbers

I don’t think they care about looking deeply hypocritical, unless they just want to totally unload.

I think its just going to play on the splits in the party

and there is a chance it could see Johnson out sooner, which would be better for the country

rone

Could Johnson pull a fast one and call a general election first?

Given he’s going down what’s the precedent here? He’s smug enough to go to the electorate. Avoid the VONC?

ernielynch
    Free Member

Could Johnson pull a fast one and call a general election first?

The Queen could legal block the request under the ‘dissolution principles” :

A government document called “dissolution principles” sets out the requirements under which the PM can ask the Queen for an early election, including:

The PM maintains support as the leader of the government
    The Queen should not be drawn into party politics

It could be quite easily argued that Johnson was in breach of those two principles.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-62064552

frankconway

Refer to the Lascelles Principles which detail the circumstances under which the monarch can reject a PM’s request to hold a GE.
    The principles didn’t apply while the fixed term parliament act was in effect but, since it’s repeal, there has been a presumption the principles are now operational again.
    johnson could choose to test that presumption.

kelvin

I’m just slightly disappointed that it hasn’t created the perfect opportunity for a change of leadership in parallel with the Tories

I share that feeling. Never had any doubt they’d be cleared, there was no case… but some sneaky way of shaking Labour up and swapping out Mr Boring and Unconvincing for someone else would be more exciting. Still, I’ll be out for Labour, even if safe and boring is the at the centre of the offering. I’ve seen enough of Conservative led governments now, thanks.

rone

I’ve seen enough of Conservative led governments now, thanks.

It’s so anxiety inducing that for 2/3 of my 50 years on this earth that’s all we’ve known.

We have no concept of better. The bar has been set so low.

It’s rotten.

kerley
    Free Member

Alternatively, maybe more people in the UK have wanted a tory government than any other for those 50 years (within the bounds of the crappy voting/election system we have in UK)

Daffy

I’d quite happily vote for someone boring who has integrity and seems to be genuinely interested in helping people and the country.

If the test is: Would you happily sit down for a beer with them? I’d much rather sit down with Sir Kier Starmer and have an intelligent conversation about Britain, the EU and the Energy Future than with Boris Johnson on the same topics and be ultimately regaled with stories of Pepper Pig Land.

rone

Alternatively, maybe more people in the UK have wanted a tory government than any other for those 50 years (within the bounds of the crappy voting/election system we have in UK)

Clearly, but it still drains me and I’m peddling a middle class lifestyle.

But also they’ve been misled us about what constitutes an apor8 economic model – they were told that government’s can run out of money so you can’t have good services. So if you’re doing well and you believe your taxes pay for things, then you’re going to avoid paying tax aren’t you? And punch down.

Hence the spiral of inequality.

You know voting for a government is much like voting for brexit – the truth or the best policies don’t necessarily get the votes.

rone

If the test is: Would you happily sit down for a beer with them? I’d much rather sit down with Sir Kier Starmer and have an intelligent conversation about Britain, the EU and the Energy Future than with Boris Johnson on the same topics and be ultimately regaled with stories of Pepper Pig Land

I’d feel like I was wasting my time with either, and clearly Johnson would be better entertainment but I get your point.

AD
    dazh

Alternatively, maybe more people in the UK have wanted a tory government than any other for those 50 years

Jesus man change the record. This is literally the only point you ever post on here. And it’s wrong!

molgrips

If the test is: Would you happily sit down for a beer with them?

That is a very bad test as that’s what won Boris the election and what has led us to this shitty situation.

rone

But also they’ve been misled us about what constitutes an appropriate economic model.

Bad typo spotted

ernielynch
    Free Member

I’d quite happily vote for someone boring…

That’s good to hear, I would too – if I agreed with their policies.

The problem for Starmer is that according to him it is his own shadow cabinet who are accusing him of being boring

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/jun/14/stop-calling-me-boring-keir-starmer-tells-shadow-cabinet

Which is not a good thing especially when it is linked with claims that he has failed to clearly articulate what Labour stands for or enthuse the public. Quote:

“Starmer has been accused by senior colleagues in recent days of failing to articulate clearly what Labour stands for or to enthuse the public about his leadership.”

Ian Duncan Smith famously declared in a speech to the Tory Party Conference when he was party leader, “Do not underestimate the determination of a quiet man”. He might well have been very determined but he was gone as party leader a year later. I think politics is unlikely to be kind to party leaders who try to make a virtue out of being boring.

neilthewheel

That prick of a Durham MP is my MP. Does anyone know whether I would get prosecuted for wasting police time if I reported him for wasting police time? His intervention was clearly a political stunt. I notice he could get 6 months- or, more aptly, a fixed penalty notice.

chewkw
    Free Member

Personally, I think Boris should have gone for a GE …

Then if Starmer wins he can be PM and that will be the test … pandemic, fuel cost, food shortages … let’s see what drum he will bang on … let’s see if the Labour lot can be creative which I doubt so.

Viewing 40 posts - 15,121 through 15,160 (of 16,027 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Thanks for popping by - why not stay a while?IT'S FREE

Sign up as a Singletrack Member and you can leave comments on stories, use the classified ads, and post in our forums, do quizzes and more.

Join us, join in, it’s free, and fun.