• This topic has 21,651 replies, 378 voices, and was last updated 18 hours ago by rone.
Viewing 40 posts - 11,081 through 11,120 (of 21,652 total)
  • Sir! Keir! Starmer!
  • ernielynch

Ernie – Burnham was particularly obvious the way he did it

More obvious than Gordon Brown’s “British jobs for British workers”?

I don’t recall you accusing Gordon Brown of pandering to racists every time his name has been mentioned?

Or have I simply missed it?

Seriously, I want you to tell us that Gordon Brown is totally unacceptable as a politician because he panders to racism.

tjagain

Big and daft – its 100% brexit.  those sectors in Scotland relied on eu immigrants.  Many of them have gone home and no more are coming

Just for a little example – pre the brexit vote the NHS took roughly a thousand EU nurse a month.  post brexit it dropped to hundreds per year and thats pre pandemic

johnx2
    Free Member

During the Brexit vote we were told there were 2 million EU citizens in the UK, roll forward and 5 million have successfully applied for settled status

Number of applications not number of people. Office of National Statistics’: “best estimate at this time is 3.5 million and that figure will be updated later this year, once the APS has been reweighted using the HMRC data.”

Are there really 6m EU citizens living in the UK?

tjagain

Happily condemn him Ernie.  Browns playing of the race card was totally unacceptable.  But he is no longer in any position of power.  Burnham is and many folk on here hold him up as a beacon of what the labour party should be.  I merely point out that he cynically played the race card legitimising racists and refused to fight back against the false racist rhetoric instead nurtured it.  compare that to the statements on immigration coming from Scottish politicians

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Number of applications not number of people. Office of National Statistics’: “best estimate at this time is 3.5 million

Only a 75% increase in the number during the Brexit debate then, happy to be corrected.

its 100% brexit.

Yes I’m sure it’s 100% Brexit

I’m sure none left to get a better education for their kids seeing where Scotland is dropping to in international ratings, or as you live in Edinburgh they didn’t want to pay to send them to a private school with 25% of their mates

Etc etc

lucky7500

I tend not to comment on this thread but do occasionally read it. Even more nonsense than usual is being spouted so here are some actual figures which might help.

As of the 2011 census 80% of the population of England & Wales are classified ‘white British’.
    As of the 2011 census 92% of the population of Scotland are classified ‘white British’.
    Indeed, 84% of the population of Scotland are classified ‘white Scottish’.

tjagain

Unlike you Big and daft I actually spoke to some of the EU nurses leaving scotland.  Half a dozen of them.  Every one cited brexit as the reason.  One factor changes – brexit and there is a huge change in the number of EU nurses coming to the UK.  All the other factors remained the same.  Brexit is 100% the reason for the massive change in EU nurses coming to the UK.  I have also read the analysis done on this by various bodies.  100% brexit

ernielynch

Happily condemn him Ernie.

So you think that Gordon Brown, the man who was almost certainly the driving force behind Tony Blair’s decision to allow unrestricted immigration from 10 new EU member states in 2004, when the overwhelming majority of existing EU member states didn’t, is guilty of pandering to racists?

I think it is fair to say that Tony Blair deferred all issues likely to have economic consequences to Gordon Brown. And when Gordon Brown was Prime Minister he did not tighten up immigration rules as far as I am aware.

But you want to condemn him anyway?

Still, according to you the present UK government is bordering on being fascist, so Gordon Brown needs to jump through quite a few hoops to satisfy you.

grum
    Free Member

Highly unusual. Sure there were no EU born staff?

Maybe one or two. Thing is TJ, you live in Edinburgh – which is basically England. 😉

big_n_daft
    Free Member

Half a dozen of them. Every one cited brexit as the reason

Huge sample size

Even odder is that they get right to remain and all their EU travel and working rights, if they are Irish they have complete freedom. They were working in a city with no anti immigration sentiment, in a part of the country where everyone loved them

But it’s still 100% Brexit, not one person with another reason out of all the thousands….

big_n_daft
    Free Member

80% of the population of England & Wales are classified ‘white British’.

How many of the 80% identify as Scottish?

dazh

Unfortunately it is easier for the tory party to state immigration is the problem

Why single out the tories? I don’t see labour saying anything different. TJ has already highlighted Burnham’s use of the dog whistle, and Ernie Gordon Brown’s. And lets not forget the infamous ‘controls on immigration’ mugs, the maker of which is now back in the shadow home secretary job. And then there’s people like binners, sworn blairite cult centrist labour party members who say they agree with it all. This isn’t a specifically tory problem.

ernielynch

Anyway to get back onto the thread’s topic….. I see that Starmer has been busy tackling that thorny issue of fighting the members of his own party :

iNews: Christmas drinks row latest in Labour stand-off between Keir Starmer and Angela Rayner.
    https://inews.co.uk/news/politics/christmas-drinks-row-latest-labour-stand-off-between-keir-starmer-and-angela-rayner-1328697

You have got to hand it to geezer…..he is a fighter.

Although obviously he would rather not fight the Tories when fighting members of his own party is much more likely to meet with the approval of the right-wing press.

kelvin

This isn’t a specifically tory problem.

Absolutely. They’ve been much better at capitalising on it, but not the only ones to try when it comes to all UK parties.

Although obviously he would rather not fight the Tories

Well, that’s obviously not true, I heard him trying to do so at PMQs today.

when fighting members of his own party

On and on it goes.

Press love to focus on eternal internal rifts in the party, it’s great stuff for them. The Tories love it as well of course (the PM brought this example up when not answering a question at PMQs). An endless supply of stories that help with the “can’t even run their party, so can’t be trusted with the country” feeling at large in the country. The idea that any Labour leader can end this pattern is laughable. It always dominates the narrative when the Tories start to look like they are on rocky ground. It’s grounded in truth, of course, but it’ll never end. Moving Starmer on (and I think he should be moved on) won’t end it. The next leader will face the same. It’s too useful a tool to beat Labour with, and there always people in Labour and close to it willing to help the Tories and the media focus on it when it’s needed.

ernielynch

Well, that’s obviously not true, I heard him trying to do so at PMQs today.

It is very obviously true. Starmer clearly feels uncomfortable attacking the Tories otherwise he would be doing it on a daily basis, not restricting to when he has no choice such as PMQs.

In contrast he seems to absolutely relish attacking and taking disciplinary action against Labour Party members.

I can’t recall any Labour leader ever taking so much effort in attacking and discipling members of his own party. He obviously has issues as leader understanding who the enemy is.

It always dominates the narrative when the Tories start to look like they are on rocky ground.

So it’s all the Tory Party’s fault?

You do realise that my link wasn’t from a particularly right-wing source? I don’t think any of the Tory papers have picked up the story.

tjagain

So I still want to see examples of the bogeyman that Scotland has that means that scottish politicians do not have to play the race card.  come on – several have you have said it so you must have some evidence?

dissonance

So I still want to see examples of the bogeyman that Scotland has that means that scottish politicians do not have to play the race card.

Just look at your own quotes “Westminster” this and “Home office” that. I am not sure how you can be blind to how convenient it is for the SNP to have the UK government to blame in the same way the tories blame the EU.

dissonance

The next leader will face the same

I guess it depends if they deliberately blank their deputy.
    He does seem rather more interested in purging the unbelievers than in anything more useful.

tjagain

Just look at your own quotes “Westminster” this and “Home office” that. I am not sure how you can be blind to how convenient it is for the SNP to have the UK government to blame in the same way the tories blame the EU.

And that has what to do with anti immigrant rhetoric?  come on – lets see this evidence of the scottish political spectrum ( not just SNP) using a bogeyman that takes the place of anti immigrant rhetoric

Are you really trying to claim that scottish labour, Scottish greens, Scottish liberal democrats and Scottish tories blame the english in the same way that westminster parties use anti immigrant rhetoric?

Calling out Westminster parliament for decisions taken there is not a parallel with anti immigrant rhetoric

tjagain

Maybe one or two. Thing is TJ, you live in Edinburgh – which is basically England. 😉

~we are not that bad – we even had a couple of fifers on the staff .  Proper multicultural

rone

rone

This one is fascinating.

On a simple level the chart appears to expand and contract in synch with various covid restrictions / government making decisions.

(Of course there are way more dynamics than that!)

grum
    Free Member

Old article but highly pertinent to our current situation IMO. Available in audio podcast form also.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/01/the-ruthlessly-effective-rebranding-of-europes-new-far-right

I would definitely put Johnson’s government into this category. Hard right on culture wars/immigration while taking the most popular parts of left wing policies mostly on economics. Happening all over Europe and highly successful.

They can not only claim to be sticking up for traditional Christian family values but also defending liberal values against the evil fascist muslims.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

They can not only claim to be sticking up for traditional Christian family values

Saying this about a government led by Boris just shows you are making up the narrative, or do you think traditional Christian family values include divorce, multiple affairs, multiple children outside the main relationships etc etc

What makes it more comical is that it’s immigration is importing people who are more religious than the host population whether they be from Europe, Africa, middle East or South Asia. The collapse of the CofE is matched by the rise of other religions/ denominations with ever increasing congregations regularly attending.

grum
    Free Member

Saying this about a government led by Boris just shows you are making up the narrative, or do you think traditional Christian family values include divorce, multiple affairs, multiple children outside the main relationships etc etc

And yet he is still very popular with people who would identify them as socially conservative Christians. I’m not making up any narrative, what a weird thing to say. He is quite clearly part of the trend outlined in the article. Or did you not read it but decided to argue anyway?

What makes it more comical is that it’s immigration is importing people who are more religious than the host population

Much of the Brexit related immigration fear stoking was around Turkey supposedly joining the EU (ironically with Johnson’ background). In case you didn’t notice, they’re mostly not Christian there.

tjagain

You re bang on right Grum

ernielynch

Hard right on culture wars/immigration

Have you got any numbers? For example how much immigration has been restricted compared to the last Labour government, would provide a reasonable comparison.

Also perhaps the comparison of the present cabinet in relation to cultural diversity and previous Labour cabinets, or maybe cabinets in other western governments.

I’m asking because I’m not seeing this far-right character in terms of culture and immigration. And certainly compared to the islamophobic “centrist” government of France, for example, the UK government seems quite tolerant.

tjagain

Really Ernie?  Really?

ernielynch

Yeah really TJ, just give me some figures to make the point.

I get the impression that immigration into the UK at the present time is about the same as when Labour were in government, possibly higher.

This isn’t what I would expect from a government that is far-right in terms of culture and immigration.

Also the fact that something like 21% of the cabinet is black or Asian seems seems awkward, especially when as far as I am aware no Labour cabinet has had more than one, maybe two, black or Asian ministers.

Edit : And since this thread is suppose to be about Starmer what has he had to say about the alleged far-right character of this government’s cultural and immigration policies?

Speeches given or articles Starmer has written condemning far-right government policies?

grum
    Free Member

I’m not arguing Johnson is the UK’s Marine Le Pen but his Tory party is basically the Brexit party now as a response to haemorrhaging Tory votes to UKIP.

They aren’t ‘the far right’ but they have taken on aspects of the rhetoric and tactics of the far right. I’m not sure any of the current government have any kind of ideology really other than ‘make money for me and my friends’.

Whaboutery regarding the Labour party 20 years ago isn’t particularly relevant AFAICS but you’ll not find me defending them.

Also the fact that something like 21% of the cabinet is black or Asian seems seems awkward

It’s a useful shield to have ethnic minority ministers to push your racist rhetoric – as you’ve so neatly demonstrated.

Though there’s probably a certain twisted kind of de-meritocracy involved where if you slavishly pledge allegiance to the Brexit cult then it doesn’t matter who you are.

ernielynch

Whaboutery regarding the Labour party

This thread is supposed to be about Starmer.

Plus of course if the far-right label can be applied to the Tories because of their immigration policies then presumably the same far-right label can be applied to the Labour Party, if there is no difference in their immigration policies.

If the Labour Party is also a far-right party I think we ought to be told.

tjagain

I get the impression that immigration into the UK at the present time is about the same as when Labour were in government, possibly higher.

Wrong by a long way – now that really does suprise me that you would be so ill informed onthis one seeing as you are anti immigration.  I have always been suprised at y0ur deference to this bunch of tories but you are usually well informed

Net UK immigration fell by 88% in 2020

Just the headline – I didn’t read the article but its been all over the news

Immigration has collapsed

tjagain

Then you need to look at refugee numbers – we take a tiny % of all refugees, make a huge fuss about it, deport them illegally, create a kafkaesque system whereby its impossible for them to use the system (many shipped to glasgow with no recourse to [public funds but appeals that have to be attended are held in Liverpool – how are they supposed to get there).  then we have the door lock changing evictions attempted in glasgow on home office orders to put these people on the street

then you need to look at the actions of patel with the illegal pushback,. then look to the Windrush scandal

Then We have What Baroness Warsi has to say about islamophobia in the tory party and of course the racist statements from Johnson and others

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/entry/baroness-warsi-says-islamophobia-very-widespread-in-tory-party_uk_5b1e3e45e4b09d7a3d74a828

Really Ernie – you are usually well informed .

tjagain

https://ukandeu.ac.uk/as-net-migration-falls-huge-uncertainty-remains/

The UK offered protection, in the form of asylum, humanitarian protection, alternative forms of leave and resettlement, to 10,725 people (including dependants) in the year ending June 2021, 37% down from the number in the year ending June 2020. This included 661 people granted protection through resettlement schemes, 81% fewer than in the previous year.

https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/immigration-statistics-year-ending-june-2021/summary-of-latest-statistics

ernielynch

Just the headline – I didn’t read the article

Yeah but you must have read the bit that said “in 2020 because of the Covid pandemic and Brexit”.

The Tories have been in government for over 10 years, despite grum’s apparent claim that it’s been 20 years since a Labour government. So why not give figures for the 19 years when there wasn’t a global pandemic?

Then We have What Baroness Warsi has to say about islamophobia in the tory party

Next you will give me the shocking news that there are racists in the Tory Party!

Yes it’s all very interesting but that isn’t what was being discussed. The claim was made that the Tory Party is a far-right party similar to other far-right parties in Europe.

There is plenty of islamophobia in many governing parties in Europe, it doesn’t mean that they are all far-right parties.

There is also islamophobia in the Labour Party, and some say anti-Semitism, is Labour also far-right?

Btw you do realise that Warsi is in the Tory Party don’t you?

ernielynch

So anyway, what has Starmer got to say about all this?

tjagain

Who cares?  Two cheeks of the same arse.  I have had enough of thre labour party in England now as they descend into anti immigrant rhetoric, infighting and general uselessness – to say nothing of the total lack of ethics and shown by the rehabilitation of Cooper.  Independence cannot come quickly enough and then little England can be the racist pariah state without dragging Scotland down with it

Starmer did do a good attack line on Johnson not obeying covid rules last christmas today I believe

I find your deference and admiration for the tories quite odd and fascinating tho Ernie.  Is it your anti immigrant position blinding you to what they are doing?  My enemies enemy is my friend?

Edit – with Cooper back on the front bench expect a ramping up of anti immigrant rhetoric,  It utterly disgusts me.  It gives succour to racists, legitimises racism and leads to more racist crimes.  truely sickening.  I expect it from tories but from labour?  disgusting

ernielynch

Who cares? Two cheeks of the same arse.

Let me get this straight, you claim that the Tories are a European type far-right party, when I ask you what has the Labour leader to say on the matter, partly because this thread is supposed to be about him, you answer who cares they are two cheeks of the same arse?

Well I certainly care. I wouldn’t dismiss a far-right party with political power as unimportant. And if the Labour Party is also guilty of being far-right, which presumably two cheeks same arse suggests it is, then you also can’t dismiss that as unimportant, ffs.

The reality is that all these far-right claims are hyperbollock nonsense. Right across Europe the term far-right is used to describe neo-nazi fascist parties such as Golden Dawn in Greece, not Conservative parties.

Describing the Tories as a far-right/fascist party is as daft as Trump supporters calling Joe Biden a communist.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

I’m not arguing Johnson is the UK’s Marine Le Pen but his Tory party is basically the Brexit party now as a response to haemorrhaging Tory votes to UKIP.

Except it’s not, most of the red wall intake MPs are pretty mainstream and didn’t sign up for UKIP

The Brexit boil has been lanced for the Tories, the nutters join Reform, UKIP or some other party or just leave politics.

then you need to look at the actions of patel with the illegal pushback,

How many boats have Border Force attempted to push back?

It’s not an illegal action if you aren’t doing it.

The UK offered protection, in the form of asylum, humanitarian protection, alternative forms of leave and resettlement, to 10,725 people (including dependants) in the year ending June 2021, 37% down from the number in the year ending June 2020.

The number is clearly dodgy based on the Afghan resettlement alone, nevermind the 20,000 or so have crossed the channel in small boats in 2021. Anyone with an ounce of open-minded curiosity would ask why that number is a lot lower than the numbers coming here especially when repatriation is such a limited number.

But let’s face it you hate the country you were born in, you don’t understand it, you just see it as some hellhole that is akin to a neo facist state, it’s only bad, there are no redeeming features, you see an opportunity to create some kind of utopia by breaking it up and you’ll just rant on with the hyperbole turned up to eleven in some hope that if you shout it loud enough it will happen.

As for EU immigration policy I think you are behind the curve
    https://www.politico.eu/newsletter/brussels-playbook/fortress-europe-weakens-asylum-rights-holding-out-for-a-hera-statues-of-limitation/

grum
    Free Member

If your point is that it didn’t start with Johnson then I’m right there with you.

Not before time, the European Parliament has voted to enact disciplinary action against Hungary’s authoritarian, anti-Semitic, Islamophobic government. The motion was passed by 448-197 votes and backed by all major centre-right parties with one exception: the British Conservative Party.

Tory MEPs were whipped to oppose action against Viktor Orbán’s self-described “illiberal democracy”, which has waged an anti-Semitic campaign against George Soros and strangled Hungary’s free press, with only two out of 19 Conservatives refusing to do so. This puts Theresa May’s party in the same company as the far-right Sweden Democrats (a party with neo-Nazi roots), Marine Le Pen’s National Rally, Italy’s League, and Poland’s anti-Semitic Law and Justice Party.

May, who yesterday denounced Labour as “institutionally racist” at Prime Minister’s Questions, was said by No 10 to have been unaware of her party’s stance (“we weren’t consulted in advance”). The Jewish Board of Deputies president, Marie van der Zyl said in response: “I note with disappointment that Conservative Party MEPs have voted in defence of Hungary’s populist, right-wing government of Viktor Orban.

“As we have stated previously, we are very alarmed by the messages at the heart of Orban’s election campaign, including his comments about ‘Muslim invaders’, calling migrants poison, and the vivid anti-Semitism in the relentless campaign against Jewish philanthropist George Soros.”

But the surprise is that anyone should be surprised. For nearly a decade, largely unreported by the media, the Conservatives have unashamedly aligned themselves with Europe’s far right.

From New Statesman ^^^

But yeah, let’s pretend this isn’t happening and talk about David Blunkett being right-wing 20 years ago.

Viewing 40 posts - 11,081 through 11,120 (of 21,652 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.