• This topic has 12,083 replies, 38 voices, and was last updated 6 minutes ago by dazh.
Viewing 40 posts - 10,921 through 10,960 (of 12,084 total)
  • Sir! Keir! Starmer!
  • Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

In fact, that’s exactly what Corbyn was offering, but you’ve already said you don’t think he’d have been any better than Johnson, so you seem to be contradicting yourself.

Apart from that is not what I said, at all. I said I don’t think Corbyn would have been a better leader than Johnson, i.e. leading his party, getting people behind him, getting things achieved etc,. as he was proved to be useless.
    Do I think that a Corbyn Labour party would be better than a Johnson tory party, absolutely.

See the difference?

Premier Icon dazh

Apart from that is not what I said, at all. I said I don’t think Corbyn would have been a better leader than Johnson

No you didn’t, here’s the quote..

I also wouldn’t be able to say whether Corbyn would have been a better PM than Johnson.

Do you still stand by this after the last few days?

Premier Icon oldmanmtb2
    Free Member

Copa i pay myself the same as our senior consultants and deliver 150 days consultantcy into my business each year.

I sure as shit dont sit and take profits.

Premier Icon copa
    Free Member

Copa i pay myself the same as our senior consultants and deliver 150 days consultantcy into my business each year.

I sure as shit dont sit and take profits.

Why don’t you pay yourself less as you’re generating less income than your senior consultants?

Premier Icon vazaha
    Free Member

How many Corbyns do we think could dance on the head of a pin?

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Do you still stand by this after the last few days?

Yes, I still think that as it is still what I said, PM = leader. Corbyn would have been as useless as Johnson as PM. You did see how useless he was during his last couple of years didn’t you?

Remember this is solely about him being in the PM position and how capable he would be in that role and not about labour vs tory which you got confused with earlier.

Premier Icon MoreCashThanDash

Why don’t you pay yourself less as you’re generating less income than your senior consultants?

Because his other work running the business enables the other consultants to generate income maybe?

Premier Icon nickc

This, is both wrong, and a stupid thing for him to say:
    “When business profits, we all do”

Most business in the UK are small and independent, and mostly owner operated. So rather than Amazon or JCB, think hairdressers, pub landladies, the garage that does your MOT, the builder or the plumber you use.

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

The latest opinion poll out today gives the Tories a 3 point lead over Labour.

Voting intentions:
    Con 39% (no change vs October 2021)
    Lab 36% (+2)
    L Dem 10% (+2)
    Green 5% (-3)
    SNP 4% (-1)
    Reform UK (formerly Brexit Party) 2% (no change)
    UKIP 2% (+1)
    Plaid Cymru 1% (no change)
    Other 1% (no change)

https://www.kantarpublic.com/inspiration/thought-leadership/most-britons-think-mps-make-decisions-based-on-their-own-interests

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

Not surprised, they are doing a great job at the moment aren’t they. Green has also gone down by a big amount, guess the COP26 thing already worn off.

Those voters eh…

Premier Icon fadda

With little more than a third of the vote(…ing intention).

I think Labour could do worse than embracing PR…

Premier Icon disco_stu
    Free Member

I think Labour could do worse than embracing PR…

It was tried at the last conference but the unions blocked it.

https://labourlist.org/2021/09/conference-rejects-motion-committing-labour-to-proportional-representation/

“79.51% of Constituency Labour Party delegates backed the motion, while 95.03% of affiliates voted against.”

Premier Icon kimbers

This is before Johnsons latest u-turn on masks, too

Polls are essentially level at the moment too

Premier Icon kerley
    Free Member

That change is because Boris has had a shitshow over the last month and not because Starmer has done anything good. Confirms a few things;
    – It is for the tories to lose
    – The leader really does matter and has a big bearing on voting, despite what some on this forum think

Premier Icon dazh

I see Starmer’s pointless reshuffle has generated a lot of excitement on here. 😀

Premier Icon kelvin

I thought it was much needed, and is now a much stronger front bench… I didn’t post here because I suspect it’ll just turn into rants about the new shadow home secretary… for what it’s worth, I think what-s-name never made an impact, and Cooper should do much better.

Lammy in a major post is the big win for me. Very happy about that.

Premier Icon cultsdave
    Free Member

Is there any point discussing it on here? I dip in and out of this thread and its always the same few going on and on about how awful Starmer supposedly is.

Premier Icon grum

its always the same few going on and on about how awful Starmer supposedly is.

Can someone tell us some good stuff to counter that then? I’ll wait…

I thought it was much needed, and is now a much stronger front bench…

If by stronger you mean more right-wing. Also sidelining Rayner in yet another total dick move. And promoting Lisa Nandy and Wes Streeting – yay!

I know I’ll get called a racist but this reshuffle also involves the promotion of more self-defined Zionists and members of LFI to senior positions. BICOM will be thrilled their secret leadership bid funding didn’t go to waste.

Premier Icon binners

Good to see Yvette Cooper back on the front bench. I bet she can’t wait to get stuck into Priti Vacant. It should be highly entertaining as the gap in their between-the-ears activity really is quite vast.

That and the 6th formers will no doubt be getting their petticoats massively ruffled, so it’s a win/win 😃

Premier Icon tjagain

Cooper is corrupt and badly tainted .  Nandy is  useless.  I have generally supported Starmer but this is very poor.  Bringing Cooper back especially is a huge mistake

Premier Icon IHN

Cooper is corrupt

Come on chap, corrupt is a big word that needs some backing up.

Premier Icon cultsdave
    Free Member

From what I saw of her on the select committee, she seemed very capable. Why would we not want someone as capable as her in the shadow cabinet? She seems very competent and that is what we need to see?

In what way is she corrupt?

Premier Icon tjagain

IHN  check her and her husbands record.   Anything for a pound.  Totally ripped the piss on expenses.  I dont care how capable she seems .  I dont want her in cabinet

Premier Icon salad_dodger

Because TJ said so. What other evidence do you need?

Premier Icon nickc

Totally ripped the piss on expenses.

Could’ve claimed £44,000 mortgage expenses under the rules at the time, did in fact claim £24,000, was overpaid £1300, ordered to pay it back. I’ve no dog in this fight, but that doesn’t exactly strike me as a criminal mastermind at work…

Premier Icon cultsdave
    Free Member

I just googled her expenses, she had been investigated and cleared of wrong doing.
    Doesn’t sound corrupt to me, could be that her actions were morally questionable but I didn’t read enough to know.

Premier Icon IHN

IHN check her and her husbands record.

You know what, I won’t. If you’re going to bandy about the accusations, it seems only fair that you should back them up.

‘Corrupt’ is very specific, very important, word when it comes to politicians, and should not be used lightly.

Premier Icon binners

You’ll have as much luck there as you will with TJ constantly accusing Andy Burnham of being a racist despite never, despite being asked repeatedly to do so, coming up with any evidence of him being so.

Anyway… I’ll tell you who definitely won’t be glad to see Yvette Coopers return to the front bench, apart from TJ…

Priti Patel

…and Boris Johnson

And that can only be a good thing

Premier Icon kelvin

[ quick reminder that I didn’t vote for Labour under Blair, Brown or Miliband ]

Having one been once politically dead set against them, I’ve warmed to both Cooper and Balls in recent years, while they’ve been away from the front bench. I even had a dream the other night that they were job sharing the role of PM… which, in my dream, was working out really well for the UK… to the extent that the law was being changed so that we always had to have a male and a female joint PM, instead of having a deputy or stand in. In my happy simple unreal dream world, Balls was the heart and Cooper the brains of a government that was confining the Tories to seemingly endless opposition. You might have more exciting, or realistic, dreams, but mine was a warm lovely and stark contrast to UK political realities.

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

Quite a dream there Kelvin.

I can’t stand Yvette Cooper, more Blairite than Blair and probably more Tory than some Tories. She has no voter appeal imo, and no redeeming qualities.

Premier Icon cultsdave
    Free Member

“No redeeming qualities”

So her ability and competence on the select committee is not a quality suited to an MP?

You may not like her or want to vote for her but your last sentence seems a bit silly.

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

Latest GB Voting Intention (29 November 2021)

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest voting intention poll in Great Britain finds the Conservative Party leading over the Labour Party by 2%, following the two parties’ tie in last week’s poll. Altogether, the full numbers (with the changes from last week in parentheses) are as follows:

Conservative 38% (+1)

Labour 36% (-1)

Liberal Democrat 10% (+1)

Green 6% (–)

Scottish National Party 4% (–)

Reform UK 4% (–)

Plaid Cymru 1% (+1)

Other 1% (-1)

Premier Icon IHN

I can’t stand Yvette Cooper, more Blairite than Blair and probably more Tory than some Tories.

So probably slap bang in the middle of where much of the voting public are.

Premier Icon nickc

and no redeeming qualities.

When she came to a community-based cataract service that I set up in Wakefield, she made a pretty decent cup of tea, so there’s that.

Premier Icon kelvin

Redfield & Wilton Strategies’ latest voting intention poll

But, oddly…

Starmer on the rise… (no, I’m not sure why either)…

And government reputation diving as regards “sleeze”… (no, I’m not sure what that covers either)…

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

You may not like her or want to vote for her but your last sentence seems a bit silly.

You think it seems a bit silly because you don’t agree with me.

I don’t believe that any ability and competence that she might have chairing a select committee redeems her from the fact that she is a Blairite on the far right of the Labour Party.

The last thing Britian needs right now, in my opinion of course, is the Labour Party to shift further to the right and go back to the days of New Labour. Which is exactly what Cooper’s return to the front benches signal.

Obviously you won’t agree with me because you have a different point of view. It doesn’t necessarily make my remark silly, just because you don’t agree.

Premier Icon IHN

The last thing Britian needs right now, in my opinion of course, is the Labour Party to shift further to the right and go back to the days of New Labour. Which is exactly what Cooper’s return to the front benches signal.

The thing is, anything further ‘left’ of New Labour has been proven, repeatedly, sufficiently unpopular with the electorate. New Labour was the only Labour government of any form for a long, long, time. I appreciate that many in the Labour party would like a more ‘traditional Labour’ government, but unfortunately, generally, the electorate disagrees.

So, do you keep pushing for what you want but probably won’t get, or something ‘sub-optimal’ but with a chance of success?

Premier Icon cultsdave
    Free Member

The bit I don’t agree with you on is your comment of “No voter appeal or redeeming qualities”

Her redeeming qualities lie in her abilities as shown by her performance in the select committee.
    Her voter appeal lies in her competence.

You personally think she is too right wing which is a perfectly acceptable opinion. Denying she has voter appeal or any redeeming features is silly.

Premier Icon ernielynch
    Free Member

If there were to be a General Election in the United Kingdom tomorrow, for which party would you vote?

That was the question that Redfield & Wilton Strategies asked. I was originally going to include in my post but decided not to bother.

And the reason I thought of including it was because I thought it was highly likely that someone would say “but wait…….blah blah”.

I see that this time it fell to Kelvin to use the deflecting tactics.

The only question that matters is how would people vote if there was a general election tomorrow. What they think of so-and-so is completely irrelevant if in doesn’t affect the way they will vote.

To find out whether it affects the way they will vote you ask “how would you vote of there was a general election tomorrow?”

Premier Icon kelvin

I see that this time it fell to Kelvin to use the deflecting tactics.

No deflecting. Intention to vote Labour down 1 point, to vote Conservative up 1 point. Not disputing that. I find it interesting, and surprising, that Starmer as “best PM” is rising, in the same polling. Definitely worth a mention in this thread about Kier Starmer. The “sleaze” polling is less surprising… except that it’s telling that the party of government still polls so well when more and more of the public are more cynical about them. Suggests that Labour aren’t trusted, even when people have such a low opinion of the Conservatives in government when it comes to “sleaze”.

Viewing 40 posts - 10,921 through 10,960 (of 12,084 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.