• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Singular Swift v Gryphon v Peregrine
  • epicyclo

I’ve got a Swift and a Peregrine.

I want to reduce my bike numbers and thinking a Gryphon could do the job of both. Intended use on & off road, mainly off. (Don’t need front suspension.)

Anyone care to comment on ride difference between the Gryphon and either the Swift, or the Peregrine?

firestarter
    Free Member

Can’t help really other than I had a swift but sold it if it had been a gryphon I would have kept it , and I’d love a peregrine

but I think you are correct in your assumption as long as you want to run drop bars and no panniers

ir_bandito
    Free Member

I looked into the Gryphon before I got my Peregrine. Gryphon doesn’t have pannier rack mounts, which was enough to put me off for the purpose I needed it for.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    ir_bandito
    Free Member

firestarter: my med Alfine’d Peregrine is sort of* for sale. email in profile if you’re interested.

(*sort of – still using it every day to commute so its not been cleaned up yet)

Dyffers
    Free Member

My imediate thought was are you happy with drop bars offroad, or like riding flat bars onroad?

If the former, go for it (and sell the Swift to me if it’s XL!). If it’s the latter, isn’t the Gryphon setup for drop bars?

firestarter
    Free Member

Got no dough I’m afraid its all saved for my trip to Scotland in march , what sort of money you looking for 😉

ir_bandito
    Free Member

DSC_0875 by ir_bandito, on Flickr

£1300 ono
    sorry Epicyclo, dodn’t mean to hijack your thread

epicyclo

ir_bandito – Member
    sorry Epicyclo, dodn’t mean to hijack your thread

Nae worries 🙂

In answer to other comments, I do ride with dropbars offroad.

firestarter
    Free Member

Ooo nice but can’t afford that. Good luck fella

thekingofsweden

I indeed have both Swift and Gryphon which i enjoy in equal measure
    I use the Gryphon daily for riding into work i can do a mix of on and off road so i use a fast rolling off road tyre.
    I like to use the gryphon for longer rides which incorproate a good mix of riding i find it copes well with any terrain i take it over and i cant really think of anywhere that the gryphon cant go where the swift can
    Obviously a swift with flat bars may be a bit easier to ride on some stuff but generally i have never found myself thinking i brought the wrong bike today
    If i know i am doing full off road stuff i would choose my swift because i have that choice available to me
    I dont have the peregrine so i cant comment on that
    Hope that helps which ever way you go you will not be disappointed

epicyclo

That’s good, much as I thought.

I’m just about incapable of going for a ride and not going offroad, so I figure maybe I should accept this and ride a 29er for road use with Big Apples and then I won’t feel I’m going to wreck my bike. (I will have another bike setup for pure offroad.)

epicyclo

double post – how?

Sam

The Swift and the Gryphon are really very similar bikes. My goal with the Gryphon was really to take everything I liked about the Swift and put it in to a drop-bar rigid specific frame. If you could do the ‘blind riding’ test on a Swift set up rigid and with drops against a Gryphon it would be quite a similar ride.

The Peregrine is another step towards road-worthiness, plus the rack and mudguard mounts and of course classic lugged construction.

Probably the main issue for your immediate consideration though is that medium Gryphons are out of stock and I’ll not have more until around June unfortunately… So you might just have to continue to cope with two Singulars in the house 😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Singular Swift v Gryphon v Peregrine’ is closed to new replies.