Singular Gryphon – rear tyre clearance

Home Forum Bike Forum Singular Gryphon – rear tyre clearance

• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by  Sam.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Singular Gryphon – rear tyre clearance
  • birdage

Think you’d be struggling especially if you need any kind of mud clearance. Haven’t tried it though……. Hans Damph 2.35 which comes up large on a 35mm rim no problem with Chronicle at the front. Think I also had an Ardent 2.4 in there also.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

cheers birdage. I think that’s where Im going.
    Chronicle on front i35 and some kind of 2.3-2.4 in the rear. Mud clearance not a necessity – not a lot of clag on the malverns.

scud

I think if you want to go wide, then you need to drop down to 27+ wheels? I had same issue with my Mk1 Fargo.

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

TBH I dont necc want to go wide. I did run 2.8 27.5 TBs in the back and they were fine. But I would like to stick to 29″, fat front and as much in the back as fits.

here she is with 27.5 f&r
    She needs bigger boots to look “right” IMO

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

Long shot, but before I go and blow cash on unnecessary rubber, can anyone with a Gryphon give me an idea of how big a tyre carcass on a 35mm internal 29er rim I can fit in the back?

Can I go fat? Or am I limited to 2.8″ NN or some Maxxis thing like a 2.25″ Ardent or HR etc?

Premier Icon yetitony
    Subscriber

Not sure how big you can go on the rear. I had Continental X Kings 2.2 and they pretty much filled out the back with not much room for mud clearance.
    Great bike though. Pic with the X Kings fitted.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dwKxed]Sea Wall Ride on the Gryphon[/url] by Tony Clark, on Flickr

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

cheers yeti . I think I will go with some kind of Maxxis then to match the chronicle. Prob 2.25″ I guess.

birdage

More clearance on the later Gryphons though!

Great bike. A Ti version would be my dream bike. Got a set of wheels with Big Apple 2.35s that I keep meaning to try for fast, bouncy fun!

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

i’ve got a 2.4 ardent on a 35mm blunt rim in the back of my swift if you want to try it, you’ll have to come over to the shop though

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

cheers RD. I can bung it on the rim and test and if it doesnt fit (unlikely) I can put it on a different bike anyway.

Not to mention it’s a long way to the other side of the NW alpine mountain range.

Premier Icon rOcKeTdOg
    Subscriber

I was thinking u could bring the bike & try it as I’ll need the tyre to ride home 🙂
    Here til 5 tomorrow. Email me before 0830 tomorrow if you’re coming & I’ll make sure i use the right bike to get here

Premier Icon Stoner
    Subscriber

sorry, I meant I can buy an Ardent and if it doesnt fit on the gryphon, put it in the back of the Nerve in France. Although now I know where I can nick one from….

Sam

On a green frame you will get a 2.4 Ardent on a 45mm rim in the back and a 3.0 in the front.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Singular Gryphon – rear tyre clearance’ is closed to new replies.