• This topic has 34 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by Sam.
Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Singular Gryphon build help
  • igm

Simple one. I want to run a double with a fairly big outer ring as the bike will do both 25 mile commutes and light off road.
    I had a 53-39 handy, which to be honest is a bit big but doesn’t look like it will fit anyway.

So the question is, is anyone running a double and if so what size?

I’m wondering about 50-34 or 46-36 – anyone fitted them, anything else I should look at?

Thanks in advance.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Think I’m going to go 44/32 X 11/36 on my monster cross project but it’s not going to be for commuting. Mostly just xc rides with bits of road in between. No help to you what so ever then 😀

paul4stones

Will it take a road chainset or do you need mtb for the clearance?

igm

Good question Paul. Don’t know is the answer. It’s tight, but coming down from a 53 to a 50 or a 46 and spinning the EBB forward will probably give enough clearance. I just want to know if anyone’s done it before I spend some money on bits. It could be expensive getting the wrong chainset.

tollah
    Free Member

I’d slap a compact road chainset on. My cx bike has 53:39 and is a struggle on some off road parts.

igm

That’s what I’m thinking Tollah, possibly with an 11-36 XT 10spd cassette, 9spd mtb rear mech and keep the 105 STIs. Strangely I think that is all compatible.

Just wondering if anyone’s done it, and if not is it because something doesn’t fit (and my suspicion is the chainset). No Knight done this yet?

Ah well, I’ve dropped Sam an email. If he doesn’t know then I may just have to do it and find out.

igm

Sam has replied. It was designed around an mtb chainset. A 46-36 might fit, but even then the crank arm tips might not clear the chainstays.

It’s looking like an mtb double then.

Splodge

I’ve just built my Gryphon up with an Alfine 8 geared hub with Versa levers.
    Would of prefered an 11 but got a an excellent deal on the 8 however it has proved spot on for the flat to moderate hills I ride – bridleways, gravel fire roadsn and some back lanes.

igm

Ordered 50t and 34t 104bcd chainrings which should go on an old set of XT cranks I have – hopefully.

So a compact chainset based on MTB cranks then.

I’ll report back on whether it works.

If it does an 11-36 cassette and 10spd road, or 9spd mtb mech depending on cage length, may be the next purchases

Sam

Big chainring might not clear the stays Iain – I’d appreciate it if you let me know 🙂

Rik
    Free Member

I ran a 50/40/30 set up on mine with no problems Road chainset but with a square taper bb spaced I think it was a 115mn axle with a MTB front mech.

igm

50-34 on an XT crank fits.

TheSwede
    Free Member

9 spd mech wont work with 10 speed shifters. Different pull ratios.

Nipper99
    Free Member

a 9 speed xt rear mech (med cage) will def work with 10 speed 105 sti type shifters – have it on my gryphon but in 1×10 flavour (11/36 out back). xt 10 speed rear mech and same shifter won’t work as i found the expensive way!!

igm

Swede – Nipper is correct I believe. I had done a lot of research and checking bits I already had before I started buying.

I’ll stick the groupset listing up on here once I finish, ‘cos it’s gonna be a real franken-set.

markenduro
    Free Member

Nipper is right, 9speed mtb is fine with 10 speed road. The new mtb 10speed stuff is totally different though.

TheSwede
    Free Member

So there is a cheaper option to convert my 29er rigid to drop bar. Was going to shell out for new SRAM 10sp levers as have a spare new SRAM 10sp x7 rear mech. So if I bought the cheaper shimano levers, dya think it may save me a few quid allthough I’ll have to get a shimano rear mech? Hhhmmm.

igm

If it helps I think the parts list will be:

Shimano 105 STIs
    Avid BB7 road
    LX T660 trekking front mech
    XT cranks with Salsa 36t middle and TA 50t outer
    105 rear mech and cassette – though this will get changed for an XT 11-36 and 9spd mech

Ths chain is the only bit to be decided – chain rings will run a 9spd better cassette will run a 10spd better.

The brakes might be your issue Swede – depending on what you’re running now.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Ive got bb7’s but mtb. Going to try to mod to work with road levers before probably buying the correct road versions. I’d defo use a 10sp chain. Chain rings have no preference imo to 9 or 10 but cassettes definitely do. Looking at lever prices there’s not much in it if you shop around so will prob just go sram and use the rear mech Ive got. One of my old front mechs should work so then just chain and cassette to get.

igm

Alternatively you can get non-STI MTB pull brake levers that will work with your BB7-MTBs. Then just add bar end shifters – I like the return to centre SRAM RC2 types (I don’t like the cost – cheaper options are available).

TheSwede
    Free Member

Not really a fan of bar end shifters but its a cheaper option I suppose.

thomthumb
    Free Member

Ive got bb7’s but mtb. Going to try to mod to work with road levers before probably buying the correct road versions

my shimano cable disc (deore i think) has been fine since Christmas on a road set up.

you have to pull the arm in a little when tensioning the cable & the cable adjuster needs dialling in frequently (1 minute job) as the pad wears. but i’m surprised how well it works.

it was supposed to be a temporary thing until l a BB5 arrived. the BB5 has been in the spares box for ages as there was no need to swap it – finally got round to it this morning.

TheSwede
    Free Member

Great, thats what I was hoping. That will save me a few quid then 😀

igm

Ok the spec at present (as promised)
    Shimano 105 STIs
    Avid BB7 road
    CX-70 cross front mech – the T660 didn’t give the clearances
    XT cranks with Salsa 36t middle and TA 50t outer
    XT 11-36 10 speed cassette and Xt 9 speed rear mech
    SRAM 10 speed chain

The only bit that doesn’t really work is the BB7 brakes – Hope V-Twin is on order.

Splodge

[/quote]The only bit that doesn’t really work is the BB7 brakes – Hope V-Twin is on order.

Loving my Gryphon – built with an Alfine hub (+ Versa shifters), Midleburn cranks, Ragly Luxy bars, finished with Hope and Charge comps…however the BB5’s could be improved so would loved to see piccies of the VTwin setup (and the whole bike) plus your feedback on them.

thomthumb
    Free Member

The only bit that doesn’t really work is the BB7 brakes – Hope V-Twin is on order.

if they are for sale… cheeky i know.

email in profile 😀

mikemorini
    Free Member

Just building up my Gryphon with 2 x 10 and drops.
    Anyone used a 9sp shadow mech, or does it have to be a normal one (for want of a better term).

Cheers Mike

Nipper99
    Free Member

I use a 9 speed shadow rear mech on my 1 x 10 with sti 105 shifter on the front.

mikemorini
    Free Member

Cheers Nipper99

Mike

cynic-al
    Free Member

BB7 brakes not working = user error

igm

Thanks for the diagnosis Al.

Fortunately the V-Twins (and Juicy 3, 5 & 7s, Mono Minis, Tech X2s, Tech M4s and a whole variety of rim based V-brakes, calliper and cantilever brakes) appear to be user error proof, so I should be able to work round the problem.

And selling the BB7 callipers on lost me less money than buying the discs and mounts would have cost – so it ended up being a cost effective way of putting V-Twins on the bike.

Nipper99
    Free Member

So, 105 shifters (triple), Middleburn compact 30/20 front chainrings – what front mech. I have a 105 double front mech which the muppet in my lbs assured me would do the trick (i fall for his crap everytime – no more)but cannot seem to get it to run cleanly. Is there anything else, another mech, i should be trying? Ta.

Sam

I’d have thought that mech would work for you.the problem is likely that you need a derailleur compatible with those shifters, but they are all designed for a much larger diameter chain ring.

igm

Would a road triple front mech work, the inner and middle wouldn’t be a mile away from your choices. Not sure about the cable pull.

Sam

Yes, it should be doable, you would need a triple compatible mech

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Singular Gryphon build help’ is closed to new replies.