Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Singletrack Forum glossary
  • matt_outandabout

Any reference to behind Nationwide in Swindon = easy, urban trails.

garage-dweller

Child’s face

Theoretical motion arresting device for all badly handled high speed / high impact solid objects.

Not to be confused with the contents of a nappy if your spell checker is broken. If mishandled this can become one of the aforementioned high speed/high impact solid objects but also offers a liquid variation.

tomhoward

I see my reputation precedes me.

Whats ATGNI or MCWCB?

or, my favourite, SBLW.

😉

jimmy

No pudding – a situation in which someone feels hard done by when, in fact, it is a perfectly reasonable example of cause and effect.

rOcKeTdOg

Reasonably priced = expensive.

A bit spendy = outrageously, jaw droppingly expensive.

Expensive = Tom Howard already has one. 🙂

I snorted my bottled water that came from a mountain range but tastes just like the council pop that comes out of the tap

Alex

I’m concerned about the lack of hierarchy in what are considered appropriate responses to perceived slights.

Logically you’d escalate from ‘Wee in shoes’ to ‘Hoof in Slats’ before even considering the full-body contact that is ‘own with bombers’. And yet posters use them interchangeably. It’s an unacceptable lack of rigour.

And where do frozen sausages and lawns fit in this taxonomy? What happens if the slight-er does not own any kind of garden? Glacial Pig fired through the letterbox?

I’m sure it’s not just me who is understandably upset.  I’d expect better, frankly.

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Sticker – used to describe any paint blemish/or imminent catastrophic frame failure

I would not ride that – used to describe what not to do following discovery of above sticker. Also see Louise

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Coke and Hookers – what to buy with any windfall
    Ling (see also Ling, Ling, Ling) – great deals on Lease cars and as mad as a box of unopened Frogs

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Logically you’d escalate from ‘Wee in shoes’ to ‘Hoof in Slats’ before even considering the full-body contact that is ‘own with bombers’. And yet posters use them interchangeably. It’s an unacceptable lack of rigour.

I’m afraid you’re mistaken. It’s not that sort of scale.
    Wee in shoes isn’t a lesser reaction than owning with bombers. The escalation from either of those is weeing in shoes and and owning with bombers.

Alex

Well that just seems unnecessarily messy 😉 I could see – in the heat of the moment – being threatened to be owned with shoes or a fork-lube-wee scenario.

Still my daughter had to explain “yeet” to me at least three times, so I’ll just have to move on.

Oh and anyway who finishes a post with IANAL is really killing electrons superflously. Reading their actual post makes their lack of legal qualifications explict 🙂

arrpee
    Free Member

“Center Parcs”

When you park it right in the centre.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Reading their actual post makes their lack of legal qualifications explict 🙂

You mean how their opinion doesn’t start with a demand for payment?

tomhoward

“Center Parcs”

When you park it right in the centre.

Was expecting a joke about parking at the rear, if I’m honest.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

This isn’t mum’s net tom

Alex

You mean how their opinion doesn’t start with a demand for payment?

I didn’t. But from now on I will 🙂

Cougar

And where do frozen sausages and lawns fit in this taxonomy?

I don’t want to go off at a tangent and I may have asked this before but, where did this little running gag come from? I don’t recall the original thread.

ElShalimo

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

I don’t want to go off at a tangent and I may have asked this before but, where did this little running gag come from? I don’t recall the original thread.

It was a short lived thread moaning about over zealous moderation, I don’t think you were invited, though you may have been paged once or twice.

In honesty I think it started in a thread a year or two ago moaning about a neighbour (possibly their lack of control over their dog) and was made as a half serious suggestion.

soundninjauk

Will I die? – Used to question the potential effects of riding a frame with a sticker on it, a horrible bodge designed to get you out of a hole the day before your uplift day, or some other curious approach to problem solving that probably doesn’t involve just getting a replacement part (either because you can’t, or it’s spendy).

rOcKeTdOg

“Fix it with a spoon”

Closely followed by Al claiming “it wasn’t a spoon”

tomhoward

£500+VAT. The buyout clause/cancellation fee of any contract.

duncancallum

I belive I saw the lawn sausage thing on piston heads 1st

Mumsnet-beaker people. An online encyclopedia of all things penis beaker

LD
    Free Member

What is “rule no 1” ?

MoreCashThanDash

What is “rule no 1” ?

Fight Club….

eddiebaby
    Free Member

You just broke it (Don’t be a dick is the real rule one.).

ElShalimo

AIBU – am I being unreasonable?

Typically someone says “an old lady lost control of her shopping trolley in the Surbiton Waitrose car park and it put a tiny dent in my 17 year old VW Polo. She admitted full responsibility so I took her details and phoned her later that day to say that my local VW main dealer want £8,000 to repair the dent the size of a pea in my old shitbox car (it really wasn’t in great shape anyway but this is the ideal opportunity to make amends for when my ever-loving partner reversed the Polo into an oil tanker). By demanding the old lady pays for this repair, she gets to pay for her transgressions and I get my VW back into tip-top shape. After all she’s old and admitted it was her fault. AIBU?”

vickypea
    Free Member

Weapons grade bell end

chakaping
    Free Member

Any reference to behind Nationwide in Swindon = easy, urban trails.

Disagree. Usually deployed facetiously when someone asks where a particularly gnarly riding video was filmed, or to humourously disparage another riding spot.

e.g. “Yeah Whistler’s alright, but there’s better stuff in the woods behind Nationwide in Swindon”.

AIBU

Don’t see that on here really. Did you get this browser window mixed up with Mumsnet?

tthew

Will I die? – Used to question the potential effects of riding a frame with a sticker on it, a horrible bodge designed to get you out of a hole the day before your uplift day, or some other curious approach to problem solving that probably doesn’t involve just getting a replacement part (either because you can’t, or it’s spendy).

Well there’s that, or there’s the other alternative, “I’m going to hit up Llandegla blue this weekend, my rear High Roller II got one corner nob bitten off by my trail hound, and I can only find a Forekaster to replace it. Will I die?”

rOcKeTdOg

one corner nob bitten off by my trail hound, and I can only find a Forekaster to replace it.

Or with a cat with a penchant for sudocream and conveyor belts

Cougar

I belive I saw the lawn sausage thing on piston heads 1st

I believe you may be right, that rings bells now you come to mention it.

What is “rule no 1” ?

More widely known (perhaps) as Wheaton’s Law.

AIBU – am I being unreasonable?

That’s straight outta Mumsnet.

Weapons grade bell end

I’m pretty sure I can take responsibility for coining that one.

Ironically.

garage-dweller

Weapons grade bell end

Mrs gd dislikes this quite a lot. I take a different view. Conveniently it also works well with a number of other insults

Caher

Back in the early days of stw (oooh look at me! I’m a never-band or reincarnated, legendary heavy hitter and never controversial).
    Asking for a mate: it’s really your only mate. Double psychology not yourself.
    50k to spend on a Car. So which Skoda?

MoreCashThanDash

That’s straight outta Mumsnet.

That’s gonna need an 18 certificate due to violence, language, gang membership and downright weird sexual proclivities

nickc

“How do I find out the email of the boss of [insert name of component co here]”

Translation: the easily fitted part I bought is now broken, mostly because of my own ham-fisted inability to follow a simple step by step instruction leaflet that could’ve been followed by a dyslexic 5 year old. I’ve contacted the company in question but now nearly an hour has passed and they haven’t admitted shameful culpability and sent me a new one, and being an entitled boomer I’m disgusted by their lack of obsequiousness, and demand to know the name and and email address of the person in charge so that I can demand recompense

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Right wing – anyone who doesn’t physically vomit at the sight of a member of the Conservative party.

ElShalimo

Boomer – a term used by people in their 20s or 30s erroneously deployed to describe people slightly older than themselves who don’t spend all of their wages on 8 different streaming services, the latest Apple products, smashed avocados on toast and five Starbucks choccamoccachinos per day hence they can afford to buy a small modest house and get on the housing ladder as they stayed in and saved up.

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

Translation: the easily fitted part I bought is now broken, mostly because of my own ham-fisted inability to follow a simple step by step instruction leaflet

I think you’ll find this is rarely the cause for escalating to contacting the ceo it’s just the sample group has been inexplicably skewed over the last 18 months.

When normal service resumes it’ll be more commonly down to having to replace the part that’s been knackered (read clicks slightly) for months but has remained in daily use until the day before flying on holiday. The part having not being delivered within 23hr 59min means the entire holiday for a family of 5, lest the op has to spend the whole time in the company of their own progeny, will have to be cancelled and crc will have to pay for it.

MoreCashThanDash

Boomer – a term used by people in their 20s or 30s erroneously deployed to describe people slightly older than themselves who don’t spend all of their wages on 8 different streaming services, the latest Apple products, smashed avocados on toast and five Starbucks choccamoccachinos per day hence they can afford to buy a small modest house and get on the housing ladder as they stayed in and saved up.

That made me chuckle – discovered last night that a couple of 19 year olds who I know via Scouting have just bought a house together! 19 ffs!

ElShalimo

discovered last night that a couple of 19 year olds who I know via Scouting have just bought a house together! 19 ffs!

Boomers !!!

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack Forum glossary’ is closed to new replies.