Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Singletrack eBook – Beta
  • Mark

Premier users with an iPhone/iPad may be interested in this..

It’s early days and we are still testing and trying stuff out but we are planning more ‘multi-platform’ launches..

So if you have the iBooks app then try this.

1 – Make sure you are logged in to your Premier account on your iPhone/iPad
    2 – Copy this url (DON’T CLICK )and then navigate to the Mag Archive using said iPhone/iPad

premier.singletrackworld.com/p/epub/blamethedog.epub

3 – Paste the URL into your browser and ‘enter’
    4 – Choose ‘Open in iBooks’
    5 – Let us know what you think 🙂

Premier users with a Kindle… you are next 🙂

Any new eBooks and Kindle issues will be free to ALL Premier users BTW.
    Non-Premier users will be able to buy books from Amazon.

wwaswas

that’s quite clever 🙂

I like the way you’ve collected columns together rather than just republished the mag verbatim.

can you do Roly Lambert’s and Samurii’s next?

molgrips
    Free Member

When the Kindle one comes out I’ll be in.

Is it website content, or the actual mag? Cos if the mag were also available I’d subscribe to that too.

wwaswas

it’s a collection of articles from the mag in ‘book’ form molgrips – ‘blame the dog’ in this case.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

It does what it says on the tin, but since I’ve not yet read any of the other freebie iBook titles* I can’t see myself reading this either. It passes the “does it work” test though 🙂

I don’t yet “get” reading books on my iPhone.

*except the iPhone manual. With that in mind, maybe this is a good platform for more practical articles like your route guides

Mark

The Kindle version is a little less slick in terms of getting it on to your device (unless you are using the Kindle app on the iPhone/iPad in which case you just download it on your device and it pops up in the right app)
    So this url should be downloaded to your PC/Mac/Lapptop whatever. Clicking it won;t make it automatically appear on your Kindle like a purchased book would.

So instead, plug your Kindle into your computer and wait for it to appear as a remote drive/directory.
    On your Kindle are various folders, one of which is called ‘documents’.
    Drop this file into that folder and away you go.

url…

premier.singletrackworld.com/p/prc/blamethedog.prc

Like I said, if you have the Kindle app on your iPhone or iPad you can try it using that. Just cut and paste that url into a browser window on your device and it sorts itself out 🙂

Our plans are to do more of this kind of Collection type book. I’m currently working on a book of all our early Armchair features from the first few years of the mag. But I’m also working on a book version of each issue. Probably just the wordy stuff ie. no grinder reviews etc.

A specific ePub version of the route guides could a great idea. Thanks Tortoise 🙂

Mark

That eBook is also on sale in the Amazon store BTW. It’s free to Premier users tho

sharkbait
    Free Member

Nice one. Looks Ok on my phone but since getting an iPad I’m converted to reading on that instead of the phone – handy to have when waiting for the wife on those dreary shopping trips 🙂

mossimus
    Free Member

You can also email the kindle version to your kindle email address.

peteimpreza

Very slick and functions just fine on my iPad2.

What other content are you planning to release?

Mark

More column collections
    Armchair features
    Travel collections
    Route guides

Any other suggestions welcome.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Excellent timing thanks! Just got a Kindle, going on holiday on Sunday, happy days. (BTW looks ok too).

BoardinBob

Hmm. Not working on my phone. I can see the book in ebooks but clicking on it does nothing.

beej

Working on my Kindle. Nice idea.

peteimpreza

So as a Premier member how do I get the iPad version of the mag?

Dave
    Free Member

I reckon an “eBook of the Bike Bivvy” is needed Mark ;o)

molgrips
    Free Member

It’s not going to be a periodical then via Amazon?

Mark

I’ve just signed us up to the periodical Beta programme with Amazon. That’s next weeks research.

Issue 66 is iPad compatible in Pageflip format. We’ve just upgraded the software and all future issues will work on iPad without having to download the PDF. All back issues are having PDF files optimised and there will be two versions of the PDF Hi Res and Low res. The Hi res will be considerably smaller than the existing ones.

So far I’ve upgraded issues 60 – 66. The rest of the mag archive will be upgraded over the coming weeks, especially when our work experience lad is here for two weeks in July 🙂

molgrips
    Free Member

So, how hard is it then to do all this stuff? Interested to hear about the other side of things 🙂

Like I say, you’ll get at least one new sub if you have a kindle edition 🙂

blades2000
    Free Member

Does anybody know if it is possible to get it to work on the Android kindle reader?
    Its ok I worked it out, just needed to convert the file to a different format.

Mark

What was the format for android? So I know to make sure to create that version too 🙂

blades2000
    Free Member

Hi Mark,
    I downloaded the file then converted the file on my computer using calibre to the kindle format (.mobi). I then moved the file into the kindle folder on my phone.

The original file also works on my wife’s Sony reader.

Really good idea making things into kindle format and looking forward to more publications.

john

The kindle .prc file works on the android kindle app for me (android 2.2, kindle 3.0.1). Downloaded it on the phone browser, moved the file from the browser download directory to the kindle folder, and it appeared in the app. No conversion or PC needed. Blades2000 – you weren’t converting the epub file rather than the kindle file were you?

blades2000
    Free Member

ahhh I downloaded the wrong file, oophs….That makes much more sense. 🙂

Barney_McGrew
    Free Member

I like it!
    Although I don’t do books 😀

2unfit2ride
    Free Member

Looks good, thanks.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Worked great for me. Downloaded to android phone, cut & paste from downloads to the kindle folder. Look forward to the next one 🙂

Mark

Easier way to transfer it to your Kindle without having to plug it into your PC or whatever..

When you set up your Kindle you will be issued a unique Kindle email address of the form <usernamegubbins>@kindle.com

To get a book onto your Kindle you can attach the file to an email and send it to your Kindle email address.

Then on your Kindle click Menu and ‘Sync & Check for Items’

That should do the trick 🙂

Mark

…which of course means we can develop a nice easy ‘Enter your Kindle email address here’ type system and have it sent directly to your Kindle from within the Mag Archive 🙂

timraven

Are you going to do an Android version?

That may just persuade me to go Premier 😮

Mark

The Kindle file will work on any Android phone with the Kindle App.

timraven

i was thinking more Tablet, Android 3

Mark

epub files should work on Android platforms too. How well depends on the app you have installed.

GregMay
    Free Member

Nice one! Pretty simple. Keep us updated when more Kindle versions come out 🙂

Thanks folks.

jeffcapeshop
    Free Member

re kindle email address, if you use <usernamegubbins>@free.kindle.com ir will wait until you’re in wifi range before sending it, otherwise it will send it via 3g and you’ll be charged. (assuming you have the 3g version)

also has to come from an address confirmed on your kindle account.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Singletrack eBook – Beta’ is closed to new replies.