Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)
  • Singlespeeds
  • spooked
    Free Member

I’m in the process of converting my old Chameleon over to singlespeed. I’ve dabbled on the road with a single speed and absolutely love it.

Just wondering what gearing you all use? And any chance of pics for inspiration 😉

Does anyone solely run singlespeed all year through? I’m down on the South Downs so I’m a bit unsure what would be a good gearing to start with…. With regards to bottom brackets hollow tech 2 stylee is there anything you would avoid?

Many thanks for any advice and pics 🙂

Have a good evening!

thepodge
    Free Member

My mate runs 34:20 round your way at this time of year

wwaswas

Try 32:18 on a 26″ wheel. I use 32:17 but some of the longer hills get a bit of a struggle.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    tazzymtb

If you face booky get over to one cog cycling about 500 hardcore ss idiots from around the worls and a massive wealth of friendly knowledge and piss taking and lots of bits up for grabs to make your transition into a bearded ss god as painless as possible.

Also some truly amazing ss road cx and mtb pics on there

aa
    Free Member

26″ wheels here. 32×16. In lumpy nw leics.
    i do just under 50% of my miles (so more in time) of my total riding on Ss.no idea about south downs riding. No problems with using ht2 bb, but I’m a spinner, not a masher.
    photo of my lovely bike in profile

Suggsey
    Free Member

Only just gone to a SS in all this mud locally. Not too hilly but really heavy clay settled on 33×16 with Surly Singleator with push up spring in for better chain wrap round rear gear. Bar ends too on risers to really make folk frown with a long stem but then the bike was massed up out my spares box!

spooked
    Free Member

That’s brilliant 🙂 thanks for the info! Aa that’s a lovely looking bike 🙂 I’m into Facebook now! Thank you!!!!

kcal

26″. currently it’s 32:16 with a fair few hills in NE Scotland. Drop down to 32:17 if I’m feeling faint of heart.
    Kona Kilauea.

Mileage – it does about 1/3 of my miles in a year? It’s always on SS mode.
    No idea about new fangled BB – mine is square taper 🙂

mattbee

32:18 on a 26″ wheel, South Downs, QECP, Lordswood all doable.
    Tends to be more for the winter but do use it all year depending on my mood.

daftusername
    Free Member

Any excuse to whore it out;

I use 34 18 for off road. 34 14 for commuting on marathons. 29er.

breadcrumb

I’ve got a 150mm FS and a SS HT, the HT sees a lot more miles than the FS.

Started SSing on a 26″ with 32:18 up in the Lakes, now on a 29er with 32:19. It was rideable with a 18t sprocket but more enjoyable with the 19.

Here’s a pic of my current SS, 2014 Unit. It’s had a few changes since the photo was taken, namely Rebas, Elixirs and Pro II Evo’s (in SS flavour).

I love SS, it’s frikin awesome!

birdage

Hi, I’m running 32:18 on a Swift which is fine most of the time round Lewes part of the South Downs. Only time it’s not great is on road at the end of a loop or something when mates on geared bikes have the advantage. Off-road though it’s more of an advantage and I spend less time cleaning the bike and shelling out for worn drive train bits. Thinking of trying 1×9 for the summer though just to compare.

Rickos
    Free Member

I run 32:17 in the FoD and Wye Valley.

IMAG0139 by Rick T., on Flickr

The red bikes by Rick T., on Flickr

danielgroves
    Free Member

32:16 on mine.

Mostly used for Dartmoor area and Mendips.

tmb467
    Free Member

Ran 32:16 for my local commute and also for general off-road duties pre- Christmas.

It ran great round Apperley Bridge and the sides of the valley. Even had it up Shipley Glen until I did my back in

Once summer comes round again I’ll be back on it, but it’s geared for now

cfinnimore
    Free Member

32/19 the now cause I’m getting hill fitness back.

This will be 32/16 next month cause I can manage.

Then 32/14 for trail centre smashing.

Funny fellow I am. Proud owner of two SS inbreds and a SS trials bike.

Singlespeeding all year for 3 years. Legs!

kcal

not sure of best way of sharing photo —

It now has proper chainring, Pace forks (still rigid), in fact most of the contact points different – but still goes really, really well.

jonba
    Free Member

No photos but 34:17 on 26″ wheels. It is fine for most things I ride. I can get round Kielder or Glentress on it as examples. Grip is as much an issue as anything away from manicured trails as I end up standing up to turn the pedals and the back end slides.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Off road singlespeed bike is 34-17. Urban commuter bike is 34-15 on slicks. May go to 14 on that. Both ridden more than any other bike. Both rigid and great to ride. Both on proper wheels not oversized things 😉

birdage

Mud One by Birdage, on Flickr

bigblackshed

33-17

FOD and Wales.

Hope HTII BB and Race Face Deus cranks with a KMC 9 speed chain, not a problem.
    I’m a fat biffer.120KG
    Guns like Hoy.

*2 out of 3 of these statements are true.

spooked
    Free Member

Thanks everyone 🙂 look amazing and appreciate the help. The bikes just look right if that makes sense?

Think I might start 32:18 to begin with.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Mrs TJ and my off road singlespeeds.
    Balls, that’s a bit small……bugger

dbukdbuk
    Free Member

2:1 it’s the lore. 32:16 or 34:17 or 36:18 are all acceptable.

rogerthecat
    Free Member

Running 34 wibbly ring and 18 cog in the Peaks – seems just a wee bit hard, once I can ride again may try 34 wibbly and 20 for some of the longer hills.
    Only ride SS year round, will have full SS on the road soon too so Podge can have a play.

fattylee
    Free Member

Another newbie single speeder here….. Absolutely loving the silent bike. 32-18 29er but may gear down to 32-16 as a little spinny.

plus-one

32×15 I’m a stubborn b*****d 😉

Untitled by Plus one2010, on Flickr

thepodge
    Free Member

Oof, that chrome Genesis looks much better than my poo brown one

I’m riding 32:17 here in the Peak but thinking of going to 18 or maybe 19 as I’m trying to spin instead of mashing

And yay to a full suspension SS, I enjoyed mine at the world’s two years back but it was a rushed bodge so had loads of room for improvement

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Running a rigid singlespeed 29er on the Isle of Wight, so similar terrain to the South Downs, just not quite so much of it.

Gearing is 34:18, although the front ring is one of Tazzy’s GoldTec OneKey numbers.

Gets me up most stuff. Although the unholy trinity of clay-ey mud everywhere, howling winds and ebbing winter fitness have seen see me engaging the two-footed emergency gear quite a bit recently. 🙁

takisawa2

Any excuse…
    33:18 for mincing round Cannock.

IMAG1123 by pten2106, on Flickr

wwaswas

Ran my Giant as a singlespeed with a Rohloff tensioner for a while.

I do wish I hadn’t sold it 🙁

Currently riding this with the same Rohloff;

quaacck
    Free Member

I run 32-15, but I do live in Essex 😀
    I saw a hill once, it was nice

thepodge
    Free Member

Of the three full suspension SS I know of, all are giants

st66

[/url] P1040438 by stalbot66, on Flickr[/img]

Another inbred 29er.

Started off with 33:19 but now using 32:19 (Edinburgh). Also a good old square taper BB cos the cranks were cheap.

Kryton57

More fun than you believe:

Untitled

TiRed

Genesis ioid Alfine with lightweight Hope/Crests and single speed sprocket and Soma Sparrow bars/Ergon grips for pulling on when climbing. Running 32:17. Everyone who sees it seemed to want a go. Must be the bars 😉

spooked
    Free Member

Amazing looking bikes 🙂 for a shopping list I’m thinking I need:

Chain tugs due to horizontal drop outs
    Bottom bracket probably XT. Will a saint fit my bottom bracket?
    New 7-8 speed chain. I have a 9 speed one but I don’t think it’ll work
    Spacers
    Shimano DX cog

Will a DX cog be ok on a hope pro 2 free hub? Or should I be looking at something else?

Thanks again for the help and inspiration. Can’t wait to get it finished 🙂

plus-one

Yes your cog will work fine .. But maybe get a wide base sprocket to stop the alloy on freehub getting chewed ..

Superstar and halo(pricey) do them

🙂

wwaswas

9 speed chain will be fine at a minimum I would get;

single ring type front ring (ie. no ramps)
    wide bottom rear cog

(on-one do both the above – I got good miles out of their stainless front rign and the groove armada cogs have a wide base to them)

Spacers
    9 speed chain will be fine
    look at Merlin for cheap BB’sa – they’re doign them in their overstock sale.
    you only need a chain tub on the drive side – again on-one do reasonable priced ones.

Yak

I’d suggest 32:18 for the south downs to start with/ winter then change to 32:16 as you get used to it/ and/or the trails dry out a bit.

Yes – wide based cog. Cheapo superstar, or much better get a surly or velosolo stainless steel one. Will be better value in the long run. Pair this with a surly, on one or velo solo stainless chainring and you’ll have a good many miles out of them before replacement. KMC 3/32 chains too. Use lots of thin spacers, not those massive ones in the all-in-one kits. Gets your chainline spot on. Any crank/bb will do as long as it fits the cog.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeeds’ is closed to new replies.