Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Singlespeed road gear Q
  • oldgit
    Free Member

What’s the go to ratio for long distance road work as I want to do another SR next year but on my mates new companies single/fixed frames.

MrSmith
    Free Member

67-72 gear inches

simondbarnes

69 inches

oldgit
    Free Member

Cheers I’d have probably gone 42×16 70″? Is that from experience.

Bez

42×16 always worked fine for me.

oldnick

42×18 on my old winter hack fixed wheel, but that was to deal with Derbyshire hills and make me spin the rest of the time.

epicyclo

On a fixie I’d use medium gear, 72″. That was ok to take me round the Dingwall/Ullapool/Ledmore/Struie/Dingwall loop, and I’m an old git too.

For a freewheel bike, I’d aim for 65″ for general pootling. My current bike is a converted 29er on 67″ and that was nice for a quick zap around Orkney and my normal riding in the Highlands.

oldgit
    Free Member

I want to stay well within my capabilities. 200/300/400/600 is tough enough with gears. So we reckon 42×16 will do.

TiRed

42×16, or if you already have the rings, 48×18 provides marginally lower resistance. Fine for rolling country and will get you up a hill fixed. The gearing is 16.7 mph at 80rpm. You will struggle with anything approaching 30 mph. Fit a rear brake.

CraigW
    Free Member

I think between 65″ and 70″ makes sense for fixed. I’ve done a variety of hilly audaxes on that. I don’t want too big a gear, spinning is good. Yes, its worth having front and rear brakes, nice to control the speed on steep descents.

MrSmith
    Free Member

So we reckon 42×16 will do.

48:18 would be a better bet. 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed road gear Q’ is closed to new replies.