Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • singlespeed full sus – GT and Mongoose?
  • Rickos
    Free Member

Toying with the idea of a full sus ss bike and was thinking that a GT or Mongoose may be a good candidate with their nearly a URT type rear end. Anyone used one for ss or care to confirm my suspicions? Or totally obliterate them as well…

TimP
    Free Member

Complete post?

Rickos
    Free Member

Yes, completed now. On the phone and my finger brushed the send post button. 🙄

TimP
    Free Member

Someone at Brighton Big Dog had a Maverick with an Alfine if that helps?

cookeaa

the issue might be….

nearly a URT type rear end

Rear axle and BB centers don’t remain a constant distance apart, so you’d need a sprung device of some sort… kind of defeating the whole point of he exercise…

Kona A or Cowan FS, Old cove G spot or hustler? Mr Big ST10? Maverick as mentioned above… There’s a few options…

zerocool

GT/Mongoose bikes don’t quite work single speed. I’ve had to do it a few times when I’ve wrecked my mech on holiday or many miles from home. But they would probably work with a chain tensioner. As said above you would really need something that pivots around the BB such as a Cowan DS or Commencal SX

cynic-al
    Free Member

Rickos…ebay beckons:

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Anything with a proper URT or a rear end that pivots around the BB will work. Someone on here a while back (br?) SS’d an old Klein Mantra (and ran it with rigids!). Looked ace but I suspected rode like it was broken.

Gotama
    Free Member

Just use an old mech as a chain tensioner and lock it in place with the limit screws. Then pick whatever suss frame you like. I’d suggest that you use something with a suspension design that reists squat when you stand up and mash or those hills are going to be a reaaaaal pita.

psling
    Free Member

Be nice to find a Kona A for sale somewhere [rocking horse poo?]

Anything that pivots around the bottom bracket with a fixed chain stay length.

phinw
    Free Member

DMR Bolt
    NS Soda Slope

Both rotate around the bb shell.

thepodge
    Free Member

I ran my trance with an alfine and as a SS, bit of a faff to setup but fine after that.

I’m now running a commencal absolut sx and it’s the best bike I’ve ever owned

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘singlespeed full sus – GT and Mongoose?’ is closed to new replies.