singlespeed full sus – GT and Mongoose?

Home Forum Bike Forum singlespeed full sus – GT and Mongoose?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • singlespeed full sus – GT and Mongoose?
  • TimP

Complete post?

Rickos

Yes, completed now. On the phone and my finger brushed the send post button. 🙄

TimP

Someone at Brighton Big Dog had a Maverick with an Alfine if that helps?

Rickos

Toying with the idea of a full sus ss bike and was thinking that a GT or Mongoose may be a good candidate with their nearly a URT type rear end. Anyone used one for ss or care to confirm my suspicions? Or totally obliterate them as well…

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

the issue might be….

nearly a URT type rear end

Rear axle and BB centers don’t remain a constant distance apart, so you’d need a sprung device of some sort… kind of defeating the whole point of he exercise…

Kona A or Cowan FS, Old cove G spot or hustler? Mr Big ST10? Maverick as mentioned above… There’s a few options…

zerocool

GT/Mongoose bikes don’t quite work single speed. I’ve had to do it a few times when I’ve wrecked my mech on holiday or many miles from home. But they would probably work with a chain tensioner. As said above you would really need something that pivots around the BB such as a Cowan DS or Commencal SX

cynic-al

Rickos…ebay beckons:

Anything with a proper URT or a rear end that pivots around the BB will work. Someone on here a while back (br?) SS’d an old Klein Mantra (and ran it with rigids!). Looked ace but I suspected rode like it was broken.

Gotama

Just use an old mech as a chain tensioner and lock it in place with the limit screws. Then pick whatever suss frame you like. I’d suggest that you use something with a suspension design that reists squat when you stand up and mash or those hills are going to be a reaaaaal pita.

Premier Icon psling
    Subscriber

Be nice to find a Kona A for sale somewhere [rocking horse poo?]

Anything that pivots around the bottom bracket with a fixed chain stay length.

phinw

DMR Bolt
    NS Soda Slope

Both rotate around the bb shell.

thepodge

I ran my trance with an alfine and as a SS, bit of a faff to setup but fine after that.

I’m now running a commencal absolut sx and it’s the best bike I’ve ever owned

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘singlespeed full sus – GT and Mongoose?’ is closed to new replies.